CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 930 vs Saiga-12
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:23 pm 
Utility Grade

Greeting Gents

I'm looking to buy my first shotgun for home defense. I'm interested in a semi-auto. After doing some research it seems the Mossberg 930 SPX is the one that is recommended the most, primarily for it's reliability. I really like the looks and the fact it has rails and iron sights and this is the one I'm leaning toward.

However, I really like the idea of a box magazine fed shotgun such as the Saiga-12. I like the idea of being able to reload more quickly and the added benefit of having several mags loaded differently for different situation. But I have read that it has some reliability issue. So before I make my final decision. Can anyone provide some info on the Saiga-12? And if you had a choice between the two, which would you prefer? Please explain why.

Thanks

Last edited by Lexington-1 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 930 vs Saiga-12
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:33 pm 
Field Grade

Mossberg, but that's just me. I like to buy American Guns.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:01 pm 
Field Grade

I've shot 2 of each. I own one of the 930s

One of the saigas was unconverted but had all the normal bolt on stuff except a gas plug. It was a jam-o-matic. Even on full power slugs it had issues ejecting. On walmart bulk shells it was a single shot 100% of the time. It was pretty new at this time.

The other siaga was professionally converted and it was very nice. It ran good but one of the mags I was using it did not like (5 rd factory). Someone had brought some really old low power stuff and it would not run with those (my 930 did)

I bought a 930 when they first came out. It did require some break-in to be reliable with federal bulk shells from walmart. I shot a lot of slugs and buck to start out with and now it is 100% reliable with anything.

The other 930 was a guys at work that I recommended it to. His ran 100% on anything you fed it right off the bat. He bought his a few years back.

I considered getting a saiga but I thought it would be a money pit because i would want to get it converted, spare mags, etc. I thought the 930 was closer to where i would want it right off the bat. I just added a sling plate, light mount, and light.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Lexington-1 wrote:
Greeting Gents

I'm looking to buy my first shotgun for home defense. I'm interested in a semi-auto. After doing some research it seems the Mossberg 930 SPX is the one that is recommended the most, primarily for it's reliability. I really like the looks and the fact it has rails and iron sights and this is the one I'm leaning toward.

However, I really like the idea of a box magazine fed shotgun such as the Saiga-12. I like the idea of being able to reload more quickly and the added benefit of having several mags loaded differently for different situation. But I have read that it has some reliability issue. So before I make my final decision. Can anyone provide some info on the Saiga-12? And if you had a choice between the two, which would you prefer? Please explain why.

Thanks

I'm in a similar situation, and have decided to go with the 930 JM Pro 9 shot. For 100% home defense I would stick with one of the 18-1/2" barrel models, but the JM Pro has the screw in chokes, and another round in the tube. We do a lot of other stuff on our property, and just saw a lot more versatility in this model.

Sorry, those Saigas just don't excite me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:35 pm 
Field Grade

Saigas are for people who like to tune, modify and accessorize their guns. So long as they are properly converted, they run wonderfully. They will also do things no tube-fed shotgun will do.

That said, it sound like you are after a more conventional gun. The 930 is a great deal for what it costs.

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind"
- Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:56 pm 
Field Grade

I like AK actions but I've never handled or fired one of those shotguns. I did pick up one of the first gen 930-SPXs in 2008. It's run 100% with anything from Walmart bulk birdshot loads to full power 3" mags from day one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:42 pm 
Limited Edition

Everything you need to know from our own M-24
www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthrea ... SPX-Review
Enjoy

doc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:51 pm 
Limited Edition

stiletto raggio wrote:
Saigas are for people who like to tune, modify and accessorize their guns. So long as they are properly converted, they run wonderfully. They will also do things no tube-fed shotgun will do.

^^What he said^^

I bought mine OTD four years ago unconverted for $499 and it would only run buck/slug 100% reliably which is fine for what I was buying it for (HD and tactical-toy for courses and the like). However, I need cheap ammo to practice so I had the swap the gas-plug, manipulate the ports etc.. So I wound up converting it which was may intention all along. Ever since, it can be fed anything and run 100%. Total invested in gun is now $1k.

Conversely, I bought a Remington 1187P ($699) and it was far more simple to use in terms of learning the system as well as overall use absent any change to its original configuration. So yes I would recommend a tube-fed tactical for someone not interested in tinkering.

Saiga-12

Remington 1187P

-Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:55 am 
Utility Grade

Doc

Thanks for that SPX review! It's fantastic. That is the best piece of info by far as to what i need to know about that gun. I learned quite a bit from it.

I'd like to thank everyone else for your input. Every bit helps.

Although I still very much like the idea of having a box fed magazine for a shot gun. It's seems that the Mossberg is a much more reliable shotgun and more accepting of different types of ammo and that is more important to me. I guess I'll save the Saiga for a future purchase.

