CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta silver pigeon 1 vs cynergy vs citori
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:36 pm 
Field Grade

I am wanting a 20ga o/u. Mainly for dove/quail but might shoot some clays too. Anyone have experience with all 3?

Post subject: Re: Beretta silver pigeon 1 vs cynergy vs citori
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't own any Beretta shotguns...so I can't help you with that...but I do have two Browning 20g O/U shotguns...one is a Cynergy Field model 28" barrels and the other is an XS Skeet with 30"ers...two different designs for two different sports. Both my Brownings are great in there own way. If I can answer any questions you have about the two that I have please ask.

Signalman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:18 am 
Crown Grade

Cynergy, Citori or Silver Pigeon. Couldn't ask for three sweeter 20's. I shoot two 20 gauge Citoris, just my personal preference. Wouldn't trade 'em for anything. I'd love to try the 20 gauge SP1...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:30 am 
Crown Grade

I don't own all three, because I wouldn't want to. I do own one of them (similar finishes not exact same models but same guns).

But...

The Citori in 20 has a receiver height like a Beretta or Cynergy in 12. Put a 30" barrel set on it and you have a dove/Skeet gun.

The Cynergy and Beretta both point much like a side-by-side, and shoot circles around a Citori on fast flushing birds like quail. The Beretta is a good deal lighter. If you have difficulty shooting "game gun" weight shotguns, you might prefer the Cynergy (after a trigger job). I have a couple of 20 Gauge Beretta O/Us and I haven't been tempted to buy anything Browning makes in 20 Gauge, for the field, though I've tried them.

Of the three, I'd get a 28" SP I for dove/quail use. Note that dove and quail are very different, and to have an absolutely IDEAL gun for both, you would probably get two guns. For me, the 28" Beretta is a good crossover gun. Don't get a 26" subgauge for doves!

Last edited by BarryD on Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My favorite Browning (among 10 I've owned) was a 20g Citori.....one of about 3 guns I wish I had NOT sold or traded.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BarryD is correct in his comments. My choice would come down to the Cynergy or the Berettta because of the ergonomics of the guns, but you may prefer the Citori as many do. In the end, pick the you that you feel most comfortable with. If you get the Cynergy, be prepared to have the trigger worked over. They are notoriously bad in being creepy and heavy. All three are quality guns with solid reputations for reliability.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My favorite 20 ga. stackbarrel is a SKB w/28" tubes. Hunting game birds in central New Mexico is the pitts due to the drive distance and drought the past several years. No longer in production there are however new SKB's out there, something you might consider as there is life other than Browning & Beretta.

TM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:24 pm 
Crown Grade

You won't get any argument from me there, Tin Man. In the price range, it'd be "Beretta or SKB?" in my book. Browning wouldn't really be in there. The Cynergy Classic has acceptable appearance, but it's overpriced. I try not to look at the original Cynergy, for fear of turning to a pillar of salt. Looks like the b@$t@rd child of a drunken hookup between a Benelli duck gun and an old Mannlicher. :?

SKB 20s with screw-in chokes tend to be heavier than Berettas, but with similar geometry. Whether that's good or bad depends on the person and the application. The old Ithaca SKB fixed barrel 20s were wonderful, and can be found for pretty cheap -- if you can find a 28" at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with Barry that the Beretta would be my first choice. I have an SPII in 28/410 and a 686 in 20 gauge plus a 16 Gauge Gran Lightning. The slender, light Berettas are a joy to carry and shoot while the Citori is heavy for a 16 ga and places my left hand quite a bit below the bore line. I don’t own a Cynergy so I can’t address it other than to say I can’t get past the appearance. IMO the last really good looking Browning made was the FN bolt action rifle in Safari or higher grade. But I digress. All three of your choices are solid guns so pick the one that fits you best if at all possible. My first choice would be a 20 Ga Beretta with 30 inch barrels but 28 would suffice.

Support system for English Setters;
Molly and Emma

In dog beers - I've only had one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

barrowsr wrote:
...My first choice would be a 20 Ga Beretta with 30 inch barrels but 28 would suffice.

I just bought this gun and am in love with it, and it seems to fit well, and is a dream to shoot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

They're all good. Find one that fits and feels good.

Don't fret too much about gun weight with these guns. Browning's run heavier than the Beretta's but shouldn't cause you dehydrate and collapse due to sun stroke.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:21 am 
Crown Grade

seb7515, you missed the point completely WRT gun weight and why it might influence someone's choice one way or another.

Some people will say they have a hard time shooting a light gun. OTOH with some fast flushing ground birds, you won't hit too many with a heavier one. Weight, balance and length matter. So does geometry, which is why the subgauge side-by-side still has a strong following among the hardcore bird hunting cult -- and the O/Us that try best to mimic its pointing ability, like the Beretta, Cynergy and SKB, make better quail guns than Citoris.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:02 am 
Crown Grade

BarryD wrote:
OTOH with some fast flushing ground birds, you won't hit too many with a heavier one.

We're not talking about 32" K-80s here. I suspect very few shooters can actually hit anything faster with a sub 6 pound gun than with something around 7 pounds. If they could, International skeet shooters would be shooting them.

