CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H&R excell auto
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:19 am 
Field Grade

has anyone seen or used one and what do you thing about it.

Post subject: Re: H&R excell auto
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've seen them and can't understand why anybody would want some Chinese made, questionable, crude shotgun when you can buy a perfectly good Maverick 88 at Walmart for less than $200.

Don't do it. If you've already done it, trade it.;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

The Excel auto was dropped from the catalog a couple of years back.

It was Turkish made, IIRC, not Chinese.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That's right. Sorry. Turks are just a shade better than the Chinese at making a gun, but the advice remains the same. There is no excuse for buying an inferior, cheap, foreign made shotgun when the big box stores are bursting with perfectly good Mossbergs and Remington 870 Express shotguns, not a one of which cost more than $300 brand new.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:01 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a buddy that has one, it works good for him. The combo looks like a good deal. The Turkish guns are getting better all the time. Bernardelli rebrands them. The Weatherby autoloaders are Turkish. The Baikal MP-153 is a solid autoloader for the money. My only concern would be parts availability, in the event of a failure. Especially with a discontinued gun. My choice would be Baikal MP-153, Weatheryby SA-08, or a used Browning or Beretta.

Browning Superposed 12ga
Browning Maxus Stalker 12ga
Browing Double Auto
Ugartechea 30 12ga
Savage Milano 20ga
Savage Milano 12ga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:15 am 
Field Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
That's right. Sorry. Turks are just a shade better than the Chinese at making a gun, but the advice remains the same. There is no excuse for buying an inferior, cheap, foreign made shotgun when the big box stores are bursting with perfectly good Mossbergs and Remington 870 Express shotguns, not a one of which cost more than $300 brand new.

Since you have know idea about the gun keep your mouth shut. I have at least eight cases of three inch steel through mine one stove pipe. About five cases of dove loads not one hang up. It's a fantastic gun and has been more reliable than my 1500 sbeII. Get the trulock extended chokes and get after it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have done a ton of research and recently bought a generation 2 excell auto (rounded back style). Generation 1 is a humpback style. Found at wally world new.

Gun is made by Sarsilmaz in Turkey. Sarsilmaz also makes the weatherby SA-08. Sarsilmaz is one of the larger and better Turkish gun makers.

Gun is no longer marketed by Harrington Richardson aka New England Firearms (both bought out by Remington).

Many parts will be a bitch to find as H&R NEF (Remington) carry little to no parts for the gun.

Some parts could be found out gunpartscorp.com

They are the most economical reliable sa you can probably find at a $300 price range.

Trigger housing is all plastic, not a fan of that but so many manufactures are going to this.

One break down and you could be sol, but I decided to take the risk. You can trust park duck as he has shot the hell out of this gun. Suggest you go with a gen 2 model, takes Remington chokes, has shell lifter lock button etc.

If you want to move up in price you might consider the Mossberg930, Weahterby SA-08, CZ 912, Franchi Affinity

Be careful upon disassembly as there is a small hairpin that keeps the bolt handle snug that can be easily lost. See link, Verona 401/405 was predecessor to this gun.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=283967

You might also want to look at the Tri Star Viper G2

If you can go over $600 get a Beretta!

Franchi has had one of the smoothest actions I have felt.

Last edited by fallguy on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:57 pm 
Field Grade

I have a gen 1 and you can get parts from sarsilmaz. They have a website. My sbeII has a plastic trigger group and its 1500. The excell is a great gun!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
I've seen them and can't understand why anybody would want some Chinese made, questionable, crude shotgun when you can buy a perfectly good Maverick 88 at Walmart for less than $200.

Don't do it. If you've already done it, trade it.;)

Maverick 88, made in that hotbed of engineering excellence and manufacturing prowess...Mexico :lol:

Well done, that :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

I can find the Sarsilmaz website but cant find a thing for parts, looked many times many ways. Say you wanted a new bolt handle, Can anyone provide a link to Sarsilmaz for this part as an example?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The problem, folks, is that a missing bolt handle will shut you down if your gun was made across the sea and there's not a current importer. This is not true for any late model gun that says Remington, Mossberg, Browning, Winchester, or Ithaca on it. Besides, Turkish guns are notorious for breaking firing pins. Chinese guns are just flat out crude, junk copies of good guns.

If you just have to buy some import cheapie shotgun, I guess a Russian Biakal would be the best choice. Russian guns just don't break very much of anything, and you can still buy parts for any that do.

There used to be an old Browning advertisement that said something to the effect of " A poor man can't afford to buy anything but the best". The idea is that some oddball cheap gun is very likely to break, and then the owner who didn't have much money to begin with is really screwed.

