CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CZ Bobwhite
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:22 pm 
Field Grade

I've been eyeballing the Bobwhite for awhile now. I really like the english stock and double triggers...old school look. Question...is the receiver steel or aluminum?

Post subject: Re: CZ Bobwhite
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The receiver is steel, and they are a very nice little gun. I have one in 16 gauge (shot my best Sporting Clays score ever with it the first time I shot it) and have a 28 gauge on the way. Please take note that James Wayne Firearms is selling the Bobwhite 16, 20 and 28 gauge guns for $575 on GunInternational. Several of us have bought from them and they are a reliable seller. If you need a link let me know.

Happy shopping!

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

OMG has a whole new meaning. OBAMA MUST GO!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:27 am 
Presentation Grade

I bought a pair of them years back a 20 with 28" bbls. and a 28 with 26" bbls. The 20 yas seen a lot of use for ducks over decoys and some upland hunting plus pasture clays. Has always functioned flawlessly and is mty go to 20 for waterfowl. I liked the 28 but wished for longer barrels, so wound up giving it to my son, he'll probably loose it to his son this fall. I replaced it with a Huglu 201A with 30" bbls, fixed chokes IC&F. This one doesn't have the English grip but a POW grip, which is ok too. It is a boxlock with sideplates cased finish and extractors. Really like this gun, but can't find anyone else shooting one.

Am sure that you'll be happy with a Bobwhite.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:38 am 
Crown Grade

Popplecop,
I bought this gun while I was waiting for my DeHaan 28 ga to get built. It sounds similar to your gun, but 28" barrels instead of your 30 inchers. It had double triggers, so it went down the road when the DeHaan got here.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

Strange thing about 201As, there appears to be a number of versions of them. Have to get my son over to post pictures of mine. Mine has a color cased receiver with side plates, barrel clips and my stock has the squared off POW grip. It does have 30" barrels choked IC & F. Does have a splinter forend too. Mine was imported by T.R. Imports, Ft. Worth, Tx. and I got it about 3 yrs. ago, would have to look that up for sure. Nice crisp triggers shoots to poa and I like the way it's choked. I wish my buttstock had the rounded knob, for some reason I prefer that.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:30 pm 
Field Grade

on the Bobwhites are the first two numbers of the serial number the year the gun was manufactured?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:38 pm 
Field Grade

Yes........07Xxxxx = 2007 manufacture

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:25 am 
Limited Edition

Riflemeister wrote:
Popplecop,
I bought this gun while I was waiting for my DeHaan 28 ga to get built. It sounds similar to your gun, but 28" barrels instead of your 30 inchers. It had double triggers, so it went down the road when the DeHaan got here.

It was too bad the 28ga huglu wasn't your bag, but was sure happy you sent it up the road. Awfully plain compared to your dehaan but sure handles nice.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:32 am 
Presentation Grade

Had forgotten about serial no. telling age of manufacture, thanks. My Huglu 201A was made in 2010.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jon, popplecop....Good to see you both! It's been a while.

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:48 am 
Presentation Grade

one comment on the Bobwhite is that they differ in design from the 20ga to the 28ga. the larger gauges have a crossbolt lock up but the 28ga does not. each gauge is built on a scaled frame. while very similar because of the scaled frame each gauge has a slightly different feel.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

marquette wrote:
one comment on the Bobwhite is that they differ in design from the 20ga to the 28ga. the larger gauges have a crossbolt lock up but the 28ga does not. each gauge is built on a scaled frame. while very similar because of the scaled frame each gauge has a slightly different feel.

Quite right! I've hesitated about a CZ 28 gauge since we leaned that they still had the brazed firing pins rather than the crossbolt, but when I found one that was NIB for $575 I simply couldn't resist. I'm going to shoot it and not worry about it. Should it break a pin or two, CZ-USA will take care of it. Though I suspect the firing pins themselves have probably been upgraded from the earlier guns. IIRC I had heard that Mark DeHaan had at one point had some special made for him out of Titanium.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

Very good point. I plan to carry my 28 bobwhite a whole lot more than shoot it, since I view it a grouse gun; not really planning to shoot at a lot of clays with it. And you've got to think that they addressed the firing pin issues, even if the design stays the same.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

I ran quite a few thousand rounds through my Bobwhite, and heated it up on the skeet range at times running double sets of doubles, with absolutely no issues from any part of it.
Super solid and a very nice handling, light field gun. :D
Davide

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:03 pm 
Limited Edition

I have the POW Jon's Special 202 in a 20 and it is great! I feel like this gun is an extension when shooting it! I toted it about half the turkey season and you won't find an easier toting gun! Mine weighs 6.4 pounds with 2 3" mags in the chambers.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Jon's Uplands were a steal at the price he sold them for. I also bought one last year, it weighs slightly less than my Bobwhite. I haven't seen any on his GB sales listings lately; hope he can still get them. They did say the last batch were likely the last at that price, though.