CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cylinder bore.... can I trap with it?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:58 pm 
Utility Grade

I see what you are saying. All of my breaks were good and clean, Like I said with PRACTICE I can make a OPEN Bore work, same as the guys getting 25's with EF

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you pattern your open choke at 35-40 yards, where trap targets are broken, you will see holes in your pattern. That will let the occasional target slip through, through no fault of your shooting, which will keep you from that elusive 25, but you can hit most of them and have fun trying. Mark

Post subject: Cylinder bore.... can I trap with it?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:59 pm 
Limited Edition

One of the boys on the SCTP team shot 25 straight with a Remington 1100 fixed choke skeet barrel :O

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:10 pm 
Field Grade

Stop all this BS, DON't use it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:00 pm 
Utility Grade

1DIRT wrote:

You know, I was curious, I got answers and I tried it with surprisingly positive results. Does it mean I am gonna do it again? most likely not. Is it or was it a B.S. question? absolutley not. I honestly wanted to know. would I use it in the field? HECK NO!
I found out that a couple of the best shooters at the club I go to are 24-25 shooters with a 26"bbl and either cyl bore or IC. So, it is my belief that you can use it with good result if you are willing to put the time and effort into the sport.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:50 pm 
Crown Grade

gunforhire wrote:
1DIRT wrote:

You know, I was curious, I got answers and I tried it with surprisingly positive results. Does it mean I am gonna do it again? most likely not. Is it or was it a B.S. question? absolutley not. I honestly wanted to know. would I use it in the field? HECK NO!
I found out that a couple of the best shooters at the club I go to are 24-25 shooters with a 26"bbl and either cyl bore or IC. So, it is my belief that you can use it with good result if you are willing to put the time and effort into the sport.

You can shoot skeet with full chokes in.

You can shoot trap with IC chokes or CYL.

What some in this thread are trying to tell you -some very nicely dancing around it, and also in some cases they are being very direct, is that it is not a good idea or practice to do either of the above.

Top shooters in their respective disciplines just don't do this. They may once in a while for fun, but you can bet they don't if there are any bets on the line.

This is the fundamental reason that we use choke constrictions - first in fixed choke guns, and now with removable chokes; to match the pattern density and distribution to the type of game that is being shot and for the distances that it is being shot over.

Likewise,
You can hunt quail and woodcock with full choke guns
You can hunt turkey with cylinder choked guns,

but as we all know, your chances of success would be much less and it would be foolish to do so if you had a more suitable gun/choke.

Target games are no different.

And it is generally a myth that guys routinely run 24 or 25 targets with CYL bore in trap or full chokes in skeet. Can it be done? Yes. Is this very repeatable? Not very often.

When you say
Quote:

I might assume that you are actually talking about skeet shooters when you say "can I trap with it", maybe you are just getting that confused with part of the title of this thread ".....can I trap with it..." because most good trap shooters do not use 26" CYL barrels. While the current trend is to longer barrels for skeet these days, many skeet shooters do us 26" barrels, and CYL, IC, and Skeet chokes all can work fairly well.

Last edited by VTHokiesDuckHunter on Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:49 pm 
Utility Grade

to the above: I am talking about trap. not skeet. I am in a singles leauge. I shoot a 870express and up to the beginning of this month, I was running IC and not doing so hot. that's about the time I asked the question, as I checked it after I left the range. I have been getting more consistent score with it having a MOD in it and Thus far I am happy. I included my results from trying a open cylinder for fun more than anything. My background is skeet and sporting clays so I went with what I kind of knew, when it didn't work, I changed it upon the board's suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

Nothing wrong with experimenting for fun. DDF

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:24 am 
Crown Grade

To each their own I guess. I have shot singles with my 18.5" cylinder bore barrel both with regular stock and with pistol grips. While I admit it was fun, it did make for very poor shooting. I wouldn't even consider doubles with it. Smoking a clay is my favorite part of trap shooting and it just can't be accomplished with an open choke.

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:25 pm 
Field Grade

Maser wrote:
To each their own I guess. I have shot singles with my 18.5" cylinder bore barrel both with regular stock and with pistol grips. While I admit it was fun, it did make for very poor shooting. I wouldn't even consider doubles with it. Smoking a clay is my favorite part of trap shooting and it just can't be accomplished with an open choke.

Bingo.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:32 am 
Tournament Grade

Nothing wrong with practising and finding out for yourself.

In the "I love my Guerini" subforum, I ran a load through all my factory chokes, including some 3rd party Full chokes. The best pattern, at 35 measured yards, came from the Improved-Cylinder choke. This shocked me, as I had "Faith In Full" since when I first started clay shooting. I have tried about 20 sessions so far with the IC in practise, and I hate to say it, it's proving awesome. I accept it may just be a placebo effect due to the pattern plate success.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Norbert Brodine wrote:
Nothing wrong with practising and finding out for yourself.

In the "I love my Guerini" subforum, I ran a load through all my factory chokes, including some 3rd party Full chokes. The best pattern, at 35 measured yards, came from the Improved-Cylinder choke. This shocked me, as I had "Faith In Full" since when I first started clay shooting. I have tried about 20 sessions so far with the IC in practise, and I hate to say it, it's proving awesome. I accept it may just be a placebo effect due to the pattern plate success.

Just curious. How do you define "best pattern"? Is it pattern diameter? Holes in 30" circle? Or what?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:28 pm 
Field Grade

Trap shooters may get hung up on the choke business, that much is true.
But the question was how would an open choke with a 20 " barrel do?
Where I shoot there are a few local enlisteded young fellows that show up from time to time with some 12 gauge shotguns still in the box.
Well one nice young shooter stepped up next to me with his assault style 12 gauge with what looked like a 10 inch barrel (exageration) and started firing at the clays. Never hit one and still was rolling along at 100% misses after 3 more rounds.
No one would offer any assistance to the dude because that gun would unleash such a loud boom with each shot it was well, uncomfortable.
I left the line after two shots. I just don't have that good of ear protection.
He seemed to be having a great time launching big booms and throwing lead out there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Trap shooters use MOD, Improved MOD, and Full chokes for a good reason. I shoot mostly skeet and Sporting Clays, but you can bet if I shoot trap for any reason I use at least a MOD or IM at the 16 yard line and Full beyond that.

You may break a few clays with a more open choke, but if you want to be the most effective, you use the best tool for the job.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
Trap shooters use MOD, Improved MOD, and Full chokes for a good reason. I shoot mostly skeet and Sporting Clays, but you can bet if I shoot trap for any reason I use at least a MOD or IM at the 16 yard line and Full beyond that.

You may break a few clays with a more open choke, but if you want to be the most effective, you use the best tool for the job.

I agree with you and shot a mod for 16, but have been told to shoot 16 yard trap with an ic to force me to get on the bird and shoot quicker. This was with a 1-1/8 load of reclaimed (mixed pellet sizes) shot. If I loaded 1 ounce, I was to use a modified to avoid holes in patterns.

A guy did show me how he could hit trap from the 16 with my open cylinder 870 and full target loads, but he was a skilled pot shooter who got on them just as they came out of the house.