CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: O/u barrels shooting different poi
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:05 pm 
Utility Grade

I just got a new K80. The bottom barrel is the one I patterned first and moved the comb to hit were I'm looking. Shot a round of trap and I'm satisfied with bottom barrel performance. I patterned the top barrel and on the board it seemed to hit the same. Shot a round of trap with different choke IM and never touched a target. Patterened again and top barrel is 8-12in low. My question is should I start over and get the top barrel shooting were I'm looking then work on the bottom since I can change the barrel hanger? Or is it choke? The gun is a pro sporter.

Post subject: Re: O/u barrels shooting different poi
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

A friend of mine that shoots a K80 pro sporter had similar issues, he had to use a #9 hanger. to get them to work right. I would call kreighoff and see what they say.

That's going to leave a mark!!

Post subject: O/u barrels shooting different poi
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Did you try patterning it again with the same chokes you had patterned it with originally?

Did you put IM chokes in both barrels and pattern it From the same distance?

If I read your post correctly I would expect exactly what happened to have happened.

Ccgunstocks.com

Follow the link from my website to "Like" us on Facebook.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do not pass Go.....call Ottsville. NOW.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Many trap shooters including me want the bottom barrel to place shot a half a pattern higher and the top barrel to shoot 60/40 to 70/30 for trap doubles. #6 hanger for my K-80 is perfect. Other shooters will want to be closer to equal POI on both barrels. The good thing is its a K-80 and anything is possible. Know what you want and then hang it.

Maltz

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Vt_archer wrote:
I just got a new K80. The bottom barrel is the one I patterned first and moved the comb to hit were I'm looking. Shot a round of trap and I'm satisfied with bottom barrel performance. I patterned the top barrel and on the board it seemed to hit the same. Shot a round of trap with different choke IM and never touched a target. Did you mean that literally? In other words, are you saying you totally missed 25 targets in a row? Patterened again and top barrel is 8-12in low. What do you mean here? 8 to 12 inches lower than the other barrel's POI? Or, do you mean the top barrel's POI is actually lower than a 50/50 POI? My question is should I start over and get the top barrel shooting were I'm looking then work on the bottom since I can change the barrel hanger? Or is it choke? The gun is a pro sporter.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jeff....I can't think anything other than the patterning procedure was in reverse. Set the wanted POI of the top barrel by comb and know that the bottom barrel shoots higher. Settings that I and many others would like for doubles, but again.... not for everyone. The OP can change hangers to drop the POI of the bottom barrel to preference. Its the only barrel that can be changed after POI is set to the fixed top barrel. The top barrel is either fixed rib on a conventional K-80 or carries an adjustable rib on the Special. In both cases its the top barrel that needs to be set by gun adjustments (comb and or adjustable rib) and the bottom barrel can be set to relate to the top barrel as in preferences.

Maltz

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:32 am 
Tournament Grade

maltzahn wrote:
Jeff....I can't think anything other than the patterning procedure was in reverse. Set the wanted POI of the top barrel by comb and know that the bottom barrel shoots higher. Settings that I and many others would like for doubles, but again.... not for everyone. The OP can change hangers to drop the POI of the bottom barrel to preference. Its the only barrel that can be changed after POI is set to the fixed top barrel. The top barrel is either fixed rib on a conventional K-80 or carries an adjustable rib on the Special. In both cases its the top barrel that needs to be set by gun adjustments (comb and or adjustable rib) and the bottom barrel can be set to relate to the top barrel as in preferences.

Maltz

All true statements Maltz, but here are the reasons I asked the Original Poster (Vt_archer) my questions:

1. Vt_archer said the top barrel is shooting 8 to 12 inches low. :shock: As I asked him, is he saying the top barrel is shooting significantly lower than a 50/50 POI? That's what it sounds like. Is there any possible way to make a K-80 (or any other gun) shoot to such an absurdly low POI, other than a) something is seriously wrong with the gun or that specific choke tube, or b) something is seriously flawed with his technique at the pattern board?

2. He indicated that he shot a full round of trap (presumably 25 targets at 16 yards) and never hit a single target. Even if the top barrel's POI is a little low, you'd think he would have stumbled into chipping at least a couple of them. All of which leads me to believe that the sequence in which Vt_archer is setting his POI is not the major problem he is facing. We need more details from Vt_archer to figure out what's going on. Major gun defect? Flinched at the pattern board, and it's playing mind games with him? Is he an inexperienced shooter (especially at Trap, since his K-80 is a sporter model)? Something else?

- Jeff

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jeff....guess I didn't read it the same as you. Just knew that the same thing would happen to me if I set the bottom barrel POI for singles (need - 100% high) and then tried to shoot targets with the top barrel. Bottom barrel would place shot 15 inches high, top barrel would be at 6 inches high (target distance). 13 yard bench patterning.... bottom barrel would be at 5 inches high / top barrel would be 2 inches high. Common barrel setting from the factory on trap conventionals, usual suspect is #6 hanger.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Warm or cold barrels? It can make a difference!