CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tristar Setter?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:05 am 
Crown Grade

news,

Good catch! The TriStar Setter appears to be the same gun as the Khan Setter.

If memory serves me right, the Mossberg Silver Reserve is also made by Khan and they had lots of problems with broken firing pins. Not sure if they solved this problem yet as I haven't seen any recent Silver Reserve reviews on SGW. Until I found out if this is still a problem, I'd personally steer clear of the TriStar Setter and any other Khan O/U.

One good thing, the TT-09 mono trap gun I'm so curious about, looks nothing like the Khan mono trap gun. Wonder who's making this for TriStar?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

Steer clear you say. Well I guess now we have it on good authority.

Several thousand guns on my books, but sometime people don't want knowledgeable advise and need to learn lessons the hard way, and sometime I'm perfectly willing to help them do that. Thus I've sold some real POS when far better things might have been had for far less money.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Old,

Many thanks for your contribution to the discussion. I'm sure your "books" could speak volumes about the FOUR TriStars you've seen in your lifetime.

BTW, I bet my local pawn shop has had as many shotguns on their "books" as you have. For some strange reason I would never ask them for purchase advice.

Take your lumps and move on.

Griz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:18 am 
Crown Grade

So much for the friendliest gun site on the web, eh? Seems like whenever members of the POSGOA are confronted with experience and common sense, the mud slinging starts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:31 am 
Diamond Grade

What lumps Grizz? Seems you finally recognized the Tristar for what I claimed all along, something to be avoided. The only lump I suffered was your original opinion under the sole of my shot. While it stunk, I didn't stumble on it. Just wiped it off and went on. I'll be more careful and try not to step in your opinion in the future, the stink is annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:24 am 
Crown Grade

Old,

I'm sorry if you got challenged on your blanket statement about the TriStar Setter which as it turned out, was simply your uneducated opinion about a gun that you knew nothing about.

As it turned out, we actually did find out some more information about the TriStar Setter, even without your "expert" help. Perhaps the OP will find it useful. I'm sure you would have also cautioned him had you known it was a Khan-made O/U, but apparently you must have forgotten all about this in your rush to label it a POS.

As far as lumps goes, anytime you shoot your mouth off and make ignorant pronouncements about the quality of a gun you know nothing about and get called on it, I call that a lump.

SS,

I think POSGOA must stand for "Piece of S*** Gun Owners Association? Being a happy Stoeger Condor owner and a frequent spokesman on behalf of the sub-$1000 O/U crowd, I'd be proud to be a member of this august group.

However, don't forget to mention the IGOAEBIAEAYADA group on SGW. You know, the "I've Got Opinions About Everything Because I'm An Expert And You're A Dumba**" group for which Old is seeking to become President.

As far as mud slinging goes, you can't be serious.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Tristars, Condors, Huglus, Baikals..... life is way too good to be handicapped with these. However, I'm glad they have a voice Alan, and I'm glad you are a proud member of that group. I just hope not too many newer shooters have to learn the hard way when you keep pushing those sub $1K wonders. They are, in the long run, the most expensive guns you can buy.

I know, you don't have to tell me, you regularly outshoot guys with K80s and Perazzis. You are the reigning champion of the National Pasture Clay Target Shoot and the Meadow Muffic Open. You won these events with your trusty Condor and since you have 1500 rounds through is with zero issues, there's absolutely no reason to shoot anything else. Those who shoot those pricey guns are, after all, nothing more than condesending elitists, the evil 1% and grumpy old farts. So be it. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think the point that is being missed is the end use of the inexpensive guns. If your intent is to shoot 10,000 plus round a year you will most likely be disappointed in the results. If on the other hand you shoot a few rounds a year to keep sharp for hunting season then they may be a good alternative to something that is more expensive. Some of the owners of these guns may not shoot 10,000 rounds in a lifetime.

Just my observation...
DeWayne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well, it is hard to miss the condescending remarks aimed at the and and often the guys that shoot them. Personally, I don't understand why some guys seem to go worked up about this. I could care less what other people shoot. If I have knowledge of something I'll share it, good or bad, and let they guy asking figure out if I matters or not. I have need to influence someone one way or another and will never understand why some others do.

As far as shoot 10,000 rounds a year, if you are spending $2400 a yeah on shells you are probably already looking at a different class of gun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:31 pm 
Crown Grade

DeWayne & Berrud,

Precisely!

SS,

Out shoot the guys with the P, K, or B guns? Sometimes, but not too often. They take this shooting business a lot more seriously than I do. I'm just a happy weekend shooter who'll occasionally go to an ATA shoot with friends from the club. I've never won any shooting awards or plan to win any in the future. Pure and simple, I go shooting because I like to go shooting. I'm sure most of the folks considering buying a less expensive shotgun are a lot like me.

