CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bill Mains and Bill McGraw engraving
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:25 am 
Diamond Grade

Ithaca engraver Bill Mains has been mentioned on a current thread. I don't want to hijack that thread but thought some here might like to see his recent work on a 28 gauge.
Here is a Bill McGraw $2500 grade for comparison. I will soon post a $2000 grade so you can see the differences.
And here a $2000 grade by McGraw
And for Superxone who would like to see a high grade double-
or perhaps this.

Last edited by ithacanut on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Bill Mains' engraving
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes! I heard his name pronounced but I didn't know how to spell Mains. Is that a "normal" $3,500 dollar grade? I gotta have me one of those, I just do!.;)

Someday not far off these guns are going to be like high grade Parkers. The M37 is, of course, the only production repeating shotgun in the world with enough quality left to justify a finely engraved and gold inlaid model. Years ago Remington used to engrave some 870's and maybe even some 1100's, but any gun with an aluminum trigger guard and a mousetrap stamped trigger assembly isn't a fine gun. A good gun, yes, but fine guns simply don't contain any stampings or aluminum or plastic. Can you imagine a side by side or an over and under with the same quality insides as the typical new pump or autoloader of 2012? The M37 is the sole and only repeater made today that would measure up, except maybe for a Cosmi,,,,and they cost way too much and I've only seen them at Cabela's fine gun library.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

It is done in $ grade style sans the mermaid as the trigger guard is too small. SuperXone. Have you read the M-37 book? If not, you may well fine it of interest. I know it sounds self serving but many of your questions are answered there plus some you have not thought of as yet.

Last edited by ithacanut on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

it is a great book

and its a great looking gun,
hes still engraving for them ?
if the craftsmanship is not proof enough he loves what hes doing
the fact hes still making them removes all doubt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

WOW! Beautiful guns, thanks for sharing!

Post subject: Re: Bill Mains and Bill McGraw engraving
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wow, those are beautiful. So if you had one of these would y'all take it out hunting?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:43 am 
Presentation Grade

man what a beauty! Colonel, I sure take it hunting but only upland.
I can't believe how fancy these guns can be. I am buying the book next week. I saw it once in Frank Valone shop and I was amazed - it seems well written.

is Bill Mains exclusive for Ithaca now or an independent engraver? i see he did some work for Zoli and Model12s.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:43 am 
Diamond Grade

Bill is an independent engraver. He could monogram your silverware, etc but he seems to like doing gun more. Bill and Bill with a partner engraved a lot of 4, 5 and dollar grade Knicks as well as a few 37s with 1, 2 and 3 engraving patterns. He is no stranger to Ithaca guns.
Cedar. do you shoot at the Outlet Gun Club? A few Ithaca 'experts' there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

Walt, I am a member at the club and I live near by (Penfield). I used to go every single weekend but i stopped since last summer when I got married and was very busy :)
I am going to resume soon; my wife is showing interest in the sport too (reason to buy a 20ga ;)). I heard you used to live here

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Sadly, Bill Mains passed away last month.