CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: eibar shotgun help
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:45 pm 
I have a single shot shotgun which has the EIG-EIBAR-SPAIN stamped on the top of the barrel. On the bottom of the barrel it has the typical spanish stampings...the eibar proof house stamp...the load handlings....and an E1 (I think this means it was made in the 1930's??) It is a .410 with 3" chamber for smokeless powder.It also has .410-77 stamped on the barrel and receiver. Can anyone give me any information on this gun? Which of the spanish gun makers made this one? How much it is worth?[/quote]

Post subject: Re: eibar shotgun help
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:56 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

You might want to have alook at this. Try to see whether any of these marks matches your gun's.

http://personales.jet.es/rafa/b_punzones_larga_lisa.html

EIG might be the brand, though it is used for guns in many countries.

E is 1930 but E*1 is 1959.

E1 could also be the model number??

Its not how well you shoot, its how much noise your gun makes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:07 am 
Thanks for your help! I wasn't able to match any of those markings up though. I matched all the markings up with this site http://www.spanishguns.com/SP.html (mine has the eibar proof house marking, the final black powder proof, the standard smokeless proof, and of course the weight of the barrel and pressure proof stamp).....except for one marking. The marking I can not identify has a "10" and then either three tick marks or three letters(not stampaed deep enough to tell) that are stamped in a triangle shape kinda like this(of course the "10" is moverd down some):
10 x
x x

Any insight on a maker that stamped his initials that way?If the marks are letters they almost look like a "V" on top, a "E" on the bottom left and an "L" on the bottom right.

It is definately only stamped E1(does not have the *)....so I believe this was made in 1930.

Also I forgot to mention before...the sides of the receiver are engraved with a dog chasing some geese.

This gun is in pretty rough shape....is it worth anything? or is it better off as a "shooter"?

Post subject: EIG EIBAR CAL 9 MUZZLE LOADER
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:33 pm 
I have a muzzle loader that has a stamp on it from EIG EIBAR SPAIN. Do you know where I can find information about this weapon? THanks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:44 pm 
I have the same 9mm rifle but I can't find anything on it.

Does anyone know when these were made? Is it just a replica?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:15 am 
Utility Grade

I know this is an old post, but I have this exact gun and can't find any info on it. Anyone got anything else? The spanish guns link doesn't work anymore. The one I have is in good condition and was my grandfathers. I am just wondering if it has more than just sentimental value. Thanks.

Last edited by Sitton on Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:48 am 
Crown Grade

EIG, Actually named EIG Cutlery an importer of cutlery and Guns
mfd. in Italy, Japan, Spain, and Germany

Eibar isn't a brand, but it is a city in Spain where there is a larger population of gun makers.

Which exact gun? we've got three or four in this thread :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:58 am 
Utility Grade

The first gun mentioned. A single shot 410 made in Eibar, Spain. I have searched all over the net. I have discovered what you said. It seems that EIG could be 2 different companies from what I understand. Either way, I would still like some info on it. I will get some pics of it. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:16 pm 
Crown Grade

From everything I've ever seen on EIG branded guns, which isn't much, is they were utilitarian in nature. But let's wait for the pics.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Sitton wrote:
The first gun mentioned. A single shot 410 made in Eibar, Spain. I have searched all over the net. I have discovered what you said. It seems that EIG could be 2 different companies from what I understand. Either way, I would still like some info on it. I will get some pics of it. Thanks for the help.

I have the same shotgun with the dog chasing the birds. I do believe this was passed down from my grandfather to my father. I would also like to know where to get information regarding value and history other than sentimental value.
If anyone runs accross anything let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:32 am 
Utility Grade

Sorry to bring back an old thread from the grave, but I was poking around on-line trying to find out about a gun I have that loosly fits this description and stumbled upon this discussion.

It is a side by side, 16 gauge shotgun. EIG-EIBAR-SPAIN is printed on the top of the barrel.on the bottom is a woodcock, and on each side is a running dog.

There are at least 7 maker marks, one does match the link above. C.H. is found on the barrel and that matches to CRUCELEGUI HERMANOS.

The first looks like a shield with a knights head over it, and an "x" in the shield.

The second looks like either two paddles, or two guns crossed together in an x shape with the number "2" in the middle.

The third looks like a shield with a "GP" ontop of a large oval inside it.

the Fourth looks like two swords behind a shield with the letters CH in it.

The fifth looks like a diamond, with the letters "NAD" inside.

These same marks are on the barrel as well. They are joined by two more maker marks onw that lools like tiny X with "E1" printed under it. the ohter one is are the letters "C.H"

The whole gun looks very had tooled.

I'm a very novice gun person so most of the maker marks mean litte to me. Am I to deduce that the Crucelegui brothers made my gun?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rob, welcome to Shotgunworld.

Most or all of the marks you referred to as makers marks are actually proof marks applied by a government proof house when the gun was tested for safety, as required by law.

