CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lanber 2097
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:52 am 
Utility Grade

Hey Everyone,

First ever post and im asking for advice. I started shooting shotguns competitively about two months ago her at Jacksonville University under the direction of David Dobson. I have been fortunate enough that he loaned me a Guerini Summit to shot in compeition and practice. Although I have fell in love with this gun I am a graduating senior and am going to have to part with the gun whether I like it or not. I Have boiled my choices down to the Condor Competition model or the Lanber 2097 Sporting Lux. I know this is a stoeger loving tab but I figured you all needed to know where my head is. My question to the Lanber shooters is , How do you like the gun? Have you had any problems? How many rounds have you put through the gun? (just so I know what basis your judgement is on). Look forward to hearing all of your opinions! (also whats the difference in the sporting and the sporting Lux)

Thank you,

JUshooter {hs#

Post subject: Re: Lanber 2097
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JUshooter,

Your going to get lots of emotional replys from both forums. I can only relate my own experience to you. Back in the 90's I owned one of those fancy Italian O/U's, not only was it visually beautiful, but mechanically as well (kinda like a Volvo, not complicated just plain functional). Flash forward 20 years, once again in the market for an O/U, I looked at the Condor, as soon as I broke it open and closed it back up, I handed it back to the clerk and said no thanks... Even at the "on sale" price point of 400.00, there's just no long term quality there, certainly not something you'd want to use as a competition arm.

Days later, same store, speaking with the manager at the time, I told him what I was looking for. Something reliable, that could handle lots of use, but at a reasoable price point. He pointed me to Lanber's, I did the research and quickly realized that they have quite the following in Europe as well as Australia. Realizing they are very similar to a Citori in dimensions, I checked out a Citori, which seemed to fit well...

Back to the web, found great pricing at CDNN, through this forum... Purchased the 30" 2097 Sporting Lux myself and was so impressed by the quality, I bought a second a few months later as a backup... Just in case I do decide to get into local competitions :mrgreen:

I can tell you that I have about 6K round through one of the 2097's without a single issue. And it's still pretty tight too... I try to shoot between 75-100 rounds per week, so it gets a pretty good regular workout. The other only has about 3K rounds through it and it's still like new, still as tight as the day I got it...

The difference between the Sporting and the Sporting Lux is the receiver engraving and the wood quality, with the wood quality or grain going to the Lux... As for the engraving, the Sporting has three flight lines on one side and three clay targets on the other side of the receiver. Where the Lux as the Lanber name in gold filled script on both sides of the receiver as well as scroll work on the sides and bottom of the receiver. Mechanically, they are identical, only the asthetics are different...

You can get the Lanber from CDNN Sports for not much more change than a Stoeger Condor. But keep in mind that the Lanber is of Spanish heritage, coming from the Baske (sp?) region of Spain that has a long and storied history of shotgun manfacturing. Don't forget, Lanber has 40+ years of experience as well as a 5 year warranty...

Good luck with your quest!

Cheers,
OMM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

But....Lanber has no US importer anymore. Everyone they have had has had to stop selling them, because of lack of sales volume. Also, CDNN is almost out of Lanbers. You do not have much to chose from anymore, and the price is about a hundred dollars more than last year.
My Lanber had so many ftf the second barrel (even after 9 weeks in the shop) I sold it and bought a Winchester 101 (FN built). Best move I ever made.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Beemanjohn wrote:
But....Lanber has no US importer anymore. Everyone they have had has had to stop selling them, because of lack of sales volume. Also, CDNN is almost out of Lanbers. You do not have much to chose from anymore, and the price is about a hundred dollars more than last year.
My Lanber had so many ftf the second barrel (even after 9 weeks in the shop) I sold it and bought a Winchester 101 (FN built). Best move I ever made.

No matter what brand is purchased, I sincerely doubt if any repairs are required the firearm would not be taken back to the dealership or the importer. I believe that it would go to your favorite gunsmith or warranty center, of which Lanber does have covered in the USA.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Let me take another shot at it. Of the two guns you are looking at, the Lanber has by far the best balance, fit and finish. The Steoger is a pretty crude gun. The main problem with Lanber is that they have spotty quality. Most of them are fine, but you are a lot more likely to get a bad gun than if you went with a "B" gun. And Lanbers service is very slow.
I know everyone wants an over/under shotgun, but the truth is, if you are short on money, something like a used Remington 1100 auto can be had for $3-400 and will work great. Plus most any gunsmith can work on it blindfolded.
My Lanber was so un-reliable I used to take two guns to the range with me for when it decided it did not want to fire the second barrel. It would get crud under the rear of the trigger inside the action. It would only take a couple boxes of shells to do it. Then I would have to take off the stock, clean it real good, and it would work fine for about 50 shells or so, and then do it again. Bachelders (the Lanber warranty place) could not fix it so it would stay fixed. (and they kept it 9 weeks!) The Winchester 101 I bought to replace it is in a whole nother league than the Lanber is. We are talking Beretta quality for $999.
Now most guys have had pretty good luck with thier Lanbers, but I wanted you to know that some of them do have problems. I would buy another one if I could get one with 32 inch barrels, and I knew for a fact it was not one of the problem guns. But that is not going to happen.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:52 pm 
Utility Grade

JU shooter

I bought a Lanber 2097 sporting over a year ago. I've put about 3k though it with no malfunctions. But after about around 1k it started getting a little loose. Its has not got any worse but I notice it. I shot my dads 525 sporting for 2 years(about 3K rounds) before I moved and had to buy my own and it stayed tight. When I was home for Christmas I got to shoot it again and it was still as tight as it was 3 yrs ago and my dad shoots skeet leagues with it. But compairing the Lanber to the Browning not a far comparo $2k+ vs $600. The Lanber shoots great and fits nice. I would buy another even though I still want the browning.
I shoot skeet trap 5 stand and wobble with it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:21 am 
Diamond Grade

MADD are you keeping it well lubed with some good moly grease ??? Have over 4000 rds. through one and it is just as it was when new.
Dave