As a recreational shooter, I don't need to buy a 10K round/year gun. It would be nice to have one and be able to bask in the immediate acceptance I'd receive from the P, K, B-gun crowd on SGW. Fortunately, the guys and gals at my club don't give a rat's patootie what kind of gun I show up with or the kind of car I drive, for that matter.

Actually I've put close to 2,000 trouble-free rounds through my Condor since I purchased it last March. I would have shot it more, but I also took turns shooting my Weatherby Athena Grade IV trap combo, my Charles Daly Venture Trap, and the Silver Eagle SA I picked up on a GB auction. They fill my needs and if I want more guns, I can go out and buy them. Owning them has not handicapped me or my shooting in the least. However, I've never shot any pasture clays or powdered any meadow muffins, so I can only hope that my guns would be up to the task.

You and I disagree completely when it comes to new shooters.

I don't buy into the argument that a newbie has to spend a ton of money to get into shooting or settle for a used gun. Most of us, probably including you, started small. I shot an 870 for many years before I upgraded to my Weatherby. I started out with a cheap Spanish 20 ga. O/U before I bought a Frigon 4-barrel skeet set. The point I'm trying to make is that when you're first learning to drive, you don't need to do so in a Cadillac.

The sub-$1,000 guns you dump on are the guns many of these new shooters are considering and are writing in about. Rather than dump on their choices, why not try to given them some helpful advice, based on actual experience with the gun they're asking about. Blanket "It's a POS" remarks offer the new shooter no useful information. Rather, they demonstrate the ignorance and bias of the poster. This is what ticks me off the most any time the subject of inexpensive shotguns come up.

I'm sure we'll have this conversation again

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:10 pm 
Utility Grade

At the Risk of re-opening the can of worms. (See Previouse posts)

I bought a Tristar Setter, 12 Gauge, 28" Barrel, 3" Chamber in April of 2012. The Gun is made by the Kral factory in Turkey not Kahn like previously thought. The gun shoots nicely enough but the finish on the stock is not up to par with the more expensive guns. However, this is what you would expect. I also have had to cover the trigger gaurd with leather lacing because the edges are rather sharp and tend to wear on your hand after awhile. I bought it because my 15 year old got involved with 4H trap and skeet and I wanted a gun so I could shout a few rounds here and there with him. He was using a Beretta Semi-automatic provided by the club. I have no doubt the gun would have worked fine for many years if I were the only one using the gun. However, my son talked me into letting him use my gun to practice skeet with one day and was hooked on the O/U. It is just easier to use in his mind, feels better, is easier to clean, and fits better.
He had shot about 2000 to 2500 before the bottom firing pin broke during a Skeet Shoot. Kinda strange that the bottom firing pin broke because he uses the top barrel for Trap so it has had more of the 2500 rounds shot through it.
Tristar has a 1 year Parts and Labor Warranty and an additional 4 years of parts only.
I sent it back to Trisar they repaired it and had it back in my hands in less than 2 weeks. 4 days on UPS there, 1 day at Tristar, 3 days on UPS back to me.
If you want to use this gun for Sporting clays keep extra parts on hand or even an extra gun. At $500 a gun you can afford that pretty easy if your only other options are $1500 to $5000 for a Beretta or some other gun. Oh and by the way the Beretta owners also take extra guns and keep extra parts on hand at these types of events just in case their gun breaks. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:22 pm 
Crown Grade

d99,

Thanks for an honest and informative post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

It first broke after 6 months, and you are ok with that. So if this trend continues, you will send it back 8 times before the parts warranty expires. That's about what I would expect of a new $500 O/U. I wonder what they are going to charge for labor after the first year?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:57 am 
Crown Grade

Oldfarmer wrote:
It first broke after 6 months, and you are ok with that. So if this trend continues, you will send it back 8 times before the parts warranty expires. That's about what I would expect of a new $500 O/U. I wonder what they are going to charge for labor after the first year?

Another example of "The New Norm". How would you like that gun to break when you're 1000 miles from home on a hunting trip? What good is the warranty then?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:22 am 
Tournament Grade

I bought a TT-09 Tristar because I didn't want to invest BT99 money in a gun for just one game, but did want a dedicated trap gun. I had to shorten the stock (I wear a 15-32 shirt) and I put a trigger shoe on it. It has been working just fine for 3 years now with about 2000 rounds through it so far. I doubt my grandchildren will inherit it, but I'm shooting in the 20s with it and having fun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:53 am 
Crown Grade

Old & SS,

My shooting buddy's 20 ga. Browning XS Skeet went back to Browning for repairs 3 times during the first 6 months he owned it. Each time it took 6-8 weeks before he got it back. Finally they ended up giving him a new gun.

