CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: W. Richards Double barrel Shotgun - Looking for information
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello Everyone-

I've been trying to get some info on a shotgun I've had since my grandfather passed away.

There are a few markings on it, saying "W. Richards" on both sides. In my research, it seems that if it is not spelled out completely, it may not be a real Westley Richards, but instead a cheaper knock off...

On the top of the barrel, almost faded out, is "laminated steel"

There is a design on the rear of the gun.

The only other marking is the number "3379" on the bottom between the two barrells. When I go to http://www.westleyrichards.co.uk/GUNS/G ... entication and type it in, it shows the gun was made in 1865. Does this mean that they made the gun, or that it was just made in 1865?

If anyone can help guide me on whether this is worth much or not, I would really appreciate it. If it is, I will get the history authentication from the website and then possible sell it.

Thanks, and please take a look at the pictures!

Post subject: Re: W. Richards Double barrel Shotgun - Looking for informat
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:25 pm 
Crown Grade

It is most assuredly a cheap Belgian knock off trying to play on a high quality name. From the 1880s to WW-I Belgium exported hundreds of thousands of the very cheapest of doubles marked with all manner of fanciful names.

W. Richards from 123 Years Ago -- Back in 1889 the magazine Forest and Stream was doing a series of pattern and penetration tests of various shotguns available to the American shooting public in each issue. For the September 26 issue they decided to take a break from the Greener, Scott, L.C. Smith, Winchester Model 1887, Colt, Remington, etc., and test H & D Folsom's cheapest doubles. Here is a brief quote of what they had to say --

“...but the mean grade gun of no name. "W. Richards," that nonentity in the gun trade, was stamped on the plate, but they were really only those cheap bits of ordnance which come through our custom houses, pay a duty of 40 per cent., and yet may be placed on the counters of the gun shop at $5 a piece. The Forest and Stream has already in past times expressed its opinion about these pestiferous products of the penurious population clustered on Belgian soil.”

Take that H & D Folsom!!!

Post subject: Re: W. Richards Double barrel Shotgun - Looking for informat
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Researcher01 wrote:
It is most assuredly a cheap Belgian knock off trying to play on a high quality name. From the 1880s to WW-I Belgium exported hundreds of thousands of the very cheapest of doubles marked with all manner of fanciful names.

W. Richards from 123 Years Ago -- Back in 1889 the magazine Forest and Stream was doing a series of pattern and penetration tests of various shotguns available to the American shooting public in each issue. For the September 26 issue they decided to take a break from the Greener, Scott, L.C. Smith, Winchester Model 1887, Colt, Remington, etc., and test H & D Folsom's cheapest doubles. Here is a brief quote of what they had to say --

“...but the mean grade gun of no name. "W. Richards," that nonentity in the gun trade, was stamped on the plate, but they were really only those cheap bits of ordnance which come through our custom houses, pay a duty of 40 per cent., and yet may be placed on the counters of the gun shop at $5 a piece. The Forest and Stream has already in past times expressed its opinion about these pestiferous products of the penurious population clustered on Belgian soil.”

Take that H & D Folsom!!!

Thanks for the info!!! I've found out its a fake! Oh well!!