CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 gauge Coachgun
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:04 pm 
Utility Grade

What's everyones thoughts about using a 20 ga Coachgun for a home defence weapon. I know it's only two shots and you've got to reload but I'm looking for something for my wife other then my 870.

Post subject: Re: 20 gauge Coachgun
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

Any particular reasons behind looking at a 20ga coach over a 20ga pump like an 870?

Even if manipulating a pump gun well is harder than a break open with ejectors (which is debatable), she would have at minimum three times the shots in a tactically built 20ga before she would have to do anything other than rack the pump.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:51 pm 
igojuone wrote:
What's everyones thoughts about using a 20 ga Coachgun for a home defence weapon. I know it's only two shots and you've got to reload but I'm looking for something for my wife other then my 870.

There it is right there. If she needs three shots...well, it could be bad. I shot CAS with a double for quite a while and trust me, reloading fast is quite an artform that is not easily mastered. A 5+1 pump shoots 3 times longer without the need.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:42 pm 
Field Grade

The pump is always the answer but it depends on what you can hit with. I have a Stoeger Condor Outback O/U which is short, light and quick but as noticed it's only two taps and time to reload. That being said I can shoot that gun faster on target then any other weapon I own. I recently shot an old Stevens 20 gauge side by side and really liked it. I tried to get my friend to sell it to me but no dice. Go check out a bunch of guns, get one that fits then shoot the piss out of it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Ok I guess I answered my own question, I just happened to find the coach gun at a steal of a deal and it looks so cool, I'd hate to get rid of it but I'll never use it so out it goes and I'll find a pump action for her.

Thanks for telling like it is.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:15 am 
Quote:
Thanks for telling like it is.

You're welcome - from all of us. This is something I have always found refreshing about this forum. Most other places are filled with folks who go along to get along. I think many of the members of the Basement who've been here for any length of time consider giving accurate information to be very important. We may not agree on everything, but we all agree it is critical to be properly prepared when it comes to defending your life and the lives of your family members. Hang around, pull up a crate and have a cup of coffee.

Speaking of which...it's 5:15am here! I have no earthly idea why I'm not in bed, but a cup of coffee sounds good.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

What you said!

There's a huge cache of knowledge in the basement. Just about any add-on, modification or technique ever thought up has been put to the test by someone here.