CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Shotgun Shells to buy.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:03 am 
Presentation Grade

Two or three times a month my kids and I go to a local range and buy a box of clays and shoot them using a manual thrower. I have hunted all of my life and just started doing this about six months ago. I have more fun than the kids. In fact I'm fixing to take the plunge and try sporting clays.

I've always purchased the cheap shells for dove hunting($4.99 a box) and have been using them at the range for busting clays. I finally heeded the advice I read online and used Winchester AA's($7.69 a box) the last two times we shot. My percentage of misses dropped dramatically so I am convinced. Is there another brand or class of shells that are less expensive than the AA's but are just as good? I am going to start reloading but I was laid off for a good while and I start a new job Tuesday so funds are tight. It will be a few months before I can purchase reloading equipment so for the near future I will be buying shotshells by the box.

Post subject: Re: Best Shotgun Shells to buy.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shoot the cheapies and see no difference in performance, but I do not keep track to the third decimal place. If you are going to start reloading, then you need the AAs for the hulls. I forget which other hulls are preferred anymore as I quit reloading a while back.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:33 am 
Crown Grade

+1 on the AA hulls for reloading. I haven't started reloading myself yet, but I've heard nothing but good things from reloaders about the AA hulls.

As for cheap loaded ammo, I always get the Federal cases (100 shells). They are 2 3/4" loaded with 1 1/8oz of #8 shot and perform great on the range and the field. And you can't beat the price either. Their prices fluctuate a bit at Wal-Mart, but they are usually around 16-18 bucks a case now. They used to be a little under 15, but that was awhile ago.

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:46 am 
Crown Grade

the cheapest ones you can find at any given moment! Seriously...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:12 am 
Crown Grade

Remington gun club. Cheap and you can reload them easy and up to 10 times if you want to.

One piece hull not two piece like Winchester.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:46 am 
Tournament Grade

Maser wrote:
+1 on the AA hulls for reloading. I haven't started reloading myself yet, but I've heard nothing but good things from reloaders about the AA hulls.

As for cheap loaded ammo, I always get the Federal cases (100 shells). They are 2 3/4" loaded with 1 1/8oz of #8 shot and perform great on the range and the field. And you can't beat the price either. Their prices fluctuate a bit at Wal-Mart, but they are usually around 16-18 bucks a case now. They used to be a little under 15, but that was awhile ago.

$22.87 at the local Wal-Mart near me, with tax, $25.10. I am sold on Rio 7/8 oz Star Team Loads. My son and I shot 850 rounds of Rio shells last weekend. Unfortunately, no one in AZ sells them :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wal mart sells 4 packs of shotgun shells for about $22 each. You get to choose between Federal, Remington, and Winchester cheapie loads. Federals may actually be the best shell, but you can't reload them. Remingtons are wonderful shells, and will reload for many times, and you should buy them if they have them. Winchester cheapie shells are the worst shells on the market. You cannot reload them, either. But if Wal Mart is out of the other two brands, then the cheapie Winchesters will work fine.

I reload a lot. I've quit buying AA's. This is because Winchester has cheapened the AA shell, by adding a base wad and they crush much easier than Remington hulls. It costs me really close to five bucks a box to reload, and I mainly just do it out of habit.

The best Remington shell is the STS. The next best is the Remington Gun Club. The third best is the Remington Sport Load cheapies sold at Wal Mart.

There are three different shells you should reload. Remington, or Remington, or Remington.;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Kraiza wrote:
Remington gun club. Cheap and you can reload them easy and up to 10 times if you want to.

One piece hull not two piece like Winchester.

I have used Gun Clubs several times in the past with good results. However, on a trip to the range this past week I had two shells out of a 100 that were extremely hard to eject. I should a Browning BPS that has always been flawless when it comes to handling shells, so it not the gun.

I don't know if Remington got a bad batch of metal for the base or what happened on this batch, but this happened with shells from two different boxes.

I would go with Federal for cheap shells.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:21 am 
Crown Grade

Best for reloading - 12 and 20 gauge, Remington STS or "promos" (Gun Clubs, etc.) have the best "reloadability.

28 and .410 gauge - Winchester AAs are the best.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:25 am 
Crown Grade

As previously stated, Remington. B+P do sponsor a forum and in volume orders are not that bad in price and are a premium quality shell and there is reloading data.

Frederick Douglass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SuperXOne wrote:
Wal mart sells 4 packs of shotgun shells for about $22 each. You get to choose between Federal, Remington, and Winchester cheapie loads. Federals may actually be the best shell, but you can't reload them. Remingtons are wonderful shells, and will reload for many times, and you should buy them if they have them. Winchester cheapie shells are the worst shells on the market. You cannot reload them, either. But if Wal Mart is out of the other two brands, then the cheapie Winchesters will work fine..

