CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Video of Spolar Reloader with PW Auto-Drive
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:18 pm 
Field Grade

For those of you who have Spolars, here is a short clip of my Spolar reloader with my new Ponsness Warren Auto-Drive attached.

It's very smooth and quiet. I notice I have much less powder dropped/spilled around the turret versus with the hand operation. Also during hand operation, I probably had 1 in 200 primers that would be tilted on the primer cup...I have not seen that happen with the Auto-Drive. The primers are not seating as deep as they were with the hand lever...not sure why. I've adjusted the primer ram as much as the Spolar instructions say but there is still a bit of a gap between the primer lip and the shell base after the shell leaves the primer station.

I have disabled the push-button safety mechanism that came with the Auto-Drive. It is now operated with a foot switch only and you must keep your hands, arms and small children away from the Spolar while operating the foot switch :)

Post subject: Re: Video of Spolar Reloader with PW Auto-Drive
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

What I found with mine was that while the auto drive instructions emphasize getting the handle forward position correct the real important part of adjusting the Spolar is the handle back position so that the bottom of the carrier just touches the base allowing no more than a sheet of paper space between them with the handle full back. If you adjust the auto drive to achieve this you will not have the high primer problem or the need to readjust the primer ram. But then you will find that in the handle forward position the handle stub is a little above the stop. and you MAY need to do a one time adjustment at the crimp station. Mine changed so little I did not need to readjust anything on the top.

Hope This helps
PS I will never own another loader without a auto drive I love mine and now have over 45 thousand trouble free reloads on it and my Spolar
--- Chip King ---

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tallengr, where did you get those hoppers for your shells and wads. I like them a lot better than my open boxes. They look like pet food feeders?

BTW, I have the same setup with the button bypassed. I have found I can get into a rhythm and just leave the petal to the metal so to speak. It sure cranks out rounds.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:52 am 
Crown Grade

Yeah, - those gigantic pet foot feeders look awesome ! I've never seen them so big, nor ever thought that they would actually dispense hulls.

And foot pedals are great too, I have them on my two Automates, and I'm making up peal kits for the automate. When you say pedal-to-medal, on the Auto-Drive, you still have to let up on the pedal to get the machine to reverse, right ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:19 am 
Crown Grade

It appears that there is an over run of the cycle,when you let up on the foot pedal,to put the wad and shell in the reloader.Is this normal, or should you let up earlier on the foot pedal so you are at half cycle?On the Spolar power load, the hydro stops at the half cycle and an audible sound tells you that
you are at that half cycle,it also gives you an audible sound at that end of the next half cycle.The hydro
unit appears to cycle faster than the Auto Drive.+1 on what Chip King says,I would never go back to manual operation,other than setting up a new load.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

On a hydro the motion is up then down and the arm is back and forth. On the automate (?) the arm is going in a complete circlular motion. Totally different set up and can only be compared by finished product.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:04 pm 
Field Grade

Those are dog food feeders holding the hulls and wads. I got them at my local PetsMart. The hulls don't always feed, but a quick shake and they come tumbling out. I am going to try and enlarge the opening to allow the hulls to flow better. I like that they're clear and you can see how many are left. They hold about 400-500 hulls and about 1000 wads.

As far as operation of the motor...it's still new to me and I'm learning to use it versus the manual method I used before. As I said, I disabled the safety button, but kept the forward/reverse toggle switch (the foot pedal only turns the motor on/off, the toggle switch on the safety box makes the motor reverse) What I've been doing as far as reloading is not stop the motor rotation to put in the wad, but I will stop it to insert the hull. The primer vibration sound is the "signal" for me to get off the foot pedal and insert the hull. That turret comes down pretty fast and I feel stopping the motor while body parts are between the turret and the hull post assembly is probably the safe thing to do. If someone has any other hints, please pass them on! Oh and my son timed me, I churned out 100 shells in 12 minutes, or about 500/hour using the method you see in the video.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Nope Republican when he says petal to the metal it means just that. Since the auto-drive uses a circular motion to drive there is no need to stop and reverse. The only down side is that if you want to stop at the top and bottom of the stroke it requires that you get off the switch. My unit has a toggle switch that I run with my thumb and it took me about 30 seconds to get the hang of letting go to stop at top (to insert hull) and at the bottom (to inset the wad). GREAT set up and just keeps on ticking (up to 11,556 loads so far for 2012). I reset the counter at the start of each new year. My auto-drive is Spolar unit #001 and came without the Lawyer switch thank goodness.

--- Chip King ---

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

My auto drive lawyer switch was killed by someone very very close to the originators.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:00 pm 
Crown Grade

I see now, what is happening in the video,you just need to release the switch at the right time to
get the machine stopped where you want it.Do you have to adjust the slip clutch, before you set
up the machine in case of a jam?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:52 pm 
Field Grade

As far as the slip clutch, it was pre-set at about 115in-lb on the factory allen-head screws (per the instructions). That was very close to making the machine operate normally. I tightened them up just a bit more to prevent some slipping I saw happening. I found the clutch slipped less spinning one direction versus the other...not sure why.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do you have the tops cut off the pet feeders for easy loading??

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:33 pm 
Field Grade

The container tops are removable for easy filling of dog food....or in this case hulls and wads :) I used a dremel tool tonight to open the base of the hull dispenser a bit more to allow the hulls to feed better. It seems to be working better now. I also had to cut a semi-circle opening in the bottom portion of the clear "jar" to match the opening I cut in the base.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tallengnr, I just watched your video again and I see the difference in the way I do it. I place the hull in the "recess" as the carriage is going up and as soon as it leaves my hand I look over and pick up another hull. Then my eyes glance across the primer feed to make sure one is in place. I already have a wad in my hand and I see the wad carrier coming to it's apex and I place the wad in position and I immediately look over and grab another wad.

Your eyes now go back to the left side and you roll in the hull that is already in your hand,again as the carriage is going up and then immediately select another hull. and so on and so on ad nauseum.

Placing the hull in the recess on the way up gets you out of harms way. I often "grab" my wad by sticking my index finger into the wad.

This machine with this drive will run at a rate of 900 hulls per hour. Of course you can not maintain that for that length of time because you have to load primers, get more hulls and wads. My plastic boxes that I use for the hulls and wads hold about 250 of each. Having the whole surface of the box available for me to select a hull or wad makes it faster I think than your pet food devices although I really like the look of them.

I am trying to get ready to go to Vegas for the Zone 7 Skeet Shoot and will be back early next week and will make a video and post it here for you to see. I think the basic difference is that I have a hull and a wad in my hands virtually 95% of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Very nice set-up tallengnr. After watching your video I noticed this new video with a very interesting Spolar Gold modification that might need to be your next project. Probably from a fellow SGW member.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:44 am 
Presentation Grade

As you watch the video pay attention to his right hand and thumb. That is the way my auto-drive set up is mounted and used except I have the toggle on the end closest to me. Since I don't have the hull feeder my thumb relaxes at the top and my left hand adds a hull and then at the bottom my right hand comes off the switch gets a wad drops it in and then back on the switch. That unit appears to be electrically controlled with the sensor mounted on the left shaft end. Well thought out I would not mind having one like that since I seem to be getting lazy in my old age. I would like to know more.

--- Chip King ---

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:55 am 
Crown Grade

I have heard something on the web about the spinning faster in one direction,than the other,Tallengnr,
but they did not expand on the topic.That's a cool mod shell feeder also.One piece of advice on the
powered reloader drives, is that once the machine tries to bite at your fingers,you will sure never
forget it.Been there done that.