CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Franchi 48 AL
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:02 am 
Tournament Grade

Hello, I just bought an older 12 Gauge Franchi 48. I was wondering if it's possible to buy a magazine plug for it. If so where could I find one?

Last edited by kyhoods on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Franchi 48 AL Magazine Plug
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can use a piece of dowel rod or #2 pencil. I know that Gun Parts does not list the plug, you may be able to find one somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:11 am 
Tournament Grade

I think that will work until I find one. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:06 am 
Tournament Grade

I found a generic/one fits all plug on brownells

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1232/Product/-FITS-ALL-SHOTGUN-MAGAZINE-PLUG

Looks like it should work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:46 am 

Should be fine. Install it and see how many shells fit and then trim a little at a time checking the length with shells in the magazine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:03 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks. The shotgun arrived today and it has a homemade wood dowel already installed. Seems to work perfect. I'll take it out to the range on Saturday and see how it shoots.

Any common things/issues I shoudl look out for?

From the marks on the shotgun "XX" it appears to be a 1964 12 Gauge. The sellers advertisement said it was a 3/4 choke (I'm in Germany). But I don't see any choke markings, any idea how I should be able to find out?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think I just answered one of my questions. I found a star mark on the underside of the barrel. From internet research it appears that 1 star = Full choke. Here is what I saw:

* = Full
** = Improved Modified
*** = Modified
**** = Cylinder

Also don't see anywhere where it says gauge or chamber size. It was advertised as 12/70 (2 3/4")

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Search this forum, there are threads on the 48AL. The first thing is to be certain you have the Governor Ring installed with the beveled side forward for heavy loads. This is a link to a free manual. You have a nice, light shotgun, enjoy it.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/franchi_48al.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:53 am 
Tournament Grade

Got the manual, that's great, thanks. I see where it says beveled side out for heavy loads. The previous owner had placed the ring behind the spring, like many do on the Auto 5's for light loads. I've moved it forward and put the beveled side out. Hoepfulyl I'll get out on Saturday to shoot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

kyhoods wrote:
Got the manual, that's great, thanks. I see where it says beveled side out for heavy loads. The previous owner had placed the ring behind the spring, like many do on the Auto 5's for light loads. I've moved it forward and put the beveled side out. Hoepfulyl I'll get out on Saturday to shoot.

The advice I have been given, including what Franchi wrote, says to try it first set for heavy. This is easier on the gun and your shoulder, and except for very light handloads, you will probably not need to reverse it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:50 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks, I'll try it that way first. May be a week or so longer before I get it out to shoot. I decided to refinish the stock and forearm. I've never done this before but since I got such a deal on this shotgun I thought it would be the one to experiment with. The wood was in pretty bad shape, but it's looking good now.

Post subject: Re: Franchi 48 AL
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:08 pm 
Crown Grade

FYI: "70" = 70mm = 2-3/4" chamber.

You can use any 2-3/4" ammo in the gun, provided you re-arrange the friction ring properly for heavy/light loads, or you risk damaging the gun by firing heavy loads with the friction ring set for light loads.

BTW - do not lube the mag tube - just clean (even with emery paper if needs be).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well finally made it out to the range today with the Franch (and my Auto-5). Shot beautifully for an almost 50 year old shotgun. Had to use the light setting on the friction rings to cycle the light trap loads. Convinced my 14 year old to head out with me for fathers day, he did outstanding for his first time sshooting a shotgun. He preferrred the Franchi 48 12Ga over the Sweet Sixteen, said it kicked less.

Happy fathers day everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

I wouldn't use emery paper to clean the mag tube. Just take a clean rag and wipe it down. You don't want to increase the gap between the friction ring and mag tube. This will lower the friction level, increase recoil at your shoulder and do more harm to the gun. Talking about sand or emery paper here. You don't want any abrasives near the gun. What you do want is a maximum level of friction in the action that cycles the shells you use. Talking about the governor ring here. And either one small drop of oil on the mag tube or ran dry.

Your gun will fire all 2 and 3/4" shells. Use the heavy governor ring setting first.

slomo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've just been wiping it down with a lightly oiled cloth and it has been working flawlessly. It's now my go to gun, been using it for doves, turkeys, trap, etc. I guess I have to put it away for duck season.

These things are great though, now I'm wanting a new Franchi 20 gauge, just can't afford one right now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:38 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm looking for a modified barrell for my 12 gauge 2 3/4" franchi. Anybody have one for sale? If so let me know the details.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

kyhoods wrote:
I'm looking for a modified barrell for my 12 gauge 2 3/4" franchi. Anybody have one for sale? If so let me know the details.

Contact Mike Orlen. he can thread your barrel for tubes and sell you a few for much less than a barrel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks, I just looked at his website. Looks reasonable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:38 am 
Presentation Grade

kyhoods wrote:
I've just been wiping it down with a lightly oiled cloth and it has been working flawlessly. It's now my go to gun, been using it for doves, turkeys, trap, etc. I guess I have to put it away for duck season.

These things are great though, now I'm wanting a new Franchi 20 gauge, just can't afford one right now.

Sounds like another Franchi convert. If you're like me, I'm never selling my Franchi shotguns.

The only animal or clay target I don't use a Franchi on is geese. Reason is we regularly get 75+ yard kills verified with a lazer range finder. Then I pick up my Ithaca SP-10 or the close cousin Remmy 10ga.

Try the mag tube dry as others stated. Or the heavy load setting with your slightly oily rag. You want the highest level of friction you can get and still cycle the action cleanly. There are 4 steps I use which saves my shoulder and gun from getting beat up. Search in the Franchi area to find the 4 or just ask if you really want to dial yours in.

slomo