CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: W. Richards Double Barrel. Looking for Value
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:14 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello Everyone-

I've been trying to get some info on a shotgun I've had since my grandfather passed away.

There are a few markings on it, saying "W. Richards" on both sides. In my research, it seems that if it is not spelled out completely, it may not be a real Westley Richards, but instead a cheaper knock off...

On the top of the barrel, almost faded out, is "laminated steel"

There is a design on the rear of the gun.

The only other marking is the number "3379" on the bottom between the two barrells. When I go to http://www.westleyrichards.co.uk/GUNS/G ... entication and type it in, it shows the gun was made in 1865. Does this mean that they made the gun, or that it was just made in 1865?

If anyone can help guide me on whether this is worth much or not, I would really appreciate it. If it is, I will get the history authentication from the website and then possible sell it.

Thanks, and please take a look at the pictures!

Post subject: Re: W. Richards Double Barrel. Looking for Value
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

It's a low quality Belgian gun given a "Name Brand" to fool the unknowing; Sam Holt & T. Barker are others. It is not safe to shoot, with ANY load.
More examples here http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20091267

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Directions Against Covetousness
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Kingsley Brown "Shoot more, shop less."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:10 pm 
Utility Grade

Drew Hause wrote:
It's a low quality Belgian gun given a "Name Brand" to fool the unknowing; Sam Holt & T. Barker are others. It is not safe to shoot, with ANY load.
More examples here http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20091267

Are you able to tell since the name is not complete? Or just by the look of it? I was suprised the number had a match on the Wesley Richards website if it wasnt made by them. I definitely wont be shooting it. Thanks for the response and information!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bjs1785 wrote:
it may not be a real Westley Richards, but instead a cheaper knock off...

There's no "may be" about it... it's absolutely, unequivocally not a Westley Richards. If the serial number were a series of letters and numbers (ie: Z378T123A), it might not seem absurd to think you have a match... but all you have is a 4 digit numerical...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

Definately not a real Westley Richards. All authentic Westley Richards had the name completely spelled out. Plus I believe an English address on the rib.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:26 pm 
Utility Grade

drsfmd wrote:
bjs1785 wrote:

There's no "may be" about it... it's absolutely, unequivocally not a Westley Richards. If the serial number were a series of letters and numbers (ie: Z378T123A), it might not seem absurd to think you have a match... but all you have is a 4 digit numerical...

Thanks for the info. Dont really know much about firearms so thats why I am here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:40 am 
Presentation Grade

bjs1785 wrote:
drsfmd wrote:
bjs1785 wrote:

Thanks for the info. Dont really know much about firearms so thats why I am here.

No problem One only learns by asking. The bad thing is there were a lot of well known gun makers who had their names changed just enough by gun makers in Belgium who turned out cheaper fakes by the thousands. The example W Richards instead of Westley Richards is just one of many examples. Unfortunately, the fakes have little value.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:04 pm 
Field Grade

You are correct that it is not a Westley Richards but it is rather a W. Richards who was a gunmaker in Liverpool and I think that they had a London shot for a while.

It looks like it was made before around 1875 but has not been cared for. As a result getting it in shooting condition with for example a Teague barrel liner would be uneconomic. Hate to think what the inside of the locks look like and the stock needs a full refresh. All in all it would look good on a wall and be a conversation piece.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

4rtr wrote:
You are correct that it is not a Westley Richards but it is rather a W. Richards who was a gunmaker in Liverpool and I think that they had a London shot for a while.

It looks like it was made before around 1875 but has not been cared for. As a result getting it in shooting condition with for example a Teague barrel liner would be uneconomic. Hate to think what the inside of the locks look like and the stock needs a full refresh. All in all it would look good on a wall and be a conversation piece.

I'm betting that if you look on the underside of the barrels you will find Belgian proof marks, not English.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Been through this many time before. Back in the late 1800s and early 1900s (1900 to about 1914) many thousands of inexpensive shotguns were imported into the United States. Makers of these guns paid little attention to copyright laws (if there were any) in naming their shotguns. They chose names approximating well known names designed to make the unknowing, uneducated and not caring into thinking they were buying a well known quality shotgun when they were actually buying a cheap piece of junk. Westley Richards always spelled their name out in full. I have listings for others like just plain Richards, G.B. Richards, John P. Richards, M. Richards, W. Richards, W. Richards Best Birmingham Make, two W. Richards (both English and independent of each other) and finally W.& H. Richards. Most are/were Belgian made.