CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Women's/Youth Auto Shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:18 pm 
Utility Grade

First I want to say I'm glad that I found this site and foresee it being very useful.

My girlfriend went duck hunting with me this past winter and has recently expressed a desire to learn how to shoot. I've taken her to shoot rifles, AR's, and shotguns a few time. She said she really wants to be able to go next year and shoot a duck, so she's fully committed to learning how.

I have a Beretta 3901 20 gauge with a 28" barrel. She's tried shooting this and its just too big for her to shoot (too long, too thick of a forearm, too long of length of pull, and just too heavy for here to really get into the fun and make a good shot). I want to get her an automatic simply because I feel like a pump or O/U would kick her too much and scare her away from it. I've been looking online and at stores and have exactly found what I would want to get her. I love the Berettas and Benellis but I just don't have the money to spend on one, especially if its just going to be her gun and won't get shot a ton. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should get. I'm not opposed to buying a used gun. I would like to keep it under $500 or $600 if at all possible. I want something light that she won't have a hard time swinging. Also I'd like to have a wood stock (just for looks purposes). I am going to post something in the classified section as well. Again any recommendations or reviews of something will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Austin Ross

Post subject: Re: Women's/Youth Auto Shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:24 pm 
Utility Grade

I am also open to getting a regular 20 gauge and cutting the stock down to fit her.

Austin Ross

Post subject: Women's/Youth Auto Shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:43 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Best advice first: let her choose the gun. Because what you like may not fit her.

2nd part of advice: be prepared to spend a good chunk of dough to get it to be just right gun fit for her, so as to not kick her silly.

3rd part: when you make the investment to fit the gun to her and it is one she picked, you will gain a lifetime partner to shoot with. Enjoy that part. Make sure that is what you want, that she is the one you want to spend that time with, and not the flavor of the week.

After reviewing these, if you're still interested, start with going to the gun stores, let her heft as many guns as she can, to include 12 ga and makes, o/u and semi auto. Go to ranges and shoot those models if you can. Let her shoot, with an instructor who can help recommend and get her started the right way.

You may be surprised at what she picks versus what you want to buy and spend. Don't conform her to your expectations, let her blossom along the way herself and you will be well rewarded.

Ymmv, I know this is how I got mine to shoot. I made the same errors you're about to. So save some experience, sir!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Austin - Suggestion: read my thread in "Women Shotgun Shooters" farther down on the list of forums titled, "Why guns fit and do not fit women." It will give you an idea of what a lot of women face when looking for a gun that is right for them.

I have the impression that your girlfriend is not too much taller than five feet. If that is true, she would be better fitted with a 3901 RL (reduced length). She may also be better off with a 26" rather than a 28" barrel to reduce forward weight.

A gas operated semi-auto is the type of gun to look for due to their reduced felt recoil. A 20-gauge gun will be lighter weight but for that reason, will recoil more than a heavier gun, shooting the same shells.

Another thought might be a Remington 1100 with a http://www.fitaski.com stock. It would come very close to fitting your girlfriend since some of their stocks are designed for smaller shooters. The stock coupled with a used 1100 field gun might make close to the ideal combination. The combination would also be close to your monetary figure.

How tall is your girlfriend?

If you have questions, feel free to email me at rollin@stocklfitting.com or call me at (920) 524-2023 (Wisconsin).

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've heard many good things about the CZ720 which comes in a youth model.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Remington 1100 or Beretta auto. My wife absolutely loves the Berettta A400. It is very soft shooting

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:39 am 
Field Grade

Remington 1100 is a great gun. The Weatherby SA-08 is another option that I have heard good things about.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:29 am 
Presentation Grade

I have two suggestions. Buy a CZ 720 with a 26" barrel and then purchase a youth stock from CZ. The youth stock was used and cost $75.00 shipped. This is the shotgun my 22 yr old daughter shoots. Suggestion two: This will stretch your budget by $100.00 and I understand that might not be possible. If I remember correctly most women need a higher comb than men. I am sure there are others I am not aware of but the SX3 20 gauge has the highest comb of any field semi I have seen. You can buy a SX3 Compact Walnut Field 20 gauge from One Click Shooting right now for $739.00 shipped. It has a youth/ladies stock with a 13" LOP. It also comes with drop and cast shims and two LOP spacers. I just bought one and ordered three more spacers from Winchester which they sent for free. I now have a very nice shotgun with a LOP adjustable from 13" to 14.25". For my daughter I use the gun with no spacers and add the shim that raises the comb and gives cast-off. When I want to use it I install the shim that lowers the comb, gives cast-off and then install four spacers for a LOP of 14". I shoot it great and so does she. The recoil pad screws are too short if you add more than two spacers, but you can purchase the exact screw, only longer, from Lowes that work great if you need more than two spacers.

The SX3 is also one of the softest recoiling shot guns there is today. If the SX3 is out of your price range the get a CZ 720. You cannot go wrong with either one but the SX3 is more versatile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:06 am 
Crown Grade

I'm not a Mossberg fan, but their semi-autos (model 930?) get high marks by most owners and reviewers.

There's a lot if good advice above (Beretta and 1100 autos) but I'd also add the Browning Gold in 20 gauge and the Browning Silver and Winchester SX2 and SX3.

I see lots if nice Browning Golds for around $600 lightly used, and they are screaming good guns for the money. Plus they have some of the best wood on most production semi's, along with the 1100's.

Last edited by VTHokiesDuckHunter on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:40 am 
Presentation Grade

I had the same issue about 27 years ago. :shock: There were not that many options back then but we chose the Remington 1100 Youth model which was a 20 gauge, 2 3/4" fixed choke (IC), 21" barrel and 1" shorter than standard stock. We had the oportunity to let her shoot one first and she's never regretted the choice. :D

These guns are still around on used racks, though probably not easily found. They have wooden handles and even Remington factory wood is more appealing to me than plastic. :x Others make good cases but I'd give the 1100 youth a chance if you can find one. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:07 am 
Presentation Grade

when you mention the size of the forearm and weight i would look at the Franchi guns. although not as readily found on the used racks their stocks and forearms are usually thinner than most other semi autos. they are a light gun in 20ga. usually around 6lbs. i picked up a 620 used at Cabelas for $400 and a used youth stock from a member here on SGW to set up as a youth/womens gun this last winter. it weighs less than a Rem 1100 LT and general feeling is that with the same target loads has less recoil. but recoil is always subjective. the CZ with the ALS stock may also be one to consider because of it's easy adjustment and $500 price tag.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Winchester SX 3 20 ga Compact

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a Franchi 720. It is thinner and of my five 20 gauges it is my second favorite. The SX3 is my favorite. It won't matter what you buy her if it doesn't fit. I have a 930 b/c it fits. I have a Weatherby b/c it fits. I had a 3901 which is a great shotgun and by the majority of opinions is much higher quality than a 930. It did not fit though which is why I got rid of it and bought a 930.