CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reconditioned Value of Collectable Superposed
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Does a collectable gun lose value if it has been reconditioned at the factory?

For example, take a Superposed Pigeon, Pointer, Diana, Midas or other engraved gun, signed by a master engraver. If the gun has been reconditioned by Art's Gun Shop (Browning's "factory" shop in the US)(Seller has receipt from Art's), does it lose value?

I have always heard that reconditioning a gun hurts its value, but maybe less if it is done by the factory. Please give me your opinions.

Thanks, guys.

CFB

Support this Forum! Become a Bonus Member . . . Click on the URL, below!
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118027

Last edited by crazyforbrownings on Fri May 18, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Reconditioned Value of Browning Superposed - Pointer Gra
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

It's now a piece of junk. Oh, and by the way where is it ... :s

Seriously, it's next to impossible to establish a value for something like this because of the lack of "comparables," to use the real estate term.

It's already a rarity because it's Pointer grade, then it's also reconditioned, which normally would hurt it. However, it's reconditioned by a well-recognized shop, but again, that makes the number of comparables even less. As a piece by a known artist, the number drops further.

So it becomes a pure seller/buyer thing ... That is, what is the seller willing to sell it for? And what are you willing to buy it for? If those numbers overlap, then it becomes a simple matter of negotiation.

Oh, and pictures would be great :D

Good luck!
Dave

http://www.thesunontheweb.com
http://www.thegunowner.com

Last edited by dbuffington on Sat May 19, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Reconditioned Value of Collectable Superposed
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

As a buyer I would not shy away from a reconditioned gun if it fit my specs but I would be looking for a price cut from the same model that is in original condition. other considerations would be who did the recondition and the look of the end result.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

A highly collectible shotgun will always lose value if it has been reconditioned. No question. A true collector has seen "original" condition guns many times and can spot any changes in things such as blueing color, the stain color of the wood, wood finish, changes in wear on the trigger, etc. I have many Superposed Brownings, and I would not intentionally buy one that has been reconditioned because they are very available in excellent original condition. Other shotguns that are not as available you may need to go the reconditioned route. Original always brings value if it's in very good condtion.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Id pay more for reconditioned in great shape than original in fair shape. So in my opinion a good recondition would add value, just not as much as if the gun was in excellent shape and all original.

From what I hear, arts is the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:56 pm 
Crown Grade

if you have documentation from the factory to substantiate the work done. Very typical to vintage Colt revolvers that are reconditioned...

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here in the states we have a fixation on NIB or original condition guns as the only ones worth having. All of the "Best" quality English guns go back to the shop after every season to be refurbished. It's no big deal to their owners. If an English "Best" gun is sold here in a used condition, many for +$100.000.00 you can bet that its been reconditioned at Hollands or Purdey at least once or more, probably more. If the gun meets the standard for me, whether NIB, original condition, or restored by a reputable firm like Art's or MGW, I have no problem fitting it into my collection. FWIW GJ.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Awesome advice from all of you. Lots of collective wisdom . . . SW Forums at its best!

Thanks for your time.

CFB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

I recently picked up a 1939 pigeon-grade Super with a pachmayr pad that lowered its value but not bad. 30-inch barrels.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

litauer:

That's a beautiful Pigeon Super. Congrats!

You might also consider posting those pics on the following thread called Pictures of Browning Superposed Guns at this URL http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=286714. You can also enjoy the pics of the other guns posted there!

Thanks for posting!

CFB