CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: King Ferry
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:36 am 
Diamond Grade

With three Ithaca forums, it's tough to know where a person will get the most bang for the buck on a person's post.

Well I just bought a sweet King Ferry 16ga vent rib with AAA wood. I also bought a second Kings Ferry made high rib Trap barrel with it. A barrel I have never seen before. It has a stepped double stacked rib. I had to have it. The gun was special ordered with three barrels. I took two for now, I may get the 3rd barrel at a later date. The gun is 99% and the fit and finish is second to none.

By the way, mine is a 37 Ithaca made by Ithaca gun company LLC. They would be the last owners during the King Ferry production I believe. I have read a few posts of people knocking the King Ferry produced guns.

The recoil pad says Ithaca gun company, Ithaca New York. Obviously old stock used on the new gun IMO.

Seems the Ohio built guns had their issues, was it due to using King Ferry parts or what? Mine seems to function flawlessly just as my older Ithaca's have and do. According to Randy, the King Ferry guns were junk but I find few others who claim to have trouble with their King Ferry made guns.

viewtopic.php?f=136&t=235839

Post subject: Re: King Ferry
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:26 am 
Diamond Grade

I have 3 or 4 King Ferry guns. All good. I don't know who Randy is but he is incorrect on this issue. I think they want to sell Ohio guns. Don't blame them but flaming the predecessor's guns is, in my opinion, not the best way to go about it. There was about 20 years of production of King Ferry made guns.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

ithacanut wrote:
I have 3 or 4 King Ferry guns. All good. I don't know who Randy is but he is incorrect on this issue. I think they want to sell Ohio guns. Don't blame them but flaming the predecessor's guns is, in my opinion, not the best way to go about it. There was about 20 years of production of King Ferry made guns.

You can read his review here

viewtopic.php?f=136&t=217445

"Anyway, Ithaca is currently taking orders for M37 16 gauges, scheduled to start shipping in the next week or so. The slow-down was due to 1) issues with the stockmaker and 2) magazine tubes that did not meet Ithaca's specifications. Owner Dave Dlubak told me he thought a few Ithaca folks were going to cry when he told them to round up all the King Ferry components, receivers, barrels, etc., and-------- all of it went into the dumpster. That is part of Dave's philosophy: just one headache from old parts is too many and no way is he inclined to accept responsibility for other people's problems. "

"I bought a King Ferry M37 16 gauge when they were first released right from the factory. It had proud wood, a trigger break that was heavier than the entire gun, and fed shells from the magazine onto the ground, not into the chamber. I'm glad those days are over."

That's not my King Ferry produced gun. Mine is like a Swiss Watch, one of the nicest 37's I have ever seen or handled.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

I think he made a sweeping generalization that was a disservice to the King Ferry experience. The early Ohio made guns, especially the early 28 gauges had their set of similar sounding problems. There is a learning curve to building the M-37 and it takes a while to get it working especially with new people in a new factory. Randy may have gotten a bad one. The last days of King Ferry were, as I understand it, chaotic as final bankruptcy was a knocking. Anything could and probably did happen. Remember, the first 10 years of King Ferry were under the Niell family as Ithaca Acquistions, Ithaca Gun Co. LLC was from 1997 'till the end. Remember also there was a company between the LLC and the current company. The Marshall's bought the company at the bankruptcy sale and made guns for a year or so before they went out of business and the current company was founded.
I own one Ohio gun, 4 King Ferry guns and a bunch of the Ithaca made guns. No junk here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:17 am 
Tournament Grade

I have to agree with Walt on the King Ferry 37s. I own 3 and they all work flawlessly and they look as good as any model 37 I have ever seen. I would not hessitate to buy another if a deal came along. They function as well as my older Ithaca 37s! marvin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:27 pm 
Utility Grade

I have had four 12 ga King Ferry guns, and they were every bit as good as any Ithaca NY gun. The first KF gun I bough was rough in the finish, but it was sold that way as a mat finished gun. I bought it new and it was as smooth working as any others. I also have a DS II and a DS I that is a takedown that I also use as a bird gun and have both low and Montecarlo stock for that frame. I have an ultra 87 12 ga with 22 inch choke tubed barrel. I also have a rifled 20 inch barrel that I use on that gun. The ultra and the first one had beautiful triggers from day one, the other two needed to be done by a gunsmith. I still have all but the first one, it was stolen. They are every bit as good as my 2-3/4 12, my 16 and my 20 which are all Ithaca NY guns. Only the DS II has the stock it came with, the 1970 era stocks fit me perfectly and the King Ferry stocks don't fit me at all, so I just don't use them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:04 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Jiganator wrote:
According to Randy, the King Ferry guns were junk but I find few others who claim to have trouble with their King Ferry made guns.

Looks like I'm being misquoted. The entire thread being referred to is here: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=217445

No, I've never stated that all King Ferry guns were junk, or even that the majority of them were. The new King Ferry M37 16 gauge that I bought direct from the factory was poorly done, to make an understatement.

I can say, that towards the end their quality was erratic, essentially parts guns, and some of the work was done by employees in their garages at home, etc. That's why a couple of prospective buyers passed on Ithaca, as there wasn't much of tangible value to buy at the end of it.

Further, the hodge-podge of parts left over / inherited from King Ferry was a problematic mixture, sufficiently problematic in the view of current owner of Ithaca that the decision was made to scrap them, rather than deal with various and sundry unknown variables down the road.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:46 am 
Diamond Grade

You can have them. The the two barrel set I bought new about twenty years ago was horrendous. The slug barrel didn't fit right and the gun would not eject 3" empties. This sucked if one wanted to use it against Turkeys or for Wildfowling. Thankfully I got full refund from wonderful gun shop called Pistol Parlor in Rensselear NY.

The new 28ga guns had some issues. If I recall correctly two out of three sample guns they sent to Bruce Buck? of SSM did not work correctly. I'm happy to say my second-hand 20ga gun is performing flawlessly. The mechanism even functions with those inexpensive hollow black plastic snap-caps that have yellow primers. Not all pump repeaters will cycle those.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

I own a Kings Ferry M37 16ga that I bought new in 2001.The only problem I have had with the gun is with Fiocchi shells. The Kings Ferry M37 20ga Deer Slayer that I bought new in 2005 had a problem with dumping shells.
Some day I would like to buy a new Ohio made M37 16ga or 28ga.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:01 am 
Utility Grade

The "shell dumping" is just a minor problem with the fork being spread a little wide or the shell catch sticking, probably as the result of either powder residue or a bit of rust sticking it up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:23 am 
Crown Grade

I have owned 2 King Ferry 37s, and both were made near the end of King Ferry's run. They looked great. See at least I started with something nice to say about them.

I bought both of them new unfired. Both had horribly heavy gorilla trigger pulls out of the box. One of them turned out to be a "single shot" until after I had it repaired. I have since sold both of them.

No day will ever pass without my thinking of Paige (my old girl, a Brittany) fondly, and wishing I could have her back. But I do know she would approve of my bringing another pup into our dog loving home.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:10 am 
Diamond Grade

The King Ferry made clunker two-barrel set I had to return was actually Model 87 if my memory is serving me right. Since large number were made I'm sure there are plenty of reliable ones out there.

Last King Ferry made gun I looked over was very little used 20ga Deerslayer (later production gun marked model 37) with 24 or 25" rifled bore barrel camo stock and matching camo scope by Traditions (proly made by Nikon). It started with price of $459 lingered on rack for quite long time last tag price was $379 or $389 when it finally disappeared. That is strange because 20ga guns do not usually last long in used racks.