I Love the Federal Value packs. I am addicted to the smell of the powder, but I do not reload them.

SuperXOne wrote:
I reload a lot. I've quit buying AA's. This is because Winchester has cheapened the AA shell, by adding a base wad and they crush much easier than Remington hulls. It costs me really close to five bucks a box to reload, and I mainly just do it out of habit.

The best Remington shell is the STS. The next best is the Remington Gun Club. The third best is the Remington Sport Load cheapies sold at Wal Mart.

There are three different shells you should reload. Remington, or Remington, or Remington.;)

This past week I reloaded 3000 12ga shells. I only reload Remington in 12 ga.
For my other guage of choice, .410 I do reload both Remington and Winchester. Since these are the hulls I have in that guage.

Defense League, Inc
http://www.ccdl.us

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:30 am 
Presentation Grade

Thank you to all of you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:29 am 
Diamond Grade

Maser wrote:

If you have heard nothing but good about AAs, then you have not been listening very carefully. Many people, myself included, find them tedious to re-load, especially the 20 gauge hulls. For both 12 and 20 it appears to me that the majority of folks on this forum prefer Remington hulls. In 28 and .410 AAs seem to be more popular. For myself, I pretty much only re-load Gun Clubs these days. They are readily available at my range and I like the steel base because they pick up very easily with a magnet. They are good for as many as 8 to 10 reloads, but they are so plentiful these days that I rarely load them more than once or twice.

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible."

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Before you consider reloading, check to see what your start-up costs will be, then figure out what your time is worth. My guess is that you will wind up just buying shells, especially for 12's and 20's. 28's and .410's are a totally different story. Best of luck on the new job --- Rich

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

Have to disagree with the suggestion of AA hulls. I used to use them with success put now in side by side comparison I like Remington Gun Clubs better. Better crimps and something about the hulls seems help me feel where the wad should be seated better. The allowed me to be more consistent on wad seating and more consistent crimps. The AA where also more prone to crushing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

+1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

I bought Remington Gun Club at two different Walmarts. Had to go to one for 12ga and one for 20ga. I have to admit I HATE Walmart but the Gun Clubs were a $1.99 more a box at Cabela's. Are any of you living where there are Academy Sporting Goods familiar with their proprietary Remington shotgun shells called "Remington Shurshot Heavy Dove" loads and are they as good as the Gun Clubs?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

:D
I say the best are Winchester AA Super Sport or Remington Premier Nitro Sporting Clays with 1 1/8 ounces shot @ 1300 FPS.
That is all I use for clays.
Little more money but like everything else, you get what you pay for.
I do not reload but the spent shell casings flying out of my semiautos, guys at the range go out of their way to pick them up.
They claim the grey Winchester AA Super Sport and the gold Remington Premier Nitros are one of the best shells to reload.
I guess because they have better quality materials put in them when they are made.
Fred

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:47 pm 
Utility Grade

I am going to start reloading but I was laid off for a good while and I start a new job Tuesday so funds are tight.Image

Post subject: Best Shotgun Shells to buy.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:27 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

cdbeagle wrote:
I bought Remington Gun Club at two different Walmarts. Had to go to one for 12ga and one for 20ga. I have to admit I HATE Walmart but the Gun Clubs were a $1.99 more a box at Cabela's. Are any of you living where there are Academy Sporting Goods familiar with their proprietary Remington shotgun shells called "Remington Shurshot Heavy Dove" loads and are they as good as the Gun Clubs?

I will speak to the shurshots. They do work well, if not as good, as the gun clubs. Reloading life is just as long as the other hulls. I am getting out of buying factories, and reload only. I have shot boatloads of aa and rem hulls, and federal, too. And rios, and kemen, etc. Remington wins the reloading contest for 12 ga for me. But the aa hulls will reload, just a bit more picky about internal volume and fitting it in. Federals reload, too!

But before we get there, let's get back to the boxes per outing kind of thing. If you can save a little extra scratch, a flat costs a little less per box. Also, for pasture clays, using a game load or field load over target loads, it won't matter. You'll break them. You might be experiencing a more uniform pattern versus the game load, with those higher dollar target shells. A field load with some choke time and pattern board might net you the same results. Which might save you the coin. Just another few thoughts.

Do you have a public range close? You can get plenty of reloading shells free, if you go down that road.

Food for thought...
Tab

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine