It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pictures-Discussion - Engraved Superposed & Other Browni
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:40 pm 
Field Grade

Realized the pics from my 1966 pigeon grade 12ga were no longer showing. Here are pics again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Kingcobb:

That's a very nice sample of a Pigeon grade. Congrats! {hs#

How long are the barrels? What are they choked?

Looks like some nice figure in the stock too. Would love to see a pic of the stock.

Thanks!

CFB

Support this Forum! Become a Bonus Member . . . Click on the URL, below!
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118027

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:45 am 
Presentation Grade

Bump

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:10 am 
Presentation Grade

crazyforbrownings wrote:
Dear Fellow Browning Lovers:

CFB

CBF, What year is your A Bee?

Interesting side by side from 2018.

Post subject: Re: Pictures - Engraved Superposed & Other Browning Guns
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:24 am 
Presentation Grade

Goad wrote:
After meeting Angelo Bee and seeing the enthusiasm he expressed to engrave my custom 1937, Superposed two barrel set (12ga and 16ga) with single twin triggers, I have decided to upgrade the set with custom high grade wood with a straight grip. Angelo Bee will engrave the receiver and both barrels with the Diana grade "Flushing Pheasants" motif. I hope to post pics in November 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=393481

Evidently he talked me out of the Flushing Pheasants.

Here is the back story viewtopic.php?f=53&t=393481

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Howdy Goad:

That is a very interesting comparison of two Dianas by Angelo Bee. The similarities are striking and evident.

Mine is a 1967 (S7).

All the best,

CFB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:28 am 
Presentation Grade

I recently acquired a 1971 20ga Diana Grade Skeet, I love the engraving, this is the first Diana that I have owned and the engraving is top notch IMO on this gun, Jules Lewanczyk:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sweet little 20ga 'Di' in great condition! Congratulations and Thanks for sharing it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Have really enjoyed seeing all the photos of the fine Brownings that have been posted. Here's some photos of my beautifully engraved Browning Superposed 20 ga. with 26 1/2" bbls. built in 1952 (four digit serial # 39XX). The gun is marked "Waffen Bock, Frankfurt Germany" behind the trigger. The engraving is stunning. Please note the detail and shadowing on the Geese and the Rabbits and check out the Fox where you can make out each individual rib!!. I've owned the gun for nearly 30 years and would love to know who did the engraving. Clearly a very talented and skilled craftsman - enjoy !!
Saltydog055

Last edited by Saltydog055 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for sharing this nice example.

The style, ornamentation, composition and animal details are very similar to some other engraving examples by Kurt Jaeger of Mainz and Wiesbaden, Germany.

One such 12ga Superposed was engraved for a Col. Gerald G. Robinson, 875th USAF. The serial number of the gun is from 1953. So this is along aboout the same period as your 20ga.

Jaeger seems to have done a lot of these projects for US Servicemen during the post-war era. Apparently he was very popular and most accommodating.

I would put photos up on the Engraver's Café and see if anyone can say (with certainty) who the engraver might actually be.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Anatidae,
Thanks for the quick reply. I took your advice and just posted the photos up on the Engraver's Cafe BB. Hopefully someone may be able to identify the engraver which may add some additional value to the Browning before I put it up for sale.
Thanks,
Saltydog055

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Saltydog:

That is a fine Superposed 20ga! The engraving is fantastic. Love the detail! Keep us posted on the mystery engraver!

The wood grain on the stocks is incredible.

Thanks for posting! {hs#

Respectfully,

CFB

Last edited by crazyforbrownings on Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

amg wrote:
I recently acquired a 1971 20ga Diana Grade Skeet, I love the engraving, this is the first Diana that I have owned and the engraving is top notch IMO on this gun, Jules Lewanczyk . . .

AMG:

That is one finely engraved Diana! I have seen some fine samples by Lewanczyk, and yours is no exception. The Diana pattern really allows for the engraver's talent to shine through.

Thanks for posting! {hs#

Respectfully,

CFB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

crazyforbrownings wrote:
Saltydog:

That is a fine Superposed 20ga! The engraving is fantastic. Love the detail! Keep us posted on the mystery engraver!

The wood grain on the stocks are incredible.

