It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
 Post subject: Re: Pictures-Discussion - Engraved Superposed & Other Browni
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:43 pm 
Limited Edition

lowgun wrote:
The rifle and rifle-shotgun two barrel combo is referred to as the Continental if you want to go hunting for one on the internet.

I learn something new here every day! Thanks lowgun.

1972 Browning A-5 Light Twelve
1969 Browning A-5 Magnum 12ga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

Weight for the 26-1/2” 20ga Superposed in the 1978 catalog is 6lbs. My shoulder hurts just thinking about .270, .30-06, or 9.3x74R.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm with you Anatidae . . .

But I think the Continental was a really cool concept for the one-gun-does-it-all guy. Or the kit-gun guy. Shoot your pheasant or other grouse with your 20ga barrels, then switch over and install your 270 Win barrels and shoot your deer with the same gun. Not the most accurate or comfortable :shock: rifle to shoot, but pretty neat. Classy. European. And it looks freaking awesome in the case! Browning sold a lot of them . . . And I imagine FN sold quite a few in Europe.

Here's a nicely engraved sample for sale at Guns International (not mine) . . .

CFB

Support this Forum! Become a Bonus Member . . . Click on the URL, below!
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118027

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

I agree it is very cool and a very desirable example of Browning’s wonderful history.

I married in 1978 and we both worked for a Browning dealer while going to graduate school. Of the items I most would like to have been able to afford was a Continental set. It was not in our best interest and timing to seek luxury on a tuna fish budget

Now that I can afford some of those ‘things’ in this stage of life - if I stand to be hammered by recoil, the gun should at least have some unique game scenes. :mrgreen:

A couple years ago, I considered a very nice side plate model with 3-pc forearms on both barrel sets. The game scenes were roe deer, boars, and a landing mallard on the bottom. It was very tastefully bordered in gold wire with full coverage scrollwork. While everything but the 9.3x74R chambering appealed to me, the price and import burden did not. There were other prospects about, so I passed. I never could distinguish the signature from the poor photos and the ad indicated the gun was serialed for 1954, so I figured it was a tasteful upgrade.

The only other rifle I have been interested in was engraved by Felix Funken. But it was not for sale. Maybe it will be, one day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24