CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning superposed
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:26 am 
Utility Grade

ImageI posted this in the gun values forum also. I bought a superposed and I am looking for some input on it. It is a 4 digit serial #. No engraving or scrolling at all. Double trigger that either trigger will fire both barrells. 26" Barrels marked **s on both. Has a recoil pad, but stock is not cut. Fore end has a hair line crack. Blueing is wore on bottom of reciever area. Wood has some dings dents scratches, But not bad. Finish on wood is wore through in places. Lever is right of center. Barrel has a solid raised rib. I bought it from an old friend whos father bought it new. They both used it in the field for many years. But I think it was cared for somewhat. Any idea on rarity, value, year? Thanks.

Last edited by sman on Thu May 17, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You have a early model Browning Superposed made in the early thirties. Give us the first two digits and we'll give you a better idea. It sounds like it's been rode hard and put up wet, but it's likely to be a very nice old shotgun.

A brand new Superposed can be ordered from the custom shop and costs about $25,000. But you can buy a nearly perfect 12 gauge Superposed from the thirties for about $1,500 in the field grades, and yours isn't perfect. It still ought to be worth at least $500. [provided the barrels are sound and not seperated, and everything works as it should). Somewhere in between those numbers is a good guess as to what it's worth.

Your gun is a skeet gun, and both chokes are marked skeet. It's one of the finest quality double shotguns the world has ever known. It was built using machinery, but completely hand fitted and hand assembled. Don't shoot steel shot through it, as the barrels won't handle steel shot.

Don't sell that gun. You can't replace it for what you'd get for it.

Post subject: Re: Browning superposed
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:58 am 
Utility Grade

Serial # 75** the barrels appear to be in good cond. Gun seems to be very tight. Dont plan on selling it. Didn"t know how rare it was. Cant seem to find any with that trigger configuration.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:53 pm 
Crown Grade

There are very few double-single trigger Brownings for sale. Most people who find one do not let them go. Without a picture, I would say your gun is worth from $700 to $975, considering the field wear, recoil pad, and cracked forend. This is a scarce gun and a great shooter.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
Don't sell that gun. You can't replace it for what you'd get for it.

Amen.

http://www.thesunontheweb.com
http://www.thegunowner.com

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

The numbers on pre war supers aren't always an indication of when they were assembled and shipped. I have a pre war super that has a 4 digit # 19xx and it was assembled and shipped in July 1934. I love this gun, and I use it for skeet every week. What happened was this gun has 30" barrels, and originally had full & Modified chokes. Well, someone bored the chokes to .005 & .014 which for me, is perfect for skeet.

Others are right. Don't sell her! An older super that's a little used may be a candidate for restoration, and it will be ready for another hundred years of fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:19 pm 
Utility Grade

I am sure it would be a easy restoration, and I would love to see the gun looking new, but I have heard a lot of stories behind this gun and all about all the rabbits an birds it has taken, and how every bump and character mark was put on this gun. I dont know if I want to take that all away, or hurt the value of the gun. Does a restoration usually hurt the value?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not if it actually needs a restoration. The only place to have it done is Art's Gun Shop. Art is the only man to see for a Superposed restoration. Don't expect to get back as much as you'll spend on a field model, but the value is in having an old gun made back into something that looks and functions exactly as it would have back in the early 1930's when it was new.

An early Superposed cost about a hundred dollars during the Great Depression, when grown men worked for a dollar a day and were glad to find the work. Brand new Ford and Chevrolet cars only cost about $500 then. Any Superposed made before the salt wood era is a truly fine shotgun, one of the world's very best at any price, and even the later models are still great shotguns, but really not as great as the earlier guns.

Have you ever tried shooting both barrels by pulling either trigger twice? A lot of the early Supers had what was called a Twin Single trigger that would fire both barrels by pulling either trigger.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:01 am 
Utility Grade

yes, each trigger will fire both barrels if pulled twice.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:35 am 
Diamond Grade

sman wrote:
I am sure it would be a easy restoration, and I would love to see the gun looking new, but I have heard a lot of stories behind this gun and all about all the rabbits an birds it has taken, and how every bump and character mark was put on this gun. I dont know if I want to take that all away, or hurt the value of the gun. Does a restoration usually hurt the value?

A well done restoration by a well known restoration firm -- like Art's -- will increase the value of the gun, but still, your total cost -- purchase price, restoration price, shipping, et al -- will probably be greater than the retail value.

So, it becomes a personal matter. IMHO, given that you have heard the stories behind the gun -- and if it's mechanically sound -- I'd be inclined to let it be.

But why don't you post some pictures of the gun? That will give us more to talk about :D

Enjoy!
Dave

http://www.thesunontheweb.com
http://www.thegunowner.com

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

While Art's will do a fine job, I'd check out MGW too. They have done five superposed restorations for me and their work is suberb, rust blue to die for and wood refinishing that is impeccible. They also are a sponsor of these forms. FWIW, GJ.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:11 am 
Utility Grade

Any idea what a full restoration would cost, and what the value of this gun would be afterwards?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can get a price list from MGW's website, probably Art's the same way. As far as value after restoration, my gut feeling it would be in the $1500.00-1800.00 range. That's just my opinion, so take it with a bit of salt. As SuperXone stated a new gun from the custom shop is going to cost you megabucks. So if you have it restored it is essentially a new gun at a greatly reduced price and you will love it and use it. The "Superposed" design was way over engineered by JMB and can literally take a 100,000 shots without a blink. If something comes up parts are available so no problem there either. So you get a beautiful rust blued and hand checkered french walnut gun that's a piece of history. Pretty good deal if you ask me. GJ

Post subject: Browning superposed
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

[/quote]

Have you ever tried shooting both barrels by pulling either trigger twice? A lot of the early Supers had what was called a Twin Single trigger that would fire both barrels by pulling either trigger.[/quote]

Right on - it is called a twin single
Great concept really -
It's a whole lot quicker to choose
A trigger for choke config. Than it
Is to switch a selector IMO

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

That twin single trigger bogels my mind! The engineering of that is amazing. Wish I had that on my Citori.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:27 pm 
Utility Grade

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:06 pm 
Utility Grade

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:34 am 
Field Grade

maybe this will work better... It would have been better if you hadn't only uploaded thumbnails to p-bucket.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:47 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks, I was having trouble with pics.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:46 pm