CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jc Higgins Model 20 12 gauge
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:52 pm 
Utility Grade

hello,
i just recently bought my first shotgun.it is a jc higgins model 20 12 gauge.i bought it used (obviously) at a local gun store and took it home and broke it down to clean it and i noticed there was a notch in the barrel.right where the magazine tube and the barrel connect.it looks like the screw that goes in there to tighten the clip is wearing on the barrel or it could be there on purpose.im not sure..like i said im new to shotguns and wanted to know what you thought about it.any information would be great. thank you!!

Post subject: Re: Jc Higgins Model 20 12 gauge
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

That was my first shotgun as a teenager, many moons ago. As I recall, the "clip" was made of aluminum. If so, it should not crimp the barrel but if loose, might mar the bluing. Screw might need tightning. Can't say I can remember if there was a notch or not. I do remember how smooth the action was. Made by High Standard for Sears. IMHO, it was a great gun that I killed a lot of small game and ducks (pre-lead ban) with it. One caution though, if it has the adjustable choke, DO NOT SHOOT STEEL SHOT THROUGH IT! Matter of fact, adjustable choke or not, don't use steel. It was made long before steel shot came out. Best of luck with it. --- Rich

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just pulled mine out of the safe , it has the same "notch" you speak of. Best I can figure is it's there to keep the screw in place while tightening it up so the band doesn't slide down. The notch looks as if it were ground there from the factory. Hope this helps.
Mine is smooth as silk also. Twin beads and a Pachmayr Power Pac.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:12 pm 
Utility Grade

thanks guys!
that makes me feel alot better about that notch.now i can actually shoot it with some peace of mind.my gun doesnt have the power pack.just the full choke barrel.

any idea where you can find the production date on these guns? i looked around online and found a little info.i mostly just read that it could be anywhere from the late 40s to the early 60s.

thanks again guys!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Here is a link you can entertain yourself with. Tells about dates,
and other stuff, like history, parts etc.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=244205

Enjoy.