CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Citori vs. Beretta
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:42 pm 
Hello everyone, I have hunted for some time using only a Mossy 500 pump 12ga. Recently I have started shooting some clays with this gun, but evidently it isn't the tool for the job, although my scores are pretty good for a newbie "shooting a broom stick" as someone said on the course hehehe... anyway i love my mossy and plan to keep, but was wondering which 12ga o/u would be better for clays and field
trying to decide citori field vs beretta white wing or onyx
i have seen some baikals and heard that for the money paid you get quite a gun. what do u guys think/suggest?

Post subject: Re: Browning Citori vs. Beretta
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'll say it first before anyone else does: Brownings and Berettas are both fine guns, the best in their class of expense. Which one you prefer is entirely a personal choice, because the guns feel different. The Citori tends to be heavier, which some people prefer because it helps smooth out your swing and it reduces felt recoil. The Berettas are lighter, faster and slimmer, which other people prefer. Both of these guns are common at gun clubs and they tend to keep a high resale value if they're kept in good shape.

I've shot both, like them both, but prefer the Beretta. I use a 686E Sporting 20-gauge with 30-inch barrels. I have my eye on a new White Onyx Sporting 12-gauge with the Optima barrels and chokes, which is a good buy these days, a lot of gun for the money.
<p>
<p>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:03 pm 
Limited Edition

Whichever you choose get a "sporting" model even for a field gun.

Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sponx,

Like Austin said brownings and Berettas are great guns and well worth the money. I happen to prefer the Citori because it fits me better that the Beretta. I ONLY USE IT FOR CLAYS.

I also own a Baikal 12 gage o/u and like everyone says it is a lot of gun for the money. I would rather carry it around in the field and chance getting it beat up than my Citori. I don't think the Baikal will ever hold its value but a Citori will if kept well, like one of the other guys said.

But I will make one other comment about Baikal. It shoots great and I've scored well with it on the trap range and impressed some of the "nay sayers" at my club. I don't think it will hold up as well as a Citori on the long run, but in the meantime the clay birds and pheasants can't tell if they have been shot by a Browning or a Baikal but non the less they are still dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Shooting...............Levi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:06 am 
Most pheasants I've talked to prefer to be shot by expensive guns and expensive ammo .... they were, however, mostly hen birds at expensive private hunting clubs out east.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:39 am 
Tournament Grade

Get a sporting model. The White Onyx seems to be a very nice model, and is relatively cheap. I really like berettas personally, and of course Brownings are nice also. You won't be sorry with a sporting model, if that's what you are going to use it for, and even a Beretta sporting model is certainly acceptable weight for lugging around fields all day, as it is lighter than most (but not all) Brownings, which tend to be heavier.

Patrick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:03 am 
Thanks all for your comments... I had my mind floating between a Browning & the berettas, however as u all say "If it Is dead or blown up it really doesnt matter what u used"... as long as you down more than the people around u, isnt it right? hehehe
i'll keep the weight thing in mind when making my choice
ill look closer at the baikals, since probably i will be taking the gun out for hunting quite a lot, and i sure dont want to mess up a nice citori or beretta... even if they'll hold up better than the russians.
thanks again

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sponx,

I don't own one but many people on this forum talk highly about the DeHaan shotguns...they are a middle of the price range gun. It won't hurt to take a look at all the options.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:14 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't hunt just shoot clays. I have shot Beretta 686s and Brownings 425 and 525 and settled on the 525. All were great guns but I felt most comfortable with the 525. My wife however shoots a Beretta 391. Also a great gun. Get what you can afford and what fits you. In my mind the 525 is a tool to shoot so I'm not all hung up on it's looks but I do plan on taking real good care of it. I don't think you can go wrong with either make.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:25 pm 
email me I have a citori lighting for sale with 7 chokes and a sims recoil pad for sale. jtschmitz@excite.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:09 pm 
Field Grade

I'm going to really confuse you. I hunt with a browning superlight but shoot registered skeet with a beretta 682 gold. The superlight is quick in the field and the beretta is heavier for smooth swing. The white wings or onyx are lighter guns under 7 lbs and the superlight is under 7 as well. The other brownings may run a little heavier. Also have you considered a verona they're half the price of the b guns and little more than the baikels.