It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shotshell reloading in Aus?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:12 am 
Utility Grade

Hi all,

I'm just new to the sport, and thinking of reloading my own shells. Do you all think that it is financially viable to reload in Aus?

I've just bought a case of "Mirage" shells at my local club which worked out to AU$5.70 per box. What sort of price would I be looking at if I reloaded my own?

I've also seen the "Lee, LoadAll2" on sale in the states for about US$35. Does anyone know what I would be looking at for this sort of reloader at home? Alternatively, does anyone know if I could order it online and get it through customs?

Many thanks.
jaycee

Post subject: Re: Shotshell reloading in Aus?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Giday JC

I reloaded for a lot of years but find it is just as cheap to buy new .Most gun clubs will have shells at a good price.

Talk to the blokes at your local club and you will find a lot reload still

Derek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:24 am 
Derek 48 wrote:
Giday JC

I reloaded for a lot of years but find it is just as cheap to buy new .Most gun clubs will have shells at a good price.

Talk to the blokes at your local club and you will find a lot reload still

Derek

Thanks Derek.

What do you think it was costing you, per box, when you were reloading?
jaycee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

savings for reloading 12 ga shells are marginal,its reloading the smaller (and more expensive to buy) shells where you will save money.If you do buy a press,consider the MEC presses,they are much better than the load-all (I have a load-all and a MEC 600 jr) the MEC costs a bit more but is definitely worth the extra $.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JC

I couldn't realy say wot it was costing a box as it was about seven years ago I stoped reloading.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Derek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:41 pm 
Utility Grade

To save money by reloading u need to make your own shot, I retrieve lead from my pistol club and run it through a shotmaker, I buy my primers,wads and powder in bulk. I can reload two cases(500) for what you pay for one(500)

Cya Pat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:40 am 
Utility Grade

Derek 48 wrote:
JC

I couldn't realy say wot it was costing a box as it was about seven years ago I stoped reloading.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Derek

No worries. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Cheers,
jaycee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:44 am 
Utility Grade

Caerlonie wrote:
savings for reloading 12 ga shells are marginal,its reloading the smaller (and more expensive to buy) shells where you will save money.If you do buy a press,consider the MEC presses,they are much better than the load-all (I have a load-all and a MEC 600 jr) the MEC costs a bit more but is definitely worth the extra $.

I've heard that the MEC are better quality. I was hoping to get into this as cheaply as possible just to test the waters and see whether it was worth my while. Do you think the load-all would work well enough to give me an idea of what reloading is all about - at least until I could justify spending the extra cash.

Cheers,
jaycee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:48 am 
Utility Grade

Pat Dury wrote:
To save money by reloading u need to make your own shot, I retrieve lead from my pistol club and run it through a shotmaker, I buy my primers,wads and powder in bulk. I can reload two cases(500) for what you pay for one(500)

Cya Pat

Thanks Pat. Making my own shot from reclaimed lead seems like an awful lot of trouble - I don't think I could be bothered.

Maybe this reloading caper is really not for me.

Cheers,
jaycee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:37 am 
Utility Grade

With the cost of lead going up and not taking your own time into account, reloading costs me the same as buying the Winchester Supreme's I use. However, if your reloads pattern well and you enjoy the experience of using your own shells then why not. It's all part of the game. Go on and enjoy it. By the way the MEC loaders are very good. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:44 am 
Presentation Grade

Jaycee,

The same discussion often comes up here in the states about how much can I save by reloading. The answer is usually nothing as you will probably spend more in the long run, but have more fun doing it.

The price for the popular factory loads in the popular gauges is just marginally more than what you can load them for. However the savings occurs when you specialize your loads or load for the smaller less popular gauges, and there we can often come in for about a quarter or less of a factory loaded cartridge.

I have and have used the MEC, Hornady and Lee Load-All II presses. The Lee will work and produce shootable cartridges. It's more work than the MEC and they often don't look as nice. The ends are not taper crimped, but still usable.

The big advantage they have for someone starting out is that they include a whole bunch of shot and powder bushings. Their primer feed is a source of frustration and doesn't always handle all the brands with the same level of ease. Taller primers have a tendency to hang up.

Very often they are given away to beginners by folks who graduate to the better outfits. Bottom line is they are good to learn the basics on and will wear out with heavy use. The MEC and Hornady products will just keep working.

There is that reloading cost calculator at: http://www.trapshooters.com/rlcalc.htm that will help you figure out your component costs.

Now even though I don't save money in the long run on the cheap 12's and 20's, I do have the ability to tailor my ammunition to the individual gun and target. You may come close, but you can't buy that from factory.

Even though this ain't particular to Australia, hope it is of some help.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:28 pm 
Utility Grade

As posted here before there is very little in the savings over tailor made shells by reloading.....I save .80c a box of 25.But when you take the cost of the purchase of the reloader it will take ages before you recoup the price of the machine.

There are a few places here in Australia that sell the Lee Load all new for $75...but you will soon tire of it if you are doing large amounts of reloading.I had a MEC size master and when I started to reload for myself and my father this single stage press was not enough for high volume.I imported a 9000G directly from the MEC factory in the US.Now every few months when I sit down to reload approx 4000 rounds it isnt quite as a chore.

I have patterned my reloads over several different brand shells eg mirage,fiocchi,nobelsport,winchester,rc,lylevale and mine always are more even on the pattern board than the others.

If you shoot a lot of #4 shot and larger in 32-36 gram for hunting you will save a hell of a lot more by reloading.

A lot of gun shops here in Australia have a few 2nd hand reloaders for sale for previous owners on thieir shelves.
I know of one that has a MEC 8567 grabber on his shelf that has been there for years for $150...ireckon you could get that for $100 if he just wanted to get rid of it!

Hope this info helps

Cheers from Western Australia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:35 pm 
Utility Grade

so 7 years on and whats every ones thoughts now? can you save a few dollars if you make your own shot?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

I reckon I could buy a flat of 12 ga trap shells now,cheaper that I could reload the empties.Not worth it from a financial point...but possibly still worthwhile if you want to tailor your loads (eg make really light or heavy loads in shot sizes not usually factory loaded).