CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Semi Auto For Clays....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Like the title says, I am looking for opinions on the best semi auto to use for clays - pimarily trap and sporting clays.

Italian is preferred, but am open to anything. I have a Beretta Teknys Gold Target already and I am not interested in the UGB. I also have an A400 Xplor Action with KO that I like a lot (although a bit light). I like the looks of the A400 Xcel as well as the Benelli Super Sport II, but have not had an opportunity to fire either one. Not sure if either are an upgrade over my Teknys.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Mike

Post subject: Re: Best Semi Auto For Clays....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Sounds like you already have the best one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:30 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a super sport it is a bit light as well but the recoil system is awesome to me it was worth every penny. The gun has never let me down once. For a semi auto it cycles target load really well.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The best Semi-Auto for you for clays is the one you shoot the best, I use a field Semi-Auto for clays, because it fits me and I shoot it well. Shoot what you are comfortable with.

cdb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Swadehead wrote:
I have a Beretta Teknys Gold Target

That's the one............

TM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am seriously considering a Benelli Performance Shop Super Sport.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

The Teknys that you already own is going to rate at or near the top of any sort of objective rating for busting clay targets.

Now what you need is a Soul Shooter's gun: Winchester Super x-1
Very addicting.

Weagle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

weagle wrote:
The Teknys that you already own is going to rate at or near the top of any sort of objective rating for busting clay targets.

Kind of what I thought, but I have the itch to buy something new.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:24 am 
Crown Grade

I think you probably already have as good a clay target semiauto as there is, with that Teknys. Have you considered looking at real guns for your next purchase?

The SP III Sporting is back, and not badly priced, for example.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:30 am 
Diamond Grade

well it's the OP's money and he seems he wants to spend it so I'll throw this out there:

Winchester SX3 Sporting

I myself have been contemplating buying this gun. It seems like you get a lot of gun for the money, especially some of the nice wood grain (real wood grain, not the sprayed on Beretta Xtragain garbage) and an adjustable comb.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:44 am 
Crown Grade

The Teknys, an upscale model, comes with nicer wood than any Winchester I've seen. It's real, too. That's the point. He's already got a nicer gun. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:03 am 
Presentation Grade

Swadehead wrote:
weagle wrote:

That's why I'm suggesting an old Winchester Super x-1. For half the money you are considering spending, you can get a super nice SX-1 and your teknys will probably become your back up gun :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BarryD wrote:
Have you considered looking at real guns for your next purchase?

The SP III Sporting is back, and not badly priced, for example.

Money is not really an issue. As far as "real guns" go...I have many o/u shotguns already including 6 or 7 Berettas (DT10L, 682 Gold E, several 686s). Not sure if those are real enough.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

weagle wrote:
Swadehead wrote:
weagle wrote:

That's why I'm suggesting an old Winchester Super x-1. For half the money you are considering spending, you can get a super nice SX-1 and your teknys will probably become your back up gun :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at it. I doubt it will replace anything, but I am always open to adding.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:28 am 
Crown Grade

Oh, yeah, if it's a toy among many, the SX1 would certainly be worth a look. They're nice guns, some of the only semiautos that one can admire just for what they are, with innards reminiscent of, say, a Remington Model 31.

Personally, if I were you I'd probably save the money and apply it towards an A10, but whatever.

But if you have a substantial gun collection and budget, why are you asking US about what plumbing to buy?

Pardon my grouchiness; we recently found out we have to write a couple of fat checks to pay what we owe in taxes this year. No new shotgun for me right now... :x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BarryD wrote:

But if you have a substantial gun collection and budget, why are you asking US about what plumbing to buy?

I apologize. I did not realize I needed to flash my W2 at the door before I asked any questions or tried to spark up a conversation. And where did I ever say anything about budget? How much money I do or don’t have has no relevance to any questions I asked. I simply asked for opinions on the best semi autos for shooting clays.

And my “gun collection” only came into play after your “real guns” comment. Not sure how many guns one needs to own before he/she knows everything and can no longer ask questions. Perhaps you could enlighten me since it’s obvious you have reached that point.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:34 am 
Field Grade

Swadehead wrote:
I apologize. I did not realize I needed to flash my W2 at the door before I asked any questions or tried to spark up a conversation. And where did I ever say anything about budget? How much money I do or don’t have has no relevance to any questions I asked. I simply asked for opinions on the best semi autos for shooting clays.

And my “gun collection” only came into play after your “real guns” comment. Not sure how many guns one needs to own before he/she knows everything and can no longer ask questions. Perhaps you could enlighten me since it’s obvious you have reached that point.

Sorry, but now you are just being a d!ck. You already own some high end O/U's and SA's (as do I, BTW), and flash that "bankroll" in front of a mixed group of folks with various levels of means, and then you are surprised that someone finds that a little untoward? Please think of the audience before you post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's obvious reading comprehension is not your strong suit. Try going back and re-reading what transpired. I simply asked the forum's opinions on semi autos. I made zero mention of anything until Barry says why don't you "try looking at some real guns" or whatever. I then mentioned some of the guns I have to see if they met his approval. He then mentions budget and gun collection. It's his gun snobbery (and subsequent douchebaggery) that is the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
Sorry, but now you are just being a d!ck. You already own some high end O/U's and SA's (as do I, BTW), and flash that "bankroll" in front of a mixed group of folks with various levels of means, and then you are surprised that someone finds that a little untoward? Please think of the audience before you post.

That, of course, is uncalled for. Envy raising it's ugly head has been the cause of a lot of trouble on otherwise constructive threads. Boy, if you turn green over a few Berettas, you would probably have stroke if you stuck your head in some of our safes! Please don't go there.

Swadehead... Let's see, since you have that itch that some of us do understand, how about popping for a Cosmi? If not, how about playing with an older model, maybe a Double Auto, a Win Model 59 or an Auto 5. Better yet, pick up a plain 391 Sporter, upgrade the wood from something that Coles might have and have the gun engraved to your taste.

Sometimes we wany a new toy, yet we don't know exactly what or why. There's no harm in brainstorming.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SS wrote:
Quote:

That, of course, is uncalled for. Envy raising it's ugly head has been the cause of a lot of trouble on otherwise constructive threads. Boy, if you turn green over a few Berettas, you would probably have stroke if you stuck your head in some of our safes! Please don't go there.

Swadehead... Let's see, since you have that itch that some of us do understand, how about popping for a Cosmi? If not, how about playing with an older model, maybe a Double Auto, a Win Model 59 or an Auto 5. Better yet, pick up a plain 391 Sporter, upgrade the wood from something that Coles might have and have the gun engraved to your taste.

Sometimes we wany a new toy, yet we don't know exactly what or why. There's no harm in brainstorming.

It’s nice to see that some people still get it. For a minute I had to check to make sure that I was indeed posting in the “Shotgun Opinions” forum. I definitely do have the itch and am open to any and all suggestions (not just target semis). I will definitely take a look at all of the guns you have suggested. Truth be told I have never even heard of half of them. :oops: I especially like your idea of picking up a plain sporter and customizing it to my liking. It’s very pleasing to my inner tinkerer.

On a side note, I do apologize to anyone I may have offended or rubbed the wrong way. Definitely not my intent.