I wonder, is this the "The New Norm" we should expect from $2,500 Browning's?

Same thread, different day, same old BS.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:06 pm 
Crown Grade

GrizzlyAlan wrote:
Old & SS,

My shooting buddy's 20 ga. Browning XS Skeet went back to Browning for repairs 3 times during the first 6 months he owned it. Each time it took 6-8 weeks before he got it back. Finally they ended up giving him a new gun.

I wonder, is this the "The New Norm" we should expect from $2,500 Browning's?

Same thread, different day, same old BS.

Perhaps the New Norm has effected a lot of things, a lot of companies. It only exists because consumers allow it. Before you know it, everything you touch will be junk. I too have heard of Browning issues, though I have not experienced any myself and own several of them. Knock on wood, the only gun I have ever sent back for repair was a Turkish wonder (CZ/Huglu) - no more of that stuff for me. If consumers today demanded great products, we would not be having this discussion, but they don't.

The larger problem is if consumers don't control the market, manufacturers will take advantage of their ignorance. For instance, yet another Turkish POS that is new to the market, Linberta (imported by Buds Gun Shop, AKA Guns Inc), ships their guns with spare firing pins. Jeeeez, why would you do that instead of fixing the frigg'n problem. The New Norm.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Good points.

My shooting buddy has relegated his Browning to the back of the safe and bought a Beretta to replace it.

Let's face it, a POS is a POS, no matter how much you paid for it.

Any importer/manufacturer who includes spare firing pins with his guns doesn't have much faith in his product. How sad.

To paraphrase a quote from W.C. Fields, "All things considered, I'd rather own a Stoeger". :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

I grew up hunting then quit for 25 years. When my son expressed an interest in hunting: I did not not know if he would keep at it and we were a single income family. So I bought him a mossberg bantam and me a stoeger 2000. I liked the stoeger just fine and after doing some research I did some judicious filing and sanding - it cycles 1 oz loads now. I am so thankful that I did not start reading this website until long after I bought the Stoeger - I would have felt so embarassed and foolish for buying such a POS I would have needed therapy.
The Stoeger now belongs to my daughter's boyfriend and is still going strong after seven years.
I and my family are hunters so I guess that classifies us a recreational shooters. That is probably the reason we like our two Weatherby SA-08's so much, we don't shoot them enough to realize they are a Turkish POS. There must be an "All Turkish Guns are POS" virus that afflicts some people. There are plenty of POS Turkish guns out there but there are also some quality ones too. That is like saying that all German's are Nazis, all Russian's are reds, all Texan's brag about their state b/c they love it. Maybe the Texan analogy wasn't a good one since it is true. I do cringe when certain brands of shotguns are bashed on Shotgun World because that is all some people can afford. It also seems like some of the bashing is a Pavlovian response. Some people will say to buy a used 1100 or 3901 instead, there are plenty out there. Sorry but look on gunbroker and see how many used 3901's you see. I haven't looked for 1100's because they are not my cup of tea. I'm not bashing the 1100, there are just other shotguns I like better. In the family we now have two Weatherby SA-08's, two Affinity's, four SX3's and a Maxus. I like all of them better than the Stoeger but I would not hesitate to buy another Stoeger or a Tristar if they were all I could afford.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Oldfarmer wrote:
The local Shrine Club raffled one off a while back. I gave them 5 bucks but didn't take a ticket. Didn't want to run the risk of actually winning the thing. What would I have done with the thing if I'd have won it? Wouldn't have kept it, wouldn't have felt right giving it to a friend, guess I could have sold some parts, everyone who has one needs parts. Then i could melt the barrels for scrap and burn the wood in the fire place, but that would have been a lot of trouble. I was best off to just make sure my 5 dollars didn't win it.

Well i tell you what oldfarmer give me the 5$ you gave to the raffle and i will enter it. I have a tristar setter ST and have no bad things to say about it. Oh wait you said you never have had one or shot one so i guess really your opinion doesn't matter and since you have never shot one or owned one you really don't know what your talking about on here for this forum and since you don't own one and never shot one you shouldn't be offering an opinion on something you have no experience with.

Now that being said, for the price of 350$ its a good buy and a good shoot have not had any problems with mine and have not needed any spare parts because i broke my gun. I guess that's because i take care of my guns and clean them regularly and don't use and abuse them. And why on earth would you compare this gun at a price of 350$ on sale to a Bellini at 1000$..... that's like comparing a pinto to a corvette come on use a little common sense.