CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H&R Pardner Pump 20 Gauge Questions
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:08 pm 
Utility Grade

I am about to purchase a H&R Pardner Pump 20 gauge and was wondering if anyone has had any negative issues with this gun?
I am going to buy the 21" barrel, but would like to eventually put a shorter barrel 18.5" on it. The primary purpose of this shotgun would be home defense, but I figure with a 21" barrel I might be able to get some hunting in with it as well. With the secondary purpose, would I be better off buying the 26" version?
I also have read that there are some issues with swaping out the barrels on these, if anyone could fill me in on those it would be much appreciated (ie. what brand barrel, etc.). I hear they are interchangable with Remington 570, but would like that confirmed. Any other information you have would be helpful.
Thanks, Tom

Post subject: Re: H&R Pardner Pump 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think the issue is that the can't use Remington 870 barrels (the shotgun design they copy) because they have a 5 round standard tube, and 870s have 4 round tubes. Remington has a model of tactical 870 out now with a 5 round tube, that barrel *might* fit it.

IIRC they can use Norinco Hawk barrels (another 5 shot copy of the 870).

As for negative issues, everyone I've talked to has been very pleased with the Pardner for the price. Same goes for the Norinco Hawk.

Post subject: Re: H&R Pardner Pump 20 Gauge Questions
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:06 pm 
I don't know where I saw them (doesn't help much) but someone is making a spacer, or maybe just has plans for making one, that allows 870 barrels to be used. However I think they were for 12 gauge versions. Pretty simple to make in any event.

I have a Pardner and a Hawk 982. The Hawk is more gun for the same money as it has a great set of GRS sights on it - if you like those. Mine are both 18.5" 12 gauge HD versions though. Dollar for dollar they are probably the best value on the market right now for what they are. The Hawk is actually a bit nicer than the 870 Express. An 870 Express with the GRS sights is quite a bit more money. Not a Wingmaster, but perfectly usable for HD.

Post subject: Re: H&R Pardner Pump 20 Gauge Questions
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Just an update; I purchased a Maverick model 88 today. I was going with the Pardner Pump, but a few issues I read about concerning parts made me go with something made closer to home.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:28 pm 
Field Grade

Carbonstorm wrote:
I think the issue is that the can't use Remington 870 barrels (the shotgun design they copy) because they have a 5 round standard tube, and 870s have 4 round tubes. Remington has a model of tactical 870 out now with a 5 round tube, that barrel *might* fit it.

You sure can use 870 barrels with the Pardner, you just have to make a spacer.

How to make the spacer -
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=79948

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

WIshotgunHunter wrote:
You sure can use 870 barrels with the Pardner, you just have to make a spacer.

How to make the spacer -
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=79948

Sweet!