CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Franchi Brescia 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:38 pm 
Utility Grade

A buddy just gave me this gun for my girlfriend, but it's not cycling. It's a spring action gun like the A5 so I'm guessing it needs a good cleaning and possibly movement of the washers. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

Post subject: Re: Franchi Brescia 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:53 am 

Sounds like an AL48. Here's a link for the break down and cleaning. viewtopic.php?f=78&t=168902

Once clean place the gun in the heavy setting and try the gun. If it cycles leave it there. If not, set in in the light setting and try again.

The heavy setting has the thinner steel ring on top of the spring with the bevel pointing towards the front of the gun. Filp this ring around for the light setting. Make sure there is a very light amount of oil on the outside of the magazine tube. Use a good oil like CLP, FP-10, or Militec.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:06 am 
Crown Grade

There is a PDF owners manual out there for the 48 AL. I suggest you download and print it.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:24 pm 
Crown Grade

BADDUCK wrote:
There is a PDF owners manual out there for the 48 AL. I suggest you download and print it.

Here you go: Franchi 48 AL Manual.

Use the save feature to save it to your computer for future reference.

Frank

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:33 pm 
Crown Grade

THe manual is kind of a joke. Worcs cleaning link will cover it. You have a very reliable and great handling upland gun there. It is my go to gun.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Wow you guys are truly amazing. I will take a look at everything suggested and post my results. The magazine did seem to be a bit sticky and the washer's weren't sliding well, so that may be the problem.

Thanks so much!

Ron

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:20 pm 
Utility Grade

One trick you may try is pull the recoil spring off the magazine tube and stretch it a little.About the only thing i've seen that will keep one of these guns from working is a bad spring.They wear out after a while.If you stretch it and the gun works then you need a recoil spring.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:36 pm 
Crown Grade

If you got sticky gooey mag tube that will do it. I suspect it will be the same inside the action. Cheap oil gets gunked up after time. Use clenzoil when you reoil and that won't happen no matter how long it sits. I personally run just a VERY THIN film of clenzoil on the mag tube and rings, not for lube, just for rust protection. THe manaul says run mag tube dry and that can work too. I put plenty of lube where the barrel slides into the rails on the action. Couple drops on the rails. Whipe everything with oily rag before re assembly.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:31 am 
Utility Grade

Well, I haven't tested it yet, but the mag tube was gooey..........gave the gun a thorough cleaning, light oil and found that the governor ring was on the outside of the friction ring, which doesn't appear to be correct--reassembled with the governor ring on the inside of the friction ring with the flat side forward for light loads..............I'll let you know how it goes.

Ron

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:46 am 

With any Long Recoil operated model, always start it out in the heavy setting with a new load. If it cycles, leave it alone. If it does not, set it to the light setting and try again. This is a good rule to follow. I know your gun did not cycle before, but it sounds like it was dirty, so I would start over.

The manual (pdf) is good to have, but is lacking as stockranger pointed out. It does not talk about cleaning the magazine tube assembly (inside) or the bolt return spring assembly. Do not stretch any spring unless you plan to replace it shortly after.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Setting it to heavy load first is a good idea--thanks. I would think that stretching the spring would be a last resort...........

Ron