Thanks again for all of your help.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:55 am 
Utility Grade

I have to say as a saiga owner that i recognize one huge disadvantage to the box fed ak design...THE MAGS ARE friendly HUGE!!! I use the 12 and 8 round sgm surefire mags and although a great product (the best ive found) they're roughly the length of my forearm and over 3" wide. how many of those mags do you think you can cary because let me tell you fumbling with 3 is a biatch!!! now thats 36+1. thats plenty.. and those drums sh*t i have problem fitting that thing in my day pack, with the 20rd drum and 3 12 rd surefires my back has room for say a cigarette lighter. SO FOR MY SHTF MONEY IM GONNA CARY MY 8+1 MOSY 930!!!!!! in that same day pack i can fit nearly 200 rounds of lose 12 ga ammo. and my 2 bandoliers thats 258 rounds of BANG!!!
I would also like to say that those saiga mags are also very slow to reload(much slower than filling a tubular magazine of the same capacity) When they run empty they take at least a minute to reload with dropping the mag, loading shells, re inserting the magazine, and finally maneuvering the bolt (that was not locked open on last round). making a rushed reload nearly impossible. with my 930 i can find cover simply reach in my pocket or bandolier and insert 1 or 2 maybe 3. as quick as u can count em'. yes there is a ghost loading technique that allows for an extra round to be loaded or floated on lifting gate i have tested this and with the ghost loading is much quicker than loading an 8 rd surefire and 1 in the chamber of the ruskee 12 loading 3 rounds is as much a process as loading the mag to full capacity.
This may sound like im bashing the izmash 12 ga. but the fact of the matter is i do like my saiga and it has its purpose its the one that gets ooooos and aaaaaas from my buddies unfamiliar with the AK ON STEROIDS. And yes bumpfiring 20 rounds is crazy fun ( i dare you to try and not smile form lips to ears) ITS LIKE A NOVELTY PULL IT OUT ON WEEKENDS BLOW THE CRAP OUT OF SOME STUFF. IT JUST LOOKS AWESOME with that mules leg of a magazine hanging down. BUT THE MOSSY THATS A TOOL A DEFENSIVE WEAPON THAT I WOULD AND MAY HAVE TO TRUST WITH MY LIFE

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:06 pm 
Field Grade

I am IPSC shooter and have seen the rise and fall of Saiga-12 shotguns in Open Division. All of the shooters have changed their Saiga-12 shotguns to Molot Vepr-12 shotguns. Saiga-12, even tuned, has reliability issues. Molot Vepr-12 is more reliable, but you need to tune it to make it reliable.

AK scheme is reliable but not with 12 gauge ammunition.

If you are looking for reliable shotgun, choose Mossberg 930 SPX.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:31 pm 
Limited Edition

It got so deep in here, I had to put my boots on....

-Cheers

Post subject: Mossberg 930 vs Saiga-12
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:16 am 
Utility Grade

Having owned a 930 (non-SPX) and now currently a Saiga, I'm going to have to go with the S12.

The 930 did not feed light loads no matter what (even after a 500+ shell "break-in" period). The Saiga had an adjustable gas tube that would allow it to feed every type of ammo I shot through it.

The recoil was also much lighter with the Saiga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Buy a Tromix Sagia... end of story! Tony has serious Kung Fu power Building guns. If you get a gun from him it will be perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:03 am 
Crown Grade

GobbleDropper99 wrote:
Mossberg, but that's just me. I like to buy American Guns.

that's good, but a lot of that "American" gun is made in Mexico.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

and last I checked Tony IS an American... A damn fine one in my book AND a world class USA gun builder! Tromix Saiga is one incredible weapon!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:38 pm 
Dirtyeddie wrote:
and last I checked Tony IS an American... A damn fine one in my book AND a world class USA gun builder! Tromix Saiga is one incredible weapon!

Let's be accurate here. Tony is undoubtedly an American. The Saiga is undoubtedly Russian. Even after most of the mods, the majority of the weapon is Russian. The design is Russian. I have difficulty swallowing the almost $1K of basic gun work and options on top of the cost of the Saiga. We're in M1014 territory here.

By the way guys...the Mossberg plant is in south Texas, not Mexico. Some parts are made in Mexico, but final assembly and QC is done by Americans. Just sayin...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:00 pm 
Limited Edition

PeteCamp wrote:
Dirtyeddie wrote:

...The design is Russian. I have difficulty swallowing the almost $1K of basic gun work and options on top of the cost of the Saiga. We're in M1014 territory here....

Precisely--Once it's 'tricked-out' it becomes a question of tactics in terms of mag vs. tub fed.

For me that's all it comes down to tactically--Now preference wise boys will always be boys...

Just my opinion.