CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Franchi Affinity questions
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi guys,

Does anyone here have an Affinity 12 gauge and what do you think of it ?

I'm thinking of getting one and I know it's pretty new but was wondering what your likes or dislikes might be.

I had a 720 in the past and the gun fit me pretty well and would still have it if Benellis repair department could have fixed the jamming problem :( , but they sold me a Benelli M2 for the price difference to replace it, so guess I can't complain.

TIA

Roi

Post subject: Re: Franchi Affinity questions
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:05 pm 
Utility Grade

I was just about to start a new thread about the Affinity....read yours, so I thought I would write my opinion here. I hope this does not upset you...not trying to hijack the tread.

That being said....let me start off with what my purpose of the Affinity is intended for. I'm an avid waterfowler...three days a week. I shot a Benelli Super Nova for roughly 5 years. I had the itch to shoot a semi and did some extensive reading and shouldering various guns. Last winter I had my mind dead set on the M2. One of my duck hunting buddies shoots one and loves it. I kept an open mind and honestly, was just waiting to find the best deal on one. Then Jan rolled around and I heard about the new Franchi. I had a local dealer put both the M2 and Affinity next to each other and he actually broke them both down. The have samiliar characteristics....except the recoil spring being around the mag tube. I actually found this to be a better option then in the butt stock....easier to clean after a nasty wet duck hunt....this is just my opinion.

Today I took the gun out for a run. I shot 125 rounds of old 3" 1 1/4 oz steel through it first. I will say it does push you around...nothing to be worried about. I then fired 75 rounds of 2 3/4 1 1/8 oz cheapo Feds...I did not have one FTF or FTE. The sg performed perfect....with the lighter loads...I hardly noticed the recoil.

My only mistake...not buying a camo one. This is the first black gun I have owned. I do not feel at all that you need a camo gun, however, the camo ones clean easier (barrel/receiver)....once again just my opinion (im no expert).

Sorry to get long winded....my first post.

If you have any further questions, I will try to help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:04 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought the black synthetic model last week after years of shooting an 11-87. Really like the weight and balance. Shot 100 plus rounds of 2-3/4" target loads with a couple of 3" 1-3/4 oz. mixed in at a clays course over the weekend and it cycled flawlessly. It does recoil more than the heavier gas gun but like Bevo says it's not uncomfortable.

I'm impressed with the fit and finish quality. It shoulders nicely out of the box but a shim kit is included. This is a lot of shotgun for the money. Take down and cleaning is pretty simple. My only (small) complaint is there's not a satin finish walnut stock option as I like the traditional look.

Really looking forward to trying it out on pheasant and ducks next season.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:12 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

We tested and reviewed both a 12 and a 20, 26 inch barrels on both (the only way it comes in 20 ga.).

At the price point they are at, I think they are terrific. It is all the functionality of an M2, with equal built quality, at a bargain price.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Still haven't made up my mind yet.

Besides wanting an auto for upland and one lighter than about 6.5 lbs. in 12 gauge was my top priority as I already have a 7 lb. pump in 12 that I shoot pretty well.

Doing some poking around it somehow seems the 12 gauge with 26 barrel looses about .44 pounds when it crosses the ocean. Italian site = 3.1 kg. Franchi site = 6.4 lbs.

Also Franchi is owned by Benelli and is thier US "agent". No one I spoke with there seemed to know ANYTHING about Franchi and sure didn't seem to give a $hxt :shock:

Tried sending an email to Franchi (It) discussing this and some other questions and no answer. Well to be fair it was in English and they speak Italian so I guess no surprise there :?

Again thanks for your time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:30 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The 12 gauge is a 7 lb. gun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yep, it was your article that alerted me to that, thanks.

Why does Benelli have to LIE about that? Sell more guns? If everyone they cheated complained and required a complete refund including shipping and transfer charges, or better yet sued them for false advertising it might teach them to be honest. But maybe not.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:55 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Often, marketing materials are produced long before the first production gun is ever made. So, they really don't know.

Other than that, only the manufacturer can answer. Perhaps unloaded weigh means no mag limiter plug or choke tube installed. For upcoming soon to be released new guns, though, catalog weights are just guesses. They have never been made, so no legit weights from actual production runs are possible.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

So your telling me they don't own a scale and do a "first article" inspection? And aren't able to tell the web guy to fix thier site :D I'll bet if they had a large price increase from Italy they could have that changed on the web site in under 2 hours :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:20 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I'm not telling you anything of the sort.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:44 am 
Limited Edition

510Wells wrote:
So your telling me they don't own a scale and do a "first article" inspection? And aren't able to tell the web guy to fix thier site :D I'll bet if they had a large price increase from Italy they could have that changed on the web site in under 2 hours :mrgreen:

Even the web techs don't get it on the web site for days sometimes.

The only good crow is the one your about to shoot!

The only good squirrel is a dead squirrel!

Max-5 really!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is the synthetic stock on the Franchi Affinity hard plastic (similar to the Beretta 3901) or is it more "rubbery" like the Benelli Comfortec?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

It feels hard as opposed to rubbery. I have a 12 and a 20 and they fit me perfectly. I shoot them much more accurately than my two more expensive shotguns.

I have learned to never E-Mail a gun manufacturer. I always call them. Franchi Customer Service has been pretty good so far. When mine came they did not have the TSA recoil pads. I called Franchi and was told the TSA pad was an option you had to pay for. I explained to them that every picture of an Affinity that I had seen in a magazine had the TSA and that is what I thought I was buying. Franchi sent me two at no charge.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

cdbeagle wrote:
It feels hard as opposed to rubbery...

I don't know if you have a Benelli or not, but I'm curious if the Affinity stock feels like a comfortec stock or not.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

I don't know, I've never held a Benelli.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:11 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

B-Boy wrote:
I don't know if you have a Benelli or not, but I'm curious if the Affinity stock feels like a comfortec stock or not.

Thanks.

My Vinci and M2 ComforTech stocks are hard plastic-- no rubbery texture at all. What I'd call kinda sorta "rubbery" (a grippy, tacky feel) would be a Browning Dura-Touch genre stock.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:12 am 
Utility Grade

However, what he calls a LOT of shooting is unlikely to be a lot for most of us target shooters.Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:19 am 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
B-Boy wrote:

Thanks.

My Vinci and M2 ComforTech stocks are hard plastic-- no rubbery texture at all. What I'd call kinda sorta "rubbery" (a grippy, tacky feel) would be a Browning Dura-Touch genre stock.

I realize this is old, but my black M2 20 gauge has a "rubbery" feel to it. Similar to Dura Touch, but less grabby. It's only offered on black 20 gauge M2's. This may be what B Boy is referring to.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:07 pm 
Crown Grade

I contacted franchi last year via E-mail about the bore diameter and exit diameter on the factory chokes of my 48-AL. I got a very prompt and detailed reply. I was sort of surprised.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:53 pm 
Limited Edition

stockranger wrote:
I contacted franchi last year via E-mail about the bore diameter and exit diameter on the factory chokes of my 48-AL. I got a very prompt and detailed reply. I was sort of surprised.

Franchi has a good customer service dept.

The only good crow is the one your about to shoot!

The only good squirrel is a dead squirrel!

Max-5 really!!!!