It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: WWII service shotgun? Completely confused
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:42 am 
Crown Grade

Just for giggles and grins, I looked up the name INVINCIBLE in my reference books and came up with Iver Johnson"Arms & Cycle Works as the manufacturer if there is no foreign proof mark stamped on the barrel.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:51 am 
Crown Grade

Just looked up the name INVINCIBLE in my listing of "Trade Brand Names" and it cross references to the Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works as the maker if there are no foreign proof marks stamped on the barrel.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:06 am 
Field Grade

From Bluebook of Gun Values, 34th Edition(2013) page 1952; Stevens single barrel guns and Winchester Model 37 single barrel guns (Winchester records show 5410 Model 37 guns shipped to the military) were procured by the military in WWII.

The shotgun pictured has a flat frame and the Iver Johnson single barrel guns I have seen all have raised frames. Additionally, the tongue of the stock resembles either Stevens or Harrington and Richardson models.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:54 am 
Crown Grade

It's definitely NOT a Winchester M37, and looks like an Iver-Johnson "trade-name".

When I was in the Marines during the Korean War, the only shotguns I saw were the ones used by "prison chasers" for guarding "brig rats", and they were mostly Winchester riot guns, primarily Model 12s and a few Model 97s. Special Services had some Model 11 autos (with 30" barrels) that we could use, as well. I understand that later, some Ithaca 37s were used as well.

I never heard of a single shot shotgun being used for any purpose. Besides, there doesn't appear to be any "US", branch of service, or "inspectors's stamps" on the gun.

When I was stationed stateside in Camp Lejeune, I DID have a Model 37 12 gauge in my locker for use in hunting on base when opportunity and regulations allowed it, and the PX sold hunting loads for it. And some of my buddies had theirs, too. But NO WAY was that my "service firearm".

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:45 pm 
Field Grade

Both single and double barrel guns were used to train aerial gunners during WWII (see the Bluebook of Gun values reference above.) Also there was an article in one of the Gun Digest editions (somewhere between 1960 and 1990+-) some years ago that showed pictures IIRC of single and double barrel guns in use in training situations (I have all 65 editions of Gun Digest, but I'm not sufficiently motivated to search some 30+- copies to find the exact reference).

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:58 pm 
Crown Grade

I posted this late last night but it seems to have disappeared into cyber space.

According to my research on "Trade Brand Name" shotguns a single barrel with the name INVINCIBLE but with no foreign proof marks on the barrel was made by the Iver John's Arms & Cycle Works. "Trade Brand Name" shotguns with the trade brand name stamped on them did not have original maker marks or logo stamped on them.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:57 am 
Utility Grade

I also have a shotgun markes invincible but it is a 16 gauge. From all the internet surfing and comparing the mainspring setup and other little things are different from any of the iver johnson models. Would they of changed things up for a hardware gun?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:57 pm 
Crown Grade

One thing is for sure .... it's DEFINITELY NOT a Model 37 Winchester - the M 37s have the opening lever FORWARD of the hammer - that's one of the reasons the M37 Winchesters were so popular.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:36 pm 
Utility Grade

Ive looked at all the iver johnson models and they all have only the mainspring going into the tang. My invincible 16 guage has the mainspring and the locking bolt spring going into the tang. The harington and richardson 1900 &1915 and the similair variations have the same. Not sure what is up qith maker trade brand deal is with these particular shotguns. I have some parts on the way to compare and varify that is an h&r gun.