CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Briley Sidekicks vs. Briley Full Length Tubes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:04 pm 
Field Grade

Was wondering if anyone had any pros & cons on these two items.

Anybody that uses the sidekicks, do you really like them or wish you would have gone with the full-length tubes?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Briley Sidekicks vs. Briley Full Length Tubes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:33 am 
Limited Edition

I started with sidekicks which briley fitted to my 20 ga. 525. I found that every choke that I put in the 20 would produce a cylinder pattern through the 28 or 410 tubes.

I sent the sidekicks to briley to have full length tubes made. They credited me the cost of the sidekicks toward the cost of the full length tubes. Very happy with the full length tubes :D

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I had a similar experience.

Now I shoot a 3 barrel set.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:33 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks guys for the info. Although a 3 barrel would be nice, right now its out the question.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not everyone is a lawyer!! :lol:

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife

Krieghoff K 80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
NSCA 546619
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

I had the opposite experience. I had a set of 28 ga tubes that I cut to side kick length. They patterned good as tubes but I just couldn't get used to the weigh and balance. I borrowed a 28 ga set of sidekicks and they shot just as well as my tubes. so of course, got the hack saw out and started cutting a little bit at a time. After the first two cuts (10" each) they were terrible. So I went to a buddies house who has a lathe and we cut them all the way down to sidekick length and they shoot great and the gun feels like normal weight and balance. I have heard the 28 ga sidekicks work best and I had to try various factory loads before I was satisfied with the patterns.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:22 am 
Tournament Grade

I had the tubes and the weight was so terrible that I had to shoot close to mounted with them. Balance was terrible and it felt like I was swinging a brick instead of a gun! I bought the sidekicks and they worked great but you must go one notch tighter in the chokes you use on your gun. That makes all the difference in the world!!!!

Since you use the same gun you do not need to practice with them like you would if you had a designatd sub-gauge gun. I used them at the M&M US Open sub-gauge Fitasc for 20 gauge and they were great. I sold my tubes to a friend who eventually bought a sub-gauge gun!! What does that tell you!!!

Locked On
John Siciliano

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have an SV10 Prevail III and I'm considering buying Briley Sidekick tubes in 20Ga. What chokes would you recommend I use with the 20GA short tubes in my SV10? M/IM or IC/M?

NSCA #636379
Pure Gold Ultra Series Chokes

Home Club:
Upland Valley Sporting Clays
Carrollton, Ohio

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have used Briley sidekicks, Seminole chambermates, Briley full length tubes and a set of Briley full length that I cut down to about 5"s. I learned that you must have full lenth for 410 to get a good pattern. The short tubes worked excellent in 20 and 28 gauge. Borrow a set and try them with Mod chokes in your 12 gauge. I use the cut down full length tubes so I can use any brand of target loads. I made 1st Team Open All American in 20 and 28 gauge with them, so they must work.

William

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Bubba,

Thanks for the info!!! I look forward to giving the Briley sidekicks in 20GA a try in my SV10. I've read nothing but positive things about them, especially the 20Ga and 28Ga as you stated above.

NSCA #636379
Pure Gold Ultra Series Chokes

Home Club:
Upland Valley Sporting Clays
Carrollton, Ohio

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:13 am 
Diamond Grade

Sidekicks in 20 gauge work just fine. I shoot M/IM and break everything you expect to see on a sub gauge course. You will get alot of blow back and a filthy receiver. After a few hundred you need to clean your gun. Remember you should use STS or AA. Anything with a brass base. Briley makes this quite clear for reliable results.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:03 am 
Utility Grade

This is really a question of money for most. I know my son and a number of young shooters share the sidekick sets at major sporting clay events. My son has shot chambermates for years with great success. Managing to win a 20 ga national championship shooting 89/100 at Nationals with them at the age of 12. He shoots 40 to 45/50 very consistently with 20/28/410 sets. They shoot very well for the money and weight is no issue.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:33 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I have a set of Side Kicks and I love them, except for the 410. I just don't seem to break the targets as well with them. This just might be me but I can't tell the difference in the 20 / 28 gauges. I will try shooting a tighter 12 gauge choke for the 410. I shoot mod for the other two gauges. I agree that the weight is a lot better than with a full length tube set. Plus my gun has a better balance. It is really just like shooting my 12 gauge. I have a 20 gauge that I had Briley to make me a set of 410 tubes back in the 90's for hunting, I find them heavy but I can kill dove and quail with them just as well as if I were using a 12 gauge.

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:52 pm 
Field Grade

When you guy's cut your full length tubes down what is the total overall length you were left with I have a full length set of 28 guage tubes i can't hit anything with so i might try to cut them down

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Agree with Mike. 20 and 28 work fine...breaks anything out to 40+ yards. Just trust them. .410s aren't worth the money. Big energy-loss and pattern consistency issues. I'd get a longer tube set for that gauge, if you can deal with the balance issue. Also need to be aware of that the little red teflon buttons on the side of each tube that keeps them tight in the barrel pop out very easily. Bad design. Briley will replace for free, but it's a pain. I put a couple of wraps of teflon tape around them to keep them in place. These short tubes are filthy to shoot and the tape also creates a better seal in the barrel and keeps your gun a little cleaner from powder fouling. You can also wrap them with tape to use them in a pinch if you lose one of the buttons and can't get it replaced before you want to shoot it again. Also coat the outside of the tubes with a thin film of grease - I use choke tube grease - before you shoot them each time. This will make cleaning them a little easier. I shoot LM/Mod (U2/3) with mine and it works well. Even with a full choke I don't think you'd get much better than a cylinder or IC pattern out of 12 ga. barrel anyway, particularly with the 28 ga. tubes.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Seminole gunworks has data and pattern reviews on there website. They (including the 410) pattern very well. There have been many shoots and championships won with chambermates. I know for a fact that the socal topgun kids have a number of briley sidekick sets and have shot some amazing scores. They pattern well and my kid loves them as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

SEF wrote:
When you guy's cut your full length tubes down what is the total overall length you were left with I have a full length set of 28 guage tubes i can't hit anything with so i might try to cut them down

I cut my full length tubes down a few inches at a time. Ended up with the exact length of the sidekicks (28 ga) and they worked the best. Not sure what they ended up but they are very short. Need to test different loads from various manufacturers, that was key.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:00 pm 
Field Grade

I shot a 30" K-80 with subgauge tubes for several years. At 9.956 pounds, it was good for skeet, but heavy for sporting clays. It had a recoil device and an adjustable comb.

I sold the K-80, bought a 32" Blaser, and had Briley install subgauge tubes. It weights 9.3 pounds with the tubes installed. It does not have a recoil device or an adjustable comb. The Blaser with subgauge tubes is a nice combination, and I enjoy shooting it.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

In my testing with 28ga sidekicks choke didn't make a difference but the load did.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire