It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Just bought the franchi instinct sl
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:24 pm 
Limited Edition

To uncock the hammers dry fire on a snap caps or a already fired hulls (both barrels).do NOT dry fire with out something to absorbe the hammer strikes on the fireing pins as you can damage them.remove the fore arm then break the gun opening with out the forearm in place the hammers can not be cocked.remove barrels and proceed as above.

Citori 725 Sporting
Citori 725 field 20ga
1100 Rem 20 ga Std Wgt

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:25 am 
Field Grade

Twobarrels

U the man, thanks!

Post subject: Just bought the franchi instinct sl
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

Any reviews of the 20ga version?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:41 am 
Field Grade

Ulysses wrote:
papaac wrote:
Volstandigkeit wrote:
I would have thought the triggers to be reset upon opening the action.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

On a mechanical system, both are reset, but with an inertia set up, only the first barrel is cocked when opened.

Sorry, but that is not how it works. Whether triggers are inertia or mechanical refers to how the trigger/hammer selector is set for the second shot. It has nothing to do with cocking the hammers since both hammers are cocked when the gun is opened regardless whether it has inertia or mechanical triggers.

With mechanical triggers, the dropping of the first hammer sets the selector to the other barrel for the second shot regardless whether there is any recoil. With inertia triggers, there is an inertia block that depends on the recoil of the first shot to set the selector to the other barrel for the second shot. If there is no recoil, then usually the selector will not switch to the other barrel, although on very sensitive inertia block setups it MIGHT switch over to the other barrel, but that is not usually the case. The vast majority of current O/U shotguns have inertia triggers and rightfully so, IMO. Inertia triggers work well and are quite reliable and durable with few problems.

I
Excellent info
A ? you may be able to shed some light on....is the fact I am able to select and bring to battery my remaining barrel via sel switch sans first barrel recoil indicative of some light smithing. The selector slides freely.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:19 pm 
Limited Edition

BigAL33 wrote:
Any reviews of the 20ga version?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

I have the 20 ga Instinct L over all the gun has a nice fit and finish .points and swings nicely.with little to no felt recoil .my only complaint is the triggers could be a bit more crisp with less travel.but other than that very happy with the gun .

Citori 725 Sporting
Citori 725 field 20ga
1100 Rem 20 ga Std Wgt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Quote:
A ? you may be able to shed some light on....is the fact I am able to select and bring to battery my remaining barrel via sel switch sans first barrel recoil indicative of some light smithing. The selector slides freely.

That's the way it's supposed to work. The inertia system will switch to the second barrel after it is acted upon by sufficient recoil OR after the barrel selector is moved to the second barrel.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:09 am 
Field Grade

I misundertook what you thought i said...good answer I agree. inertia incapable of pegging the weight is overcome by a deliberate manual motion hopefully prior to the dangerous games arrival which is what if i'm not mistaken started all this to begin with. its really not that entailed....

Post subject: Re: Considering buying a Franchi SL 12
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:10 pm 
Utility Grade

I am new to over and under shotguns. I have been shooting a Franchi I2 semi for about a year and i am considering an O/U. I have had good luck with the I2, and saw this Franchi 12 ga. O/U and i am curious about it. But from reading your postings, i am now more confused. I guess my question is this: Does this gun have a problem cycling from one barrel to the other when shooting sporting clays? I normally shoot Winchester #8 AA Super Sports (1300 fps) shells with my semi and i like the round just fine.
Also, how bad does it kick? I have heard that light guns like this kick like a mule.

Is this a good gun or not?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:04 pm 
Utility Grade

There is no inertia involved in selecting the second barrel after the first barrel is shot. It is strictly a mechanical system. The block. that is in the rear of the receiver, does not come in contact with the latches that hold the hammers back when the first barrel is fired. There is a small pin, in the front of the block that pushes on the latch that it is posiitioned under when the selector safety is activated. On the second shot the rear block engages with the remaining hammer latch causing it to release when the trigger pushes up on the block. The only moves left or right depending on the how the selector switch is positioned. There is no left/right movement when the first barrel is fired. It is moved back by the 'L' shaped rod when the barrels are opened causing the auto-safety feature to move the safety switch back.

