CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg Silver Reserve Replacement Barrels
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:18 am 
Utility Grade

Does anyone know where I can find replacement barrels for the Mossberg Silver Reserve 12ga online? I have searched everywhere and cant seem to find a website that will just sell me what I want. If you happen to find something please copy and paste the URL into a reply. I would like the sporting clay version that has the ported barrels, but even a field barrel would be fine.

O/U preferably as well

and as long as you can find...28" or longer

Thanks!

Bart

Post subject: Re: Mossberg Silver Reserve Replacement Barrels
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Have you called Mossberg? I can't imagine that buying a barrel alone will be cheaper than buying an entire gun-- especially with the cheaper than dirt prices on these guns used.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:30 am 
Crown Grade

Buy another gun would be easyer and cheaper to get what you want.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:03 am 
Utility Grade

Well the real problem is that I have a choke tube stuck in my top barrel. I have tried a bunch of things and had a couple gunsmiths look at it quickly and they tried some "quick remedies" that didn't work. I am sure I could send it out to mossberg and not get to shoot for the first 3/4 of the summer, but don't want to do that.

The choke tube simply isn't coming out tho...I have broken 3 choke wrenches and now the notches in the choke tube are basically stripped and not allowing much to grab onto it.

I just bought the gun about a month ago, but I shoot competitively so between shoots and practicing I have put around 2500/3000 shells thru it this month. I just didn't think anything of the tubes until I just recently bought some Carlson Extended choke tubes and went to put them in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:12 am 
Diamond Grade

Like the others said just go buy another one. You can buy the gun for less than the barrels of other guns.

What did Mossberg say when you called them?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:16 am 
Utility Grade

If I could afford guns that take $600 barrels, I wouldnt own a $600 gun. All other mossberg barrels are between $100 and $250...I dont see why this barrel would be much more than that on the high side. Just can't find them for sale anywhere...

It is the weekend, so Mossberg told me their offices are closed and call back during business hours.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:16 am 
Presentation Grade

Have you looked on gunbroker.com? I have not bought barrels, so I am assuming you will need a gun smith to fit them up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:19 am 
Utility Grade

Yes, I have looked at a few sites and gunbroker was one of them, nothing...

This is getting kind of irratating, been searching the web for 4 hours now straight and its like replacement parts for the Silver Reserve are nonexistent.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:38 am 
Diamond Grade

Bart8539 wrote:
Well the real problem is that I have a choke tube stuck in my top barrel. I have tried a bunch of things and had a couple gunsmiths look at it quickly and they tried some "quick remedies" that didn't work.

I just bought the gun about a month ago, but I shoot competitively so between shoots and practicing I have put around 2500/3000 shells thru it this month.

:shock: This gun was never meant for this. And If you never lubed the choke tubes, It's possible that the heat fused the threads together.

I just didn't think anything of the tubes until I just recently bought some Carlson Extended choke tubes and went to put them in.

If it's a new gun under warranty or just new to you, call Mossberg. They'll likely send you a mailing sticker to send it in for free so they can go over the gun and fix it.

Although personally, I would not mention the part about the volume of shells.

But they won't likely sell you replacement barrels over the phone as they need to be fitted to the receiver.

Another quick remedy would be to get a couple cans of "Nut Buster" from the auto parts store and stand the barrel chokes down in a small cup (a cup deep enough so that the end of the tubes that is threaded will be covered by liquid) in the corner, and then shoot that stuff down the barrel until it fills up the cup. let it soak for a day then try to get it out.

Just saying...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:55 am 
Crown Grade

Bart:

I really can't tell if you are serious here or some kind of humorous trolling post.

You say you need a new barrel, and then you say later in the post "O/U preferably as well" which makes no sense, as the barrels are sold as a set.

I'm really not sure how you think this works, but if this gun is just a few months old, you need to send it back to Mossberg. End of story. Make them fix it under warranty.

Yes, you can try PB Blaster or the stuff the other guy mentioned, but if you screw up the barrel further Mossberg will not likely honor any warranty.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this if you are a young guy, but you may have to borrow or buy another shotgun while this one is getting fixed.

And like the last post said, the Silver Reserve was never made to be a competition shotgun.

If you want to use an O/U for "competition", in the $600 price range, the only one that I can think of that would be close to suitable would be the Lanber Sporting Lux, available from CDNN Sports for about $650.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:20 am 
Diamond Grade

I would try Mike Orlen on the gunsmith forum. He installs choke tubes so I'll bet he can get yours out. And, his turnaround time is FAST! His prices are very reasonable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The other Mossberg barrels you are finding for $100 are for a Mossberg 500 pump, made by Mossberg. The SR isn't made by Mossberg, and O/U barrels need to be fitted to the individual gun. Even if you found a set of used barrels, it wouldn't be cost effective to buy and fit them. Either send the gun to Mossberg or continue to shoot it as is. You shot 3000 shells last month. Figuring the cost of ammo and targets, that is over $1000 in one month. It's time to re-evaluate your priorities, and save for a better gun. Don't shoot for one month and you could buy a decent gun. Mark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:41 am 
Diamond Grade

Bart

I have to admit I share VT's suspicions about this post. The preferably O/U comment is curious because if you have an OU they are not preferable but required. Oregunner makes a great point about the cost of shooting that many shells. It interesting you state you can't afford a more expensive gun but you can afford to spend that much each month on shells. Maybe we are all wrong but it just sounds a little off to us.

You mention you can find barrels for sale anywhere and that is likely because they are not for sale anywhere. As mentioned above Mossberg sells barrels for the gun they make, not the ones they import. I've talk to Mossberg about their imported guns and the told me I'd need to talk to the manufacturer if I wanted to get parts. They had no info on them and seemed to have no nearest in helping me get info.

If you've already messed up the choke trying to get it out I doubt they will fix it free under warranty. I can't blame them either. If the choke looks all chewed up how do they know you did create the problem. Ok, to be honest you did create the problem through lack of proper maintenance but if you sent it to them with just a stuck choke you'd have better luck than sending a stuck and mangled choke. I agree that sending it to some like Mike is you best bet. I would not be at all surprised to learn that even if you can buy new barrels it will cost more than half the cost of a new SR.

Sorry if this seems harsh but harsh facts are more useful a warm fuzzy.