That said, for an upland birdgun, that is carried a lot and shot a little, I like a lighter gun. Of the OP's 3 choices, I'd get a SP I 20ga with 30" barrels, just like ITO's.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:50 am 
Crown Grade

I essentially own all 3 - a Citori Field (28 ga., 28" bbls.), a Cynergy Classic Field (28 ga., 28" bbls.) and a Beretta 686 Black Onyx (20 ga., 28" bbls.). I LOVE all 3 guns, and enjoy them. They work great at sporting clays, and my scores are the equal of my 12 bores.

Unfortunately, I can't hunt doves and quail where I am located, but the Beretta and Citori are fine for grouse, woodcock and pheasants. I recently acquired the Cynergy, and haven't used it in the field ..... yet.

IF I were to have a requirement for another Beretta today, it would probably be for a 28 ga. gun with 30" barrels. Still a light fast-handling shotgun, and the extra inertia of the 2" longer barrels should make it swing very smoothly.

The Beretta is a joy to carry in the field, due to its lighter weight, and is fast to get in action. I recently got the Cynergy, and from a weight viewpoint, it's slightly heavier than the Beretta. Either gun should be fine for quail hunting, which I have done in the past.

The Citori, due to its heavier weight (due in part to the higher receiver), is a better gun for target shooting and dove hunting where you are not as concerned about carrying a gun all day. The few extra ounces help to smooth out your swing, and follow through.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:11 am 
Crown Grade

it comes down to personal choice. And I challenge you to find a better 20 gauge than this one!!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-V3Wi ... 0328-1.JPG

and yes, they're 30" non-ported barrels... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:17 am 
Crown Grade

oops, forgot! My 28" 20 gauge Weatherby/SKB Orion Classic III. Better than any SP or Cynergy, but not my 30" White Lightning. Speaking from experience and ownership, Mr. Barry... ;)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-a7bg ... 0006-1.JPG

or, how about my 28" 20 gauge Milano (FAIR)... :)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eAB5 ... C_0039.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:57 am 
Tournament Grade

Nice looking shotguns there Slugo. Too everyone else a Question; How light do you a want to get it a O/U in a sub gauge. My Cynergy Field 20g with 28" barrels only weights 6lbs 4oz and is a dream to carry...any lighter than that I would think recoil comes into play. Hell I got a single shot CZ Cottontail 20g 28" that is 5lbs 3oz and nobody shoots it more than once. Besides that how much are we talking...2-4oz difference between them and any of those three in 20g is a dream to carry over a 12g.

For me it's the look, balance and feel of the shotgun that makes all the difference in the world... not to throw any rocks at any other "B" gun but Brownings have really nice wood on them...and the only difference between the Classic Cynergy and the Field models were the stock with the Inflex recoil pad which is great for my daughters who need a little help in the recoil department. For you guys who like solid plastic or little to none for a recoil pad: go for what you like.

Just one guy's opinion.

Signalman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:29 am 
Limited Edition

30" White Lightning; +1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:54 am 
Presentation Grade

Scott:

I just went through the same process- but my list was grouse/woodcock/pheasant and clays and I wanted 30" barrels. I ruled out the 20 g. Citori quickly because though they are nicely made they felt awkward to me.

I tried the Fausti Class too, but was neutral on it despite nice appearance. It really came down to the Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 and the Browning Cynergy Satin Dove.

Despite being a "Beretta guy" to put it mildly I went with the Cynergy. The Cynergy really just works for me better than Beretta o/u's for reasons I can't fully pin down. I do find the safety easier to disengage than 686 guns but beyond that the Cynergy profile is just a bit nicer than a 686 to me. Mine has an excellent trigger and has been really, really fun on clays and skeet. It is winning people over at my club- including Browning guys that didn't think they liked Cynergies. I think it is going to be great in the field and am already counting down the days to September 15th. On top of the new Cynergy we have a new vizsla puppy at home so essentially I daydream about upland hunting all day.

Good luck!

Brent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:38 am 
Diamond Grade

BarryD wrote:
seb7515, you missed the point completely WRT gun weight and why it might influence someone's choice one way or another.

Some people will say they have a hard time shooting a light gun. OTOH with some fast flushing ground birds, you won't hit too many with a heavier one. Weight, balance and length matter. So does geometry, which is why the subgauge side-by-side still has a strong following among the hardcore bird hunting cult -- and the O/Us that try best to mimic its pointing ability, like the Beretta, Cynergy and SKB, make better quail guns than Citoris.

Didn't miss a thing you wrote, BarryD. I disagree with you line of thought as you're rather myopic when giving advice for choosing a gun. I've shot all the brand names you've mentioned and a few that didn't make your list. The differences between the lighter and the heavier field guns is negligible on how they handled as a whole. Frame height makes no difference. Number of barrels and barrel orientation makes no difference. What makes a difference is can you hit what you're shooting at. That's why I wrote: 'They're all good. Find one that fits and feels good.' If a 6lb 10oz Citori has radar why would I use shoot a lighter, slimmer shotgun?