Unforetunately with heavy loads the auto-safety feature is activated when the first barrel is fired, due to inertial, thus disabling the second shot. It may not occur on all guns but it does so everytime with my 12 ga. when I shoot a high velocity 1-1/8 load. It also happened a couple times with a box of 7/8 oz skeet loads. I disabled the auto-safety feature by removing the 'L' shaped rod as previously described. I'm assuming that the problem will be fixed with this modification. I'm waiting for the weather to settle down following hurrican Sandy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:20 pm 
Field Grade

hi guys,
I am just about to buy instinct L , but after reading all this treads looks like shotgun has some problems.
Does everyone has problems with auto safety, can this be some recall, after you remove pin for auto safety does gun operate corect and how is safety workin ? Please can someone explain this before I buy one.
Tnx.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:42 pm 
Field Grade

I have the L as well and am having NO issues what so ever with it.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:36 pm 
Utility Grade

[url]Image[/url][/quote]

FYI: I just bought a 20 ga. Instinct L and after 1 trip to the range, not being used to an auto safety, and not enjoying it a whole lot, I decided that I needed to disable the auto safety. Come to find out that the 20 ga. innards are not the same as those pictured above. But, disabling the auto safety is probably even easier. So I thought I would take a couple of photos to compliment what's already been shared. See my next post for the details...

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:19 pm 
Utility Grade

On the 20 gauge, the rod that sets the auto safety is on the left side of the gun towards the top of the receiver. The manual calls this an "asta per sicura automatica", and my Google translate tells me is a "rod to secure automatic". See the pic below.

Now I am not a gunsmith, and with that said I welcome comment by those more knowledgeable then me, letting me know that I am really *#@%ing up my gun.

Grab the rod where it attaches to the safety lever and pull toward you until it clears the safety and spring. It is slightly flexible and will slide out with out damage. Then, pull the rod toward the rear of the gun to fully remove it. Here is a pic of the rod removed from the receiver.

Now, don't do what I did and put the gun back together only to find out that the auto safety rod also keeps the safety switch from falling out of the gun. What I did after I found that out was to go to the local Ace Hardware and buy what I remember as a 1/16 X 1/2" pin to install in place of the rod. See the image below.

Removing the safety rod caused the safety switch to be noticeably stiffer. I'm thinking that this may actually be a benefit to those that mentioned having trouble with the safety re-setting when shooting 3" high power loads.

One concern I have is that the rod may eventually walk sideways and end up scoring the inside of the stock. One alternative idea that I came up with is to maybe buy another safety rod from ??? and cut 1/16 to 1/8 inch off the front end so that whatever hits the rod to engage the auto safety when the breach is closed, doesn't make contact. I want to keep the original rod incase I need warranty work.

Anyone know where I can order the safety rod from?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:05 pm 
Field Grade

What should the price on these be used? I just saw one at a LGS for $399. It looked in good shape, but I'm highly suspicious of a used italian O/U at this price.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:17 pm 
Utility Grade

I would be suspicious of the $399 price. When I sold mine late last year I priced it at $950 and had no problem selling it. I believe that they go for around $1050 and up new.

Let me know if you see another one at $399 and I'll snatch it up. Mine was a great gun for the price.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

I had one and to be honest, found it too light for the trap range. i felt it in the shoulder and cheek. That being said, that's not what its designed for. If you're going to carry it all day and hunt with it then it's a joy. If your planning on using it at the gun club for clays...buy something else!

13 Savage Bmag 17wsm (for sale)
13 Remington XCR2 270
12 Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:30 pm 
Field Grade

Any update on how you guys like the SL? I found one for 1099 and can't decide if I should buy it or not. Main use would be hunting and occasional trap for practice. No league shooting or high volume.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

How does it feel when you shoulder it? Again definitely a kicker due to the light weight. I also found that for me to see down the Rob, I had to bury my cheek down on the stock. That was even more irritating when shooting as I would feel it in the cheek as well.
As much as I liked the gun, I didn't like shooting it.
I opted for a 20 gauge semi instead.

13 Savage Bmag 17wsm (for sale)
13 Remington XCR2 270
12 Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:17 pm 
Field Grade

It feels good and I am looking for a 20. I set out to get the Affinity but the SL really feels good and I like the sale price.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:29 am 
Field Grade

birdleggs wrote:
Now, don't do what I did and put the gun back together only to find out that the auto safety rod also keeps the safety switch from falling out of the gun. What I did after I found that out was to go to the local Ace Hardware and buy what I remember as a 1/16 X 1/2" pin to install in place of the rod. See the image below.

Just wanted to say thanks for this. Took my Instinct Catalyst to LGS to have auto safety removed. His first response was "impossible". After referencing your information, my gun now has no auto safety and the original link is now in my parts drawer.

Rob!