Walmart sells Remington 870 Express shotguns in 12 or 20 gauge for just under $300. That one gun would do anybody well as a shotgun for all the rest of their life, regardless of skill level or amount of money they had. That gun is a bargain. Otherwise there are no bargains, and you get exactly what you pay for, every time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:25 am 
Field Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
The problem, folks, is that a missing bolt handle will shut you down if your gun was made across the sea and there's not a current importer. This is not true for any late model gun that says Remington, Mossberg, Browning, Winchester, or Ithaca on it. Besides, Turkish guns are notorious for breaking firing pins. Chinese guns are just flat out crude, junk copies of good guns.

If you just have to buy some import cheapie shotgun, I guess a Russian Biakal would be the best choice. Russian guns just don't break very much of anything, and you can still buy parts for any that do.

There used to be an old Browning advertisement that said something to the effect of " A poor man can't afford to buy anything but the best". The idea is that some oddball cheap gun is very likely to break, and then the owner who didn't have much money to begin with is really screwed.

Walmart sells Remington 870 Express shotguns in 12 or 20 gauge for just under $300. That one gun would do anybody well as a shotgun for all the rest of their life, regardless of skill level or amount of money they had. That gun is a bargain. Otherwise there are no bargains, and you get exactly what you pay for, every time.

So why are you trying to send him to a cheaply made Remington and Mossberg that are rust magnets? The excell auto has great reviews and I would rather have a Turkish gun than one made in Mexico. Take a look at the recent reviews of the the 870 Express on the net they are some of Remington's worst junk to produce in years with rust problems, and it looks like a highschool wood shop class fitted the stocks on them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Of all the dozens and dozens of shotguns I've owned and traded I've come to understand that any shotgun will rust if not properly cared for, and that rust itself is almost always a cosmetic problem. They even have a name for rust, "patinia", that makes certain very old guns more valuable.

The worst thing that can happen to the value of an old gun is that it was a junker to begin with. Then, if you can't buy a part for a good gun, then it's a junker, too.

Remington has made over ten million 870's, and they are still making them on this day. The barrel from an 870 made in 1950 will fit the one made today, and so will every other part in the gun. Not a single 870 has ever rusted through, and not a one has rusted at all if they are kept oiled. The difference between an Express and a Wingmaster is cosmetic, except that an Express has a MIM extractor and a plastic trigger guard, just like a Beretta 391.

Nobody has ever got screwed on price or quality buying a brand new Remington 870 shotgun. They come with a factory warranty. Yes, some of them have rough chambers, but most folks do own an electric drill these days, and for those that don't you can always send them back to Ilion, New York.
Again, if your imported "whatever it is" needs a bolt handle, or an extractor, or a firing pin, you are just SOL and your shotgun is now a wall hanger.

Don't do it. Don't buy some orphan gun, or some gun that's very likely to be an orphan the day their importer closes their door.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:26 pm 
Field Grade

SuperXOne wrote:

Shows how much you know about the gun, there is absolutely no way you can lose the bolt handle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It was an illustration. Most autoloaders have removable bolt handles. All shotguns have firing pins, extractors, and ejectors, and trigger mechanisms. Just one broken or lost part in a shotgun you can't buy parts for and you are out of the shotgun business, unless you can find a used part.

It is one thing to keep an old shotgun you inheirited or was given to you back when you were a kid. But if a person who has no shotgun, and wants to buy a shotgun, in this day and time I can't see why they wouldn't just go to a big box store and buy a brand new Remington 870.

The world is heaped over with "bargain shotguns" that aren't a real bargain, because even the imported clunkers usually cost more than $200 either new or used. A $200 brand new Mossberg Maverick could be made on the moon and you'd still have a decent, usable shotgun that had a warranty and you would not be overcharged for. Add another $100 to that and you can buy a brand new Remington Express and have an excellent shotgun for any purpose, that will handle, shoot, and point nearly as well as any shotgun made at any price.

After you get at least one really good shotgun, then go out and buy all the others you want as you can afford them. But first get the one really good one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:57 am 
Crown Grade

park duck wrote:
SuperXOne wrote:

Since you have know idea about the gun keep your mouth shut. I have at least eight cases of three inch steel through mine one stove pipe. About five cases of dove loads not one hang up. It's a fantastic gun and has been more reliable than my 1500 sbeII. Get the trulock extended chokes and get after it.

park duck...

First of all, bear in mind that this is opinion forum. Secondly, there is no call for ordering anyone to keep their mouth shut. That comment endeared you to no one and served no good purpose. There is no rule that says someone cannot render an opinion simply because he does not happen to own a particular gun. I never owned a Ford Pinto but I think that everyone would agree with my opinion about one. Those who have owned and shot all kinds of guns over many years can and do render pretty accurate opinions most of the time. So, you were out of line.

