CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Value Gun Safe?
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

I need to buy a larger gun safe. It will be a 36 or 48 gun capacity.
What I am interested in is what is the best value brand or brand/model. The best analogy I can think of would be what is the Beretta 3901 of gun safes? Your opinion is hereby solicited.

Post subject: Re: Best Value Gun Safe?
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Canon safes seem to me to be the largest for a given price. Try searching on-line for customer reviews. I personally have a Redhead made by Browning/Prosteel and am happy with it. The in-door storage of shotguns is a real plus but be careful - some models do not have a easy in and out retention system.

Support system for English Setters;
Molly and Emma

In dog beers - I've only had one.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

barrowsr wrote:
The in-door storage of shotguns is a real plus but be careful - some models do not have a easy in and out retention system.

What is an "easy in and out retention system"?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:39 pm 
Field Grade

I researched before I invested in a gun safe and I purchased Fort Knox because it is by far the BEST !!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm not looking for the BEST, I am looking for the best combination of price and value. Like a Beretta 3901 equivalent in a safe.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

cdbeagle wrote:
barrowsr wrote:
The in-door storage of shotguns is a real plus but be careful - some models do not have a easy in and out retention system.

Browning calls their in-door storage system DPX. It's really just a shelf along the inside bottom of the door and a plastic covered metal loop for each gun about 36" higher up. The quick access version replaces the metal loop with a set of flexible plastic fingers that retain each gun's barrel and eliminate the need to "thread" each guns muzzle up through the metal loop - and dinging the butt on the floor in the process. Their website has some pictures but not good ones of the two types of retention systems. http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... g=x#center

Support system for English Setters;
Molly and Emma

In dog beers - I've only had one.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

barrowsr wrote:
cdbeagle wrote:
barrowsr wrote:

Browning calls their in-door storage system DPX. It's really just a shelf along the inside bottom of the door and a plastic covered metal loop for each gun about 36" higher up. The quick access version replaces the metal loop with a set of flexible plastic fingers that retain each gun's barrel and eliminate the need to "thread" each guns muzzle up through the metal loop - and dinging the butt on the floor in the process. Their website has some pictures but not good ones of the two types of retention systems. http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... g=x#center

Got it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have two steel water safes and am very happy with them. most of their prices include delivery. Check out their website and various videos on YouTube and their website. My only complaint is that they are not big enough.

http://www.steelwatergunsafes.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks UnitMaster.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:47 pm 
Utility Grade

May want to have a look at this company.
http://www.sturdysafe.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

MauiHigh wrote:
May want to have a look at this company.
http://www.sturdysafe.com/

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I my opinion your should go and look at used safes because you can get really nice safes for alot cheaper than some of the new ones. Check out Diebold and others in that class. They are real safes and not ones with tin can thickness like most of the new ones they have now...check out the specs most new safes only have 10 gauge metal or less. The safes of old used to have 1/4" bodies and 3/8" doors or thicker....and they weighed 1200-1500lbs most of the new big safes only weigh around 800lbs if you are lucky.

I have a TL15 safe that has 1" body and 1 1/2" door that weighs 2,245lbs and its almost half the size of my Browning pro steel safe that I bought 20+ years ago. Bigger and heavy is the way to go. A nice big Diebold TL15 safe that is 72"+ tall and 30" wide and 28" deep is about 2700 lbs or more and nobody is going to walk away with that.

Good luck on your quest.

Signalman

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think it all depends on what you are trying to protect your guns from. To some people having a safe that is 500lbs lighter is a plus. Whether a safe is 900 or 1200 lbs at that point it is a two man job to steal.
If you have 2 to 3 guys physically removing your safe from your house; at that point no safe is immune to a torch in some thief's garage.
Sure there are some safes that are better than others, but for some of us, a less expensive (not cheap) safe is better than no safe. 1 hour of fire protection is better than none.

For me, I can get by with 2 $1200 safes instead of 2 $2500 safes, and spend the extra $2600 on more guns, and or an $150 annual insurance policy that covers my guns.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

UnitMaster wrote:
I think it all depends on what you are trying to protect your guns from. To some people having a safe that is 500lbs lighter is a plus. Whether a safe is 900 or 1200 lbs at that point it is a two man job to steal.
If you have 2 to 3 guys physically removing your safe from your house; at that point no safe is immune to a torch in some thief's garage.
Sure there are some safes that are better than others, but for some of us, a less expensive (not cheap) safe is better than no safe. 1 hour of fire protection is better than none.

For me, I can get by with 2 $1200 safes instead of 2 $2500 safes, and spend the extra $2600 on more guns, and or an $150 annual insurance policy that covers my guns.

I'm with you on this one.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I spent literally a couple years researching safes. Just like guns, the safes that cost under about $800 are not well made. The safes that are over $2K are super nice, but expensive.

I'm fortuante enough to have Liberty store close enough to me. This is what sold me:
This safe was attacked by thieves last Thanksgiving. It is estimated they worked on it for about 3 hours. There weren't able to get in and nothing was stolen. The thieves left a bunch of broken tools laying by the safe. Liberty replaced it for free.

That safe is a Centurion by Liberty. It is their lowest level model. One like that will cost around $900.

I don't think that Liberty is the only good safe out there, but it certainly is on the top of my list.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've heard good things about Libertys.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a Liberty Lincoln series. It's a good middle of the road unit.
A friend is a dealer and the price was right.
Lots of choices, you get what you pay for.
Bolt it down.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:28 am 
Limited Edition

Liberty safes are very good , I don't think you could go wrong with any of there lineup!

The only good crow is the one your about to shoot!

The only good squirrel is a dead squirrel!

Max-5 really!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:59 am 
Limited Edition

I rsaearched the same type of guidelines when I bought my safe. For the money, it was hard to find a better deal than the safes afford by Costco. They carry many popular brands and all prices include free delivery. Right now they have a 36-gun, Bighorn on sale for $400 off, delivered.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... InCategory

I bought a Bighorn and am very pleased with the quality. I know there is always bigger and better, but as the original poster asked, I think Bighorn is the Beretta 3901 of safes.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

+1 for the Costco safes. If I had to do it all over again, I would be looking at them very seriously.

You need to decide what you want your safe to protect; fire or burglary. For burglary, your basic 800-900 pound safe with locking bolts will deter most thieves if it's bolted to the floor.

For fire protection, all safes are UL rated for burn time. You determine how long you think it might take your fire department to get to your house and then get a safe that will last that long. I originally bought my safe when I lived in the country and I have something like a 70 or 90 minute burn time in 1500 degrees (typical house fire is about 1200). Now I live 2 miles from the fire-house, so I might choose something different.

Your tongue is loud in the village, but in battle it is still. -- James Fenimore Cooper