CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3901 or A300 Outlander?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:05 pm 
Utility Grade

I am competent with a handgun but I am new to sport of shotguns. So new that I had not shot one until the day before I went on a company sponsored Skeet shoot. We were hand throwing clays which gave me a pretty good idea. After getting past the nerves in the practice rounds I ended up second during practice and best out of our group on the actual tournament. I must say that now I am hooked. I was using a freind's well worn 11-87. Thanks to the guys on our teams I was fortunate enough to be able to shoot many different types of o/u, pump and semi's. Thanks to the experiences I had from shooting those I decided that the semi-automatic is what I prefered. Learning from previous experiences, I would like to buy from a reputable manufacturer so that I may be able to get parts/service years later without having to interchange brands or mix and match parts due to the company going out of business,.etc.etc.

With that being said I have come to a crossroad. I would like to tap the wealth of knowledge from this site and get some opinions.

Should I buy a 3901 (which I am being told is being phased out) or wait for the new A300 to hit the shelves?

Post subject: Re: 3901 or A300 Outlander?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Some people prefer the feel of the 390/3901 over the feel of the 391 (newer design), but most prefer the 391. I have never had a chance to handle an A300 Outlander, but from what I have heard from our friends in the UK, the Outlander probably feels much more like the 391, maybe even better. It is lighter, slimmer and more graceful than the 3901.

I would wait another month or two and get the Outlander. In fact, I have a standing order for one with my local gun shop.

BTW, thank you for calling it the "A300 Outlander" and not just the A300. I am conducting a campaign to stamp out the tendency to use the number only, because there was a Beretta A300 back in the 1960's and '70's. Shame on Beretta for causing endless confusion by re-using that number!

It is my position that the model should always be called either A300 Outlander or just Outlander, but never just A300.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:08 pm 
Limited Edition

in the UK the gun is marketed as the 'A300 Outlander'.

Mine,purchased in February,has had over 2000 shells through it without a problem of any sort.
The modern gas system stays clean and indeed the gas regulating valve and spring is not designed to be readily removed as the retaining nut is staked to the shaft.
The complicated looking,'self cleaning' gas piston is easily cleaned as the deposits are not as heavy as on the older design and as a consequence the gas chamber is almost cleanable by simply wiping it out.

As I have said before on here I use my Outlander solely for sporting clays and 5 stand and it serves that purpose extremely well.The one,modified, flush fitting Mobilchoke the gun is supplied with in the UK is ideal and works as well as any after market extended chokes I have tried in it.

Vic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:17 pm 
Limited Edition

An update on the A300 Outlander.
I have had mine for six months now and put about 5000 shells through it.
It has not missed a beat,no FTF's,misfires or any cycling problems.
I use 1oz shells exclusively,which is the norm for Sporting Clays in the UK.
The gas regulation system does not get dirty and is not designed to be dismantled as the retaining ring is staked in place.
The new style piston,while more complex than a 391,does not get gummed up with muck and what there is is easily cleaned off with a good,proprietary,cleaner.
The gas chamber stays very clean because of the new piston except for a band at the bottom where the piston ring doesn't reach but this and any deposits in the bottom of the chamber are easily removed.
The gas port is easy to get at for cleaning and while there appears to be two ports only one goes through to the barrel.
A bonus is that the forend cap is no longer the grossly over engineered object from the 391 although from force of habit I still put copper grease on the thread.
The bolt assembly and trigger group and stock adjustment are more or less what you are already used to in the 391.
I use my Outlander exclusively for Sporting Clays and do not find the 7lb weight to be a handicap.
The modified choke supplied has been replaced by a Teague extended Improved Cylinder choke but that is my choice.

Vic.

Post subject: Re: Vic....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

How does the recoil compare to older models? I have heard less/more/same depending on where I read.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am 
Limited Edition

Having owned the early 391 with the Mobilchoke barrel and the later 391 with Optibore barrels,both sporter models, the recoil feels about the same to me,that is to say,very little.
If you consider that the Outlander weighs 7lbs compared to the 7.5 or so of the 391 Sporter then the Outlander probably recoils less.
Why this should be I know not.The Outlander uses a Mobilchoke barrel and is in many respects a 303 with a modern gas system.
Beretta in the UK use the words 'soft shooting' in the sales blurb.

Vic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:13 am 
Tournament Grade

I just wish the A300 Outlander would get into the stores so I could handle one before I buy another gun. On the Beretta website it only lists a few places to get one and they are nowhere near me. Maybe they think this is good promotion, getting people to want one since they can not get one yet? Anyway, I got a couple of months before I make my next purchase.
Thanks VicW for the insight on the new model.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

VicW wrote:
Having owned the early 391 with the Mobilchoke barrel and the later 391 with Optibore barrels,both sporter models, the recoil feels about the same to me,that is to say,very little.
If you consider that the Outlander weighs 7lbs compared to the 7.5 or so of the 391 Sporter then the Outlander probably recoils less.
Why this should be I know not.The Outlander uses a Mobilchoke barrel and is in many respects a 303 with a modern gas system.
Beretta in the UK use the words 'soft shooting' in the sales blurb.

Vic.

Thanks for the follow up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

VicW wrote:
An update on the A300 Outlander.
I have had mine for six months now and put about 5000 shells through it.
It has not missed a beat,no FTF's,misfires or any cycling problems.
I use 1oz shells exclusively,which is the norm for Sporting Clays in the UK.
The gas regulation system does not get dirty and is not designed to be dismantled as the retaining ring is staked in place.
The new style piston,while more complex than a 391,does not get gummed up with muck and what there is is easily cleaned off with a good,proprietary,cleaner.
The gas chamber stays very clean because of the new piston except for a band at the bottom where the piston ring doesn't reach but this and any deposits in the bottom of the chamber are easily removed.
The gas port is easy to get at for cleaning and while there appears to be two ports only one goes through to the barrel.
A bonus is that the forend cap is no longer the grossly over engineered object from the 391 although from force of habit I still put copper grease on the thread.
The bolt assembly and trigger group and stock adjustment are more or less what you are already used to in the 391.
I use my Outlander exclusively for Sporting Clays and do not find the 7lb weight to be a handicap.
The modified choke supplied has been replaced by a Teague extended Improved Cylinder choke but that is my choice.

Vic.

Thanks for the update, very helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

CharlieC wrote:
I just wish the A300 Outlander would get into the stores so I could handle one before I buy another gun. On the Beretta website it only lists a few places to get one and they are nowhere near me. Maybe they think this is good promotion, getting people to want one since they can not get one yet? Anyway, I got a couple of months before I make my next purchase.
Thanks VicW for the insight on the new model.

I wanted to handle one also but had read that they are similar to the 400. I shouldered a couple of 400's and they seemed to fit like a glove. I was split between the Outlander and the Franchi Affinity. The Affinity fit me well too tho.