It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tucson Trap and Skeet Club
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:02 am 
Limited Edition

Has anyone (besides me) shot at the Tucson Trap and Skeet Club lately? I've been a club member for many years, nothing to shout about a League level shooter at best. For a while I was afraid it would missmanage (no fraud, just poor maintenance really and a few poor decissions) itself to death, but in the past couple years and especially in tha past year, Oh My God what a change there has been. They are a much more professional organization than they have EVER been and through an incredable donation the club has doubled in size from a very respectably sized club to a truly huge facility. I was wondering what you all thought about the many exciting changes at this facility.

Post subject: Re: Tucson Trap and Skeet Club
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Hmmmm 18 visits and not a single reply. Maybe this is in the wrong place..... the Club has turned into quite the shooting facility none-the-less.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You pretty well covered it all in you're post. I can't add anything but to say yep, he's right.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

follow this link to join the forum's bonus Membership
http://www.shotgunworld.com/memberships.htm

Post subject: Croder de Lompio Classic
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Went down to this club for the first time in many years. The last time I was at this club, I was pretty sure we drove around the OTHER end of the trap and skeet fields, where the course was. Targets were mostly crossers, and way, way out there I remember. Nothing worth returning to.

Now, this club has two sporting clays courses. Targets were a good mix of crossers, rabbit, shondell, etc. That was the first big change I noticed, good targets. Second, where are the traps? haha. Traps are hidden and the trap setters make good use of the desert background. As a walker, the Red course has stations that are quite spread out. I will return....hopefully with a cart or someone with a cart!

Do they rent carts there? They should.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I've got to get out more. I was a life member when they moved out there from the old Pnatano and 22nd address.Have not busted a cap since 1989, mu eyes went south. Gene Ragel and his son Carl built the first two skeet fields.I helped on the weekends mixing cement and such. I dont soppose I would know anyone there any more,guess I'll just have to go see.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:05 pm 
Utility Grade

As an active duty military member, I was very surprised with the caliber of the facilities at the Tucson Trap and Skeet Club. I just finished up shooting the skeet league and now we are on tri-stand combo. The club has a lot to offer the sporting clays shooter with the 15 skeet fields, 50 trap fields, 5 bunker trap fields, etc. I would definitely recommend those individuals who pass through Tucson to make a stop and shoot a few rounds.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:32 pm 
Limited Edition

I joined for a year and wish I had my money back. While some aspects of the club are nice some are not so nice.To start with the clubs prices are high and the way you pay is inconvenient. To shoot trap and skeet it takes one card and for sporting clay you need to purchase a different card and have loaded. To shoot 5 stand it's pay as you go, who carries cash these days ? Now for the part I really don't like. The trap fields are all voice activated but skeet fields don't have this luxury. I don't normally carry a person around to pull for me so it's inconvenient to shoot by myself. I was told there are a lot of skeet shooters to shoot with but they are gone by 11 or 12 o'clock. I cant make it by then or even if I could I wouldn't want to as I'm lazy and like to shoot when the sun is up. Yes, there are employees that will pull for you but I always feel like I have to hurry causing me not to be able to focus properly. That's my take. I like Ben Avery much much better but then I don't live close to it anymore. I'll probably shoot what I have loaded on my card and then nail the card to the wall in my reloading room. Ron

If you want to sell it post a picture, Bonehead!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:39 am 
Utility Grade

I love the place and don't really have any complaints. Except the heat in the summer...haha. I've only shot skeet but am looking forward to trying sporting clays.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:31 am 
Tournament Grade

Last weekend I went for the first time to the facility for the Winter Chain Event. Everyone from the office personnel to the scorekeepers were great, friendly and helpful. I had one of the best times shooting. It's a huge facility, very clean and updated. If they accepted credit/debit cards, I would have spend more money. I definitely will go back again !!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Started shooting S/C's at TT&S four years ago, I normally (not bird hunting season) shoot S/C's three times a week and have found their two S/C's courses to be well set up and the targets reset at good intervals. All of their staff are very polite and helpful, consider it a well run club with some well known personnel that shoot there, and do the target setting.

Gene

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:17 am 
Field Grade

I took a short 50 year break from shooting. Got started again last year while preparing for a pheasant hunt in Idaho.

Met Gene at TTSC and he taught me everything I know about Sporting Clays, which is not a lot. TTSC is a world class operation. I don't know what the comments about credit cards are all about. I purchase everything there with credit cards. Yes you have to buy different cards for Trap and Skeet versus Sporting Clays but that is because the controllers are different manufacturers. You can put as much credit on the cards as you want so you don't have to go back to the store so often.

I started with Trap to find out if I could hit anything. Answer, at first, no. Some guys who had been shooting for 50 years more more gave me a few lessons and then let me shoot with them.

I then started with the Sporting Clays and fell in love with it. There were two courses last year, Blue and Red. Blue has more vegetation obscuring the target launchers and initial flight. Red is more open southwest desert type with launchers obscured. We now have a new White course which is superb. Lots of vegetation and really challenging target profiles.

I use the Sporting Clay circuits to get ready for bird hunting. I do pretty well on live birds in the field. Now I am getting hooked on Sporting Clays themselves. I try to shoot at least twice a month. The three circuits and the controllers give you a lot of variety and you can start out simple and move up to really challenging profiles at your own pace. Of course along the way you need to buy new and different shotguns and a variety of accessories to take care of the occasional missed targets.

Summer is tough here in Arizona. You have to start shooting at 7:00 AM in order to be through before it gets to 100 degrees. Mornings are beautiful, especially during our monsoon season when there was a rainshower the afternoon before and the desert animals are all out. Summer hours for the store and range office are Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday mornings 8:30 to 1:00. Store and range office are open daily in the fall, winter and spring, except Monday, I think. Anyway you can shoot any day so long as you have purchased your cards and have targets left on them.

Here's what is available:
    ¤50 Trap Fields with Cantebury system
    ¤13 Skeet fields (International capable, use Mattarelli machines)
    ¤Two 5-stand fields
    ¤2 Sporting Clay Courses with 12 Stations each
    ¤5 Station Sub-Gauge Sporting Clay Course
    ¤FITASC
    ¤Five International Bunkers (Use Mattarelli machines)
    ¤Trap, Skeet and 5-Stand Leagues (see games)
    ¤A 9,000 square foot club house (Now with Air Conditioning!!!)
    ¤Restaurant
    ¤Bar
    ¤Pro Shop
    ¤200 full-service RV hookups
    ¤Free Wi-Fi

I don't have a lot of experience on other ranges but TTSC fills my squares. I really enjoy it and wish I could get out there more often. If you are ever out in this part of the world it would be well worth your while to stop by TTSC and dust a few clays. [url]http://www.tucsontrapandskeet.com/[/url]