Thanks for posting! {hs#

Respectfully,

CFB

Mystery solved !! With the help of C. Roger Bleile from the Engravers Cafe BB, I was able to contact Hendrik Frühauf, a top engraver in Germany http://gravuren-fruehauf.de/ who knew immediatly that the engraver of my Browning was Albert Reich (please see below)

"Dear Sir,
thank you for your message.
My congratulation ! ... its a really great gun!
tThe engraving its fromthe Graveurmeister Albert Reich.
A. Reich learn to engrave in the merkel factory, his master was Paul Greifzu.
he work in the traditional merkel engraving style like his master.
Albert Reich was in the 1960 this in the western part of germany and work for Kurt Jaeger, Waffen Bock, Waffen Reich -Darmstadt( his brother) and for Krieghoff...
hwe was one of the beste engravers in this time..
all the best
Hendrik"

Finally the 30 year old msytery is solved !! Still sure would like to find out who the gun was engraved for...???

Looking forward to more postings of beautiful Brownings !!

Saltydog055

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

I love a Superposed with a good story behind it. Thank You for sharing the gun and your findings, with us. Very nice piece of firearms history. Absolutely gorgeous wood on that one, too! 'Looks like late 50's / early 60's Grade VI Midas wood.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:45 am 
Crown Grade

crazyforbrownings wrote:
That is a fine Superposed 20ga!

Hi Folks!

Wow, I've been gone too long! There has been some absolutely stunning stuff posted here since I before I was detoured by a host of personal and professional distractions. (Some bad, some good, some great. No worries!)

Anyhow, after a long spell of not stumbling into any nice old Brownings, I ran into three in the last few weeks. The first was a nice, green Double Auto that I should have bought at auction. (I went to $925, and it sold for $950.) The second was a pristine little 20 gauge Auto 5, which I've already resold.

And the third was this little 20 gauge Super, serial 15170 from around 1959 …

Now, compared to the other high-grade guns you folks have graciously shared here, this "standard" model is, well, nothing.

But look again, compare it to what's available today. It's stunning, with a large area of hand engraving … not etching, not lasering, engraving. Even the screw heads are fully engraved. The wood to metal fit, 60 years later, is still tight. The stock shape is complex and the finish is simply gorgeous.

And the basic lines, regardless of ornamentation, are beautiful. It's as easy on the eyes as it is in the hands. It's as fine of a merger of form and function as I can imagine.

Enjoy!
Dave

http://www.thesunontheweb.com
http://www.thegunowner.com

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:45 am 
Crown Grade

Sorry for the duplicate post!

Last edited by dbuffington on Fri May 04, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:33 am 
Crown Grade

Hey Dave, congratulations on a nice Superposed. So nice, that it was worth reading twice!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dave:

It's always a pleasure to see your finds and read your postings! :D Always a good read.

How do you find this stuff?! You always seem to acquire Brownings of rare distinction and in wonderful condition.

That sure is a pristine Grade I from the Golden Era. Nice wood. Checkering appears to be in fine condition. And you're right, the wood to metal fit is awesome.

We would love to see more pics of the distinctive engraving.

I can't quite tell, but it appears to not have a gold trigger? Or is it just the lighting of the pic? Not that it matters. I personally prefer Supers without the gold trigger. I have a few. But, alas, it is a Browning hallmark from the early days.

It also appears to have longer barrels . . . 28in? 30in? In my book, anything longer than 26.5in is a plus for both shooting and resale.

Upon seeing your pics, I had to go dig out one of my 20ga Grade I guns (mine is marked "Lightning" by the Browning seal) (from circa the same time period as yours) to check the engravings. It has similar engraving, but not exactly. That's why it would be interesting if you could post more pics of the engraving.

I love the Grade I guns! I agree with you, the basic lines (especially of the smaller gauged guns with 28in or longer barrels) are classy, beautiful, and not distracted by gold inlay or ornately engraved silver nitride receivers of the higher grades.

As you stated, even the engraving of the Grade I guns was hand-done. So no two are exactly alike. And sometimes I wonder if on a day when work was slow, if a Funken, Vrancken, Watrin, Marechal or Magis would engrave a Grade I, and just put a little extra magic into it! And then, 60 years later, a guy like D-Buff stumbles onto it . . . like Charlie finding a "Golden Ticket" wrapped around one of Wonka's chocolate bars!!

Congrats on a nice find! {hs#

You might just have to keep this one!

All the best,

CFB

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Rudolph31 wrote:
Hey Dave, congratulations on a nice Superposed. So nice, that it was worth reading twice!

Thanks ... and my apologies :oops:
Dave

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next