CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Sweet 16
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:01 pm 
Can someone give me some info please. I have a Browning Sweet 16 that was given to me by my grandfather I started hunting with this back in the early 70's and I still use it today. This is probably my favorite and best shooting gun that I own.
Here is the info that I can find:
Serial# - 0S58448
Gold trigger
Safety on back of trigger guard
Barrel: Browning Arms Company St. Loius Mo & Montreal PQ
Made in Belgium
Solid Rib 27" Barrel
Browning Automatic FN on butt
Sweet Sixteen engrave in cursive on left side of receiver
Picture of Browning engraved on left side of receiver under the word BROWNING
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Browning Sweet 16
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:19 am 
Diamond Grade

I'm not sure quite what you want to know, but here goes:

This is an A-5, or Auto-5 semi-automatic shotgun.

Your gun was made in 1960, and was the 58,448th gun made in that year. It is a "Sweet Sixteen," which means that it was specifically made to only chamber 2.75" shells (not 3") and is 10oz. lighter than a standard sixteen gauge A-5. This information was derived from your serial number.

Because your gun was made before 1967, it is likely to have a round knob rather than a flat knob (you didn't specify). Also, because your gun was made in 1960 (and the buttplate is a dead giveaway), it was manufactured by Fabrique National in Belguim, hence the FN. FN quit making this gun in 1975, and in 1987 this model began to be manufactured in Japan.

The barrel is likely actually a 26" or 28", because those are the actual measurements that Browning manufactured (also a 30"). The choke is fixed, and the barrel will have one or more stars engraved on it near the muzzle that you can use to identify what choke it is (in the "Browning choke codes" listed at the top of the Browning forum). Finally, the St. Louis & Montreal address on the barrel indicates that it was manufactured between 1959 - 1968. Thus, this is possibly the original barrel to the gun as well (likely, if your grandfather was the original owner).

If you need to know the value of the gun, it's $2. I can send you a check.... :wink:

Actually, my grandfather has a gun almost just like this, only manufactured in 1961 and I have just purchased an A-5 "Light Twelve" that was made in '64. I did my research before buying, so that's the benefit you're getting here. Most of this stuff can be found from this site and Browning's website here:
http://www.browning.com/services/dategu ... .asp?id=13

If you really need to know the value, you'll have to ask someone who has a bluebook of gun values. I wrote down the values of the Sweet Sixteens for my use, but only wrote down the numbers for the vent-rib model. The vent-rib books slightly higher than a solid-rib model.

Hope I was of some help.

'64 Browning A-5 Light Twelve
Mossberg 500 20 ga.
Case's Light 20ga. Recipe

Post subject: Re: Browning Sweet 16
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:55 am 
Thanks for all the info. As I said earlier this is my everyday shooter and I have taken everything from gees, ducks and rabbits to deer and everything in between. Value isn't really important to me as this is priceless.
The only problem that I ever have is trying to find amo for it. Not too many places carry a big variety of the 16 ga. but now with the emergence of the 16 again maybe some will be easier to find.
Once again thanks for all the info.