CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tristar 20 gauge semi auto not cycling ammo correctly....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:51 am 
Utility Grade

I have a Tristar 20 gauge (2 3/4" and 3") semi auto with the youth and adult stocks. I am having issues with the ammo not cycling fully. It will eject the spent cartridge, but the incoming shell will get stuck midway through the process. I have tried several 2 3/4" shells...... both low and high brass, heavy and light loads....... Winchester, Federal, and Remington shells.... and the only time it has cycled correctly was a few times on the Winchester high brass shells. I clean my shotguns literally after every use, so I am sure that isn't the issue. I got this gun used, but it probably hadn't had more than 100-150 rounds through it prior to me aquiring the gun. I have put about 125 rounds through it since I have had the gun. I really like the way it handles, and think it will be a great beginner gun for my wife and daughters to start with. I am new to semi auto shotguns as I have always shot pump shotguns. Any info would be great. Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Tristar 20 gauge semi auto not cycling ammo correctly...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:54 am 
Diamond Grade

The first thing I would try in your situation is to take a correct size bore brush on a short section of cleaning rod, wrap brush in some 0000 steel wool douse this in some CLP or other clean, lube, protect, product. Chuck the section of cleaning rod in a drill and proceed to super clean and polish the chamber area of the barrel.

I assume this gun is a gas operated semi-auto so there should be some gas bleed holes from the barrel to a piston on the mag tube make sure these are fully open, not blocked with powder residue. Next make sure the recoil spring is is clean and oiled lightly. I'm not sure if the recoil spring on your particular model is in a tube inside the stock, or, on the mag tube under the forearm. Also make sure there are no heavy carbon deposits on the mag tubes surface that could impede the movement of the gas driven piston. The piston also should be deposit free inside and out.

These steps are fairly generic for any gas operated semi but due to differences in systems may need to be varied a little. You may want to shoot a couple of boxes of 1 1/4 oz heavy field loads to break the guns moving parts in, I have seen where some manufacturers recommend this procedure. If doing these things don't work, then maybe you have a weak recoil spring that will have to be replaced.

Good luck,

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:41 am 
Crown Grade

My Dear GrizzlyAlan....... ah, never mind.

pecos,

It doesn't sound like a cleaning issue. I would contact TriStar and see if they will help, but not being the original owner might be an issue. BTW, what was the seller's reason for selling after only a few boxes of shells fired?

Last edited by SS on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am always leery of any gun that someone is selling that has only fired a few boxes through it and is LNIB. That is a red flag to me, I'll bet the previous owner was having the same problem you are having. Best bet is to do as shotgunnut has suggested, if that does not work, contact the manufacturer or importer and see what they will do for you.

cdb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:00 am 
Diamond Grade

Take the barrel off and insert a shell and see if you can see where it is catching. Some times when they cut the extractor grouve they leave it sharp or they push some metal into the bore. take a jewelers file and put a radius on the sharp edge. Is the spring on the mag tube or in the stock. Make sure it is lubed so that it returne's the bolt like it should.
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:35 am 
Crown Grade

My dear Ss, how may I be of assistance?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:25 pm 
Crown Grade

很抱歉 - 這是壞的 火器 - 請 放棄 ! !

(translation: So Sorry - bad firearm - Please discard ! ! )

Last edited by CriscoKid on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

“think it will be a great beginner gun for my wife and daughters to start with”

They will not enjoy shooting with a gun that doesn’t function reliably. If you can’t get it repaired so it does please, please, please get rid of it and buy a quality semi automatic shotgun like a Remington, Beretta or Benelli. I’m sure there are other good makers out there but TriStar would not be on my list.

Support system for English Setters;
Molly and Emma

In dog beers - I've only had one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:34 am 
Crown Grade

pecos,

It's not all that uncommon to have feeding/ejection problems with a semi-auto. It's the nature of the beast. In fact I just finished reading a thread about feeding problems some shooters were having with their Beretta 391's. At one time or another someone will have a problem with every brand of semi-auto ever made. So, don't get too down on your Tri Star.

I had a similar problem with my Turkish-made (Kral) Silver Eagle. I tried all sorts of ammo and it would not cycle properly. I sent it back to the importer and they replaced the gas piston and opened up the gas ports. Problem solved. They stood behind their product and were extremely helpful.

From what I read, Tri Star's customer service is also outstanding. How have you made out with them? Have you found them helpful.

One other thought, if you're like me you don't know an awful lot about gun repair. It may be worth your while to pay a visit to a gunsmith to have him take a look at it.

Please keep us posted.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:38 am 
Crown Grade

A couple possibilities first...

Did you clean the gas ports? They could be caked up with sticky preservative.

Is this one of those guns that has two pistons, one for light and one for heavy loads? That's how the Weatherby SA08 is set up. That would explain why a high-brass load worked but light target loads do not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:48 pm 
Crown Grade

If it's a Viper G2 gas gun, and you are not familiar with autos, I would call Tristar. A novice filing on a semi auto is probably not a good idea. Since it uses a action spring around the mag tube about all a person can do is make sure it is clean, lubed, and has high quality ammo. If you know how to remove the internal mag spring and follower it would be worth cleaning and checking for metal burrs. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the feedback!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:30 am 
Utility Grade

barrowsr wrote:
“think it will be a great beginner gun for my wife and daughters to start with”

They will not enjoy shooting with a gun that doesn’t function reliably. If you can’t get it repaired so it does please, please, please get rid of it and buy a quality semi automatic shotgun like a Remington, Beretta or Benelli. I’m sure there are other good makers out there but TriStar would not be on my list.

Have had some troubles with Remington 1100's and replaced a trigger assembly even and when the cartridge stop comes loose and you have to buy the staking tool...I love my 1100's but have had their share of problems-it's an autoloader...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

It sounds like it works fine as an auto ejecting single shot. Often times you will find that you get what you pay for, and with Trystar you don't pay for too much. As someone else suggested, if you don't know an awful lot about gun repair you might want to pay someone who does to take a look at it.