Now, it is well known that I am not a fan of guns from Asia Minor either, but some appear to be OK for occasional use. In your case, your stated number of shots fired puts it in the catagory of occasional use. By comparison, many of use shoot that many shells in about a month. I do not believe that your gun would last very long before breaking something if I were shooting it and the point SuperXOne made was when that happens, you're done... might as well toss that gun out because you cannot buy parts.

I'm glad that you like your gun. It seems to fit your needs and probably your budget. But the budget part will be put to the test when it breaks and needs to be replaced. So, why not buy something a bit better to start with, or at least something that could be fixed, or something that is still being produced. Not all bargains are good ones.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:20 am 
Field Grade

look i already own a few decent shotguns. i have remingtons from the 60's that have out shot benellis. and i have mossbergs and winchesters. i was looking for something to just to take out and do a little bird hunting every now and then

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:15 am 
Field Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
Of all the dozens and dozens of shotguns I've owned and traded I've come to understand that any shotgun will rust if not properly cared for, and that rust itself is almost always a cosmetic problem. They even have a name for rust, "patinia", that makes certain very old guns more valuable.

The worst thing that can happen to the value of an old gun is that it was a junker to begin with. Then, if you can't buy a part for a good gun, then it's a junker, too.

Remington has made over ten million 870's, and they are still making them on this day. The barrel from an 870 made in 1950 will fit the one made today, and so will every other part in the gun. Not a single 870 has ever rusted through, and not a one has rusted at all if they are kept oiled. The difference between an Express and a Wingmaster is cosmetic, except that an Express has a MIM extractor and a plastic trigger guard, just like a Beretta 391.

Nobody has ever got screwed on price or quality buying a brand new Remington 870 shotgun. They come with a factory warranty. Yes, some of them have rough chambers, but most folks do own an electric drill these days, and for those that don't you can always send them back to Ilion, New York.
Again, if your imported "whatever it is" needs a bolt handle, or an extractor, or a firing pin, you are just SOL and your shotgun is now a wall hanger.

Don't do it. Don't buy some orphan gun, or some gun that's very likely to be an orphan the day their importer closes their door.

This is laughable, I shouldn't have to do some shade tree machine work or send a brand new gun back because the manufacture didn't do their job.

I am not a Remington basher and I actually own an 870 super mag and 2 remington 700s.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can, of course, buy what you want and shoot what you want. I just hate to see somebody buy an "orphan" shotgun when they can't afford to have the thing break a little part somewhere and wind up with a wall hanger.

I help with my kid's FFA trap team. Every year the school's ag instructor is faced with recommending to little Johnny's or little Mary's parents what gun to buy their kid. I go to all the practices and the meets, and clean the chambers and show the kids and their parents how to take the guns apart. I've looked inside more Mossbergs and Remington Express shotguns that I knew existed. I've come to some conclusions about them. First and foremost a shotgun should work. It should work every time with every shell you can buy for one. Shoot trap with a shotgun and you'll very soon find the hidden flaw in the shotgun. Shoot skeet and it's even harder on cheap guns, because they must go "bang bang" instead of just "bang" four times a round. When a kid looses a part or breaks an extractor on an American, name brand gun, I can get loan him or her one of my 870's and have them back in business the next week. When it's a Turkish double and it breaks a firing pin, better hope it's a CZ and be prepared for a two month wait. If it's some Chinese gun it's lucky to even function new out of the box. The Turkish autoloaders seem to hold up pretty well, but if you ever need a part you are going to be out of a shotgun in most cases. The Russians make some pretty crude, but rugged products. But all that is needless when the Remington 870 costs $300 at Walmart and once a kid shoots one of mine he's about done with anything else. If you really want to "ruin" him loan him just a decent Citori and then he'll want that one,,,,but he'll shoot no better.

The Remington 870 Express is the greatest bargain in the entire history of shotguns. Those kids all have cell phones that probably cost more than their shotguns, and they will every year pay more than $300 for gasoline, targets and shells. But the Mossberg 500's still outnumber the 870 Express shotguns nearly two to one, because the Mossberg is about $60 cheaper. The Mossberg will shoot fine, last forever, and won't break, but it handles and points like a two by four compared with an 870. Even yet a lot of the kids shoot their Mossbergs just fine, and like them until they borrow a better gun. But if Mossberg tried selling them for $20 more than an 870 I don't think they'd sell a one.;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

jcb11realtree

You are looking for a semi auto correct.

Others,

Note, H&R NEF (Remington, Sarsilmaz) Excell Auto is a semi auto, original poster may not care for pump gun suggestions?

Note, this review (see link) is for a gen 1 model (gen 2 is a newer model) but this link may be of interest.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2010/09/23 ... _5_012009/