If the CH you saw was enclosed in a shield, it does not identify the maker at all, it is another of the standard proof marks, applied to all Spanish shotguns, indicating "Re-enforced smokeless proof for shotgun barrels with a proof pressure of 12,801 psi."

I'll come back after breakfast and give you the meanings of some of the other marks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OK, I'm back. Here is my interpretation of the marks you described.

The first looks like a shield with a knights head over it, and an "x" in the shield. This is the mark of the Eibar proof house, one of two proof houses in Spain. Eibar is a small town in the center of the Basque gunmaking region of Spain. The other proof house is in Barcelona.

The second looks like either two paddles, or two guns crossed together in an x shape with the number "2" in the middle. Final black powder proof. Even if the gun is not intended to be used with black powder, it must be tested and bear the mark before the optional and reinforced tests can be conducted. Those are crossed guns.

The third looks like a shield with a "GP" ontop of a large oval inside it. That is probably BP, not GP. Optional smokeless powder proof with a proof pressure of 12,090 psi.

the Fourth looks like two swords behind a shield with the letters CH in it. As I described above: Re-enforced smokeless proof for shotgun barrels with a proof pressure of 12,801 psi.

The fifth looks like a diamond, with the letters "NAD" inside. I don't know what that is. It may be an inspector's ID mark, but I'm just guessing.

tiny X with "E1" printed under it. That is a date code, indicating the gun was proof tested in 1959 (IOW, it was made in 1959). The "tiny X" is actually an asterisk *

the ohter one is are the letters "C.H" Since this is apparently not in a shield, you are probably right about it being the mark of Crucelegui Hermanos. They made side-by-sides with external hammers, SxS boxlocks, and SxS sidelocks. They were among the 20 Spanish gunmakers who combined to form a single entity called DIARM in 1984. DIARM was a failure, and when it fell apart the brothers combined with one of the Arizagas and went back into business. As late as 1994 Terry Wieland reported in his book "Spanish Best" that:

"You can still buy a Spanish double for a low price, a Hermanos Zabala or a Crucelegui for $500 or so. But these are not junk. They are relatively plain, workmanlike boxlocks, but even though their cost is low, they have been fully proofed at the Eibar proofhouse and usually represent decent value for the money."

Of course, what Wieland said in 1994 may not apply to your gun made in 1959, but my guess is that a 1959 Crucelegui is going to be an inexpensive, workmanlike gun as well.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:06 pm 
Utility Grade

This is great info, thanks for all the data!

I spoke to my father and he indicated he bought it used in the mid-50's from a friend of his fathers. I agree that it is probably not a high dollar gun, but I have always liked it and that is the real value of a firearm anyway.

It has the added feature I have been told that if you put magnum loads into it and pull one trigger, both chambers fire in sequence. Don't think I'll be testing that theory soon myself!

Thanks again, great stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rob H wrote:
It has the added feature I have been told that if you put magnum loads into it and pull one trigger, both chambers fire in sequence.

Don't know about the "added feature" part. It sounds to me like somethings wrong with the gun. I don't think a gun should fire in "sequence" with one pull of the trigger regardless of what shells are used. One pull of the trigger, one "bang", one shell fired.

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:34 pm 
Utility Grade

yeah, was kidding about the feature part.

I personally have not tried it, but legend has it that is what happens. if so, then clearly there is an issue!

Post subject: re: eibar shotgun help
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:12 pm 
Utility Grade

JBH!

I've had this 9 mm muzzle loader for several years, and I can't find any info on it. Have you come up with anything? Everybody tells me they've never heard of a 9mm muzzle loader.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks also for the info,I too have the same eig-20ga that my father got in the early 1960's

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:33 am 
Utility Grade

Hello, New guy here, I also have an EIG-eibar 410ga. bolt-action "3-Shot Repeater" model. it has an integral stacking magazine that holds 2 shells and the 3rd is chambered. It has most of the markings described on the gun in the first post. I have had this nicely made shotgun for 40 years. My Dad bought a pair of them "somewhere" before i was born. None of us 4 brothers seem to know what happened to the other one. I have enjoyed it on many quail hunting trips and it worked great everytime.
I have searched for info about the factory for awhile and all i had found up to today was pretty much what i saw here. Has anyone had any luck since ? I would like to know which factory it was made at and or if it is still making guns today. Thanks , G
[/img]

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:11 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

The maker's mark for Crucelegui Hermanos is C.H.

The CH inside a shield is the proof mark for a re-enforced smokless powder proof of 12,801 psi (900 kg/cm or about 883 BAR). If the mark is clear, you should see crossed flags behind the shield but these flags often are not clear.

The proof mark of AXIII in a shield is the proof mark for a smokless proof load of 12,090 psi (850 kg/cm or about 834 BAR). No flags on this one.

The above marks are from the Proof House at Eibar, Spain after 9 July 1931.