CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite Annie Oakley, knock out loads?
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

It has been years since I played that game, I don't remember what loading I used but I wasn't all that successful as I remember it. So, do any of you long range shooters here have a favorite loading for this type of clay target games?

Post subject: Re: Favorite Annie Oakley, knock out loads?
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:37 am 
Field Grade

My back yard is equipped with a patterning board that has seen most of the popular wads tested on it. The wad that has consistently thrown the tightest patterns out of my Berettas is the Versalite, formerly made by Hornady and now by Downrange http://www.downrangemfg.com/index.php/b ... gory_id=34 When I pattern, I count the pellet stikes in 30" circles and compare the percentages. I have not patterned the Downrange version, only the Hornadys but they look the same. Your results may vary. Remington Nitro 27's are the only thing I have patterned that throw a tighter pattern than the Veralites.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:55 am 
Crown Grade

Used to shoot trap from the deck at Mile High trap and skeet with a 10 gauge, and it's a good 60 yards from the deck just to the back line of the trap field.

Un-slit wads is going to give the longest range before the shot separates from the wad, then it all comes down to how tight you are choked up from there.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mtgrs737,

A lot of what load to use will depend on what you are allowed to shoot at your club. For instance at one club I shot at it is shoot what you can load IE anything and everything. At another it is 1 1/8 of 7 1/2 at 1200 fps because of the length of the fallout zone. Look at Green Dot powder and load the heaviest load in 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 in a federal hull your choice of size lead ( 6, 7, or 7 1/2) with proper wad and it will reach out to the fartherest bird you can shoot at. We shoot from 40 plus yards away from the front of the trap house and hit fourth shots just before the bird hits the ground with those loads. It is not too bad on recoil and with a real tight choked barrel it patterns good at 40 yards. Remember to honor what loads the club limits for your shooting. Lyle

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:16 am 
Tournament Grade

i would probably go with a load using pro reach powder, made by alliant powder. i use it with some of my reloads and like it alot. they have quite a few annie oakly loads in there

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Factory AA or Nitro Sporting Clays loads, 7 1/2s @ 1300 fps. Mark

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:49 pm 
Field Grade

1 1/8 oz of 7s, Spolar gold wads, 31 gr of longshot and win 209 in a remington nitro gold hull

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Factory: Nitro Gold. Reload: Federal GM hull, Fed209A primer, 24 gr Unique, 12S3 wad (oem or clone), 1-1/8 oz No. 7.5 shot.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:09 am 
Diamond Grade

Thanks to all who posted a reply here, I appreciate your views. It has been a long time since I played this game and I think I will have a go at it the next time the oppertunity comes up. However I will do some prep work and pattern some loads at long range to see what works best in my gun. Thanks to everyone!