CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta ES100 Pintail
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:25 pm 
Utility Grade

I have an older Pintail ES100 shotgun. I really like the gun and have used it for many years. It has developed an issue where it is now jamming after the first shot. It does not always jam but jams about every 7 shots. When it jams, the spent shell is fully ejected from the gun, but the new shell gets stuck between the magazine and the barrel. It is fully out of the magazine and stuck at an angle going up to the barrel. I have to pull the lever back to rack the shell for it to go in to the barrel. The gun fires every time but the shells hanging up is a problem.

I removed the stock and cleaned and lubricated the spring assembly. I also cleaned the reciever. I tried to remove the magazine but could not get it to break free from the receiver. I read that I should heat the tube to remove it.

My question is if anyone else has any advice on what to do to get the gun to cycle after every shot. The spring in the tube in the stock appeared to be in good shape. A friend told me that this could be the reson for the jaming. I cleaned the tube, spring and the other part that came out and lubricated all with Remington oil. given that the gun is about 25 years old, should I replace the springs? Any advice on what to do would be helpful.

Thank you, Gregg

Post subject: Re: Beretta ES100 Pintail
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:04 am 
Crown Grade

It wouldn't hurt to replace the magazine spring if it is 25 years old. Also make sure the shell follower is smooth all the way around where it rides inside the mag tube. I think MGW has the parts for this gun, you might call them.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Surecycle makes or made a recoil spring for the gun, i think you can still get them. I have not had that issue with mine, but it doesn't see much use anymore except for turkeys.

I don't think these are noted for have any chamber issues, but did you try other shells? I have seen some very poor factory shells lately that have a mushroom looking crimp and will not feed very well.

I would not think the mag spring has anything to do with it. I had some issues when using buffered turkey load and the buffering came out and got in the tube. Compressed air cleaned it and no issues.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:09 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for the tips, I will order a new spring and try that. The shells I generally am shooting are 3 inch duck/ goose loads and I am buying Remington / Federal shells in steel shot so I would think that it would have enough power to drive the action.

Gregg

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:24 pm 
Limited Edition

Is the shell head stopping as the rim tries to pass behind extractor on it's way up the bolt face? If so, check the bottom inside edge of the extractor for wear. It should be well beveled so that it doesn't dig into the rim. Also, make sure the extractor moves freely against it's spring and plunger. If it can't, it could be hindering the shell rim from passing behind it.

WOB

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:00 pm 

Welcome to SGW. You more than likely habve a dirty magazine assembly. You do in fact need to heat the magazine tube near the receiver to melt the thread locker. Then use something like a strap wrench break it loose. Once you break it loose, turn it out by hand. Keep a good hold of it when it comes out so it does not turn into a missle from the spring pressure. Clean the tube, spring, and the follower. Only lightly lube the spring and nothing esle. Just don't use RemOil. Use a good oil like CLP, FP-10, or Militec. Leave off the thread locker and tighten the tube back down with a strap wrench. Leaving the locker off makes it easier next time. The magazine assembly should be cleaned at least once a year or right after the gun gets real wet.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

My Pintail occasionally has the same problem. If I shoot shells that do not have a good round finishing crimp they catch on the ridge just ahead of the chamber. This problem would occur more frequently if the recoil spring is getting weak or dirty. Kent Fasteel shells were so bad I would run them through the finishing crimp stage on my reloader. The gun would then function flawlessly. As much as I like the gun, I think the ridge at the mouth of the chamber is a design mistake on Beretta's part.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:59 pm 
Utility Grade

HI everyone,

I have a es100 pintail as well and I'm having the same issue most people have jam on 2 or 3rd shot. the gun started doing this about 2 season ago. it's very annoying. Now before this season start I want a make sure that this will not happen. I have clean the mechanism and trigger and tube magazine with break clean. I have just order a new tube magazine spring and a spring, forehand cap.

I have dissemble the stock and I'm trying to clean the recoil spring.

How do I access the recoil spring that is in the stock? I was going to heat it close to the trigger side and try to turn it with a wrench? the same way I did the tube magazine is that correct?

I'm also very tented to order this:
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/BRT03
and this:
http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/ ... 57620.aspx

The gun is about 8 years old and I shoot and average of 1000 to 500 round every season.
these round are a mix of light load and heavy load and slug. most the jam I had was with 2 3/4 woodcock load and 3" duck load.