CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning B2000 review
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:10 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm 54 years old and I've never hunted and until recently never even owned a gun of any type. My son loves to hunt with my wife's father and he has asked me to go and shoot clays with him and I've always said maybe someday. Within the past six months this has become more and more appealing. After talking to my wife we both decided to buy a couple of used shotguns and try shooting trap. If we decide this is something we would like to continue doing then perhaps we will spend some money on new shotguns. Not knowing the difference between a Beretta and a Mossberg I wound up settling on a Browning B2000, Browning is my father in-laws favorite brand so it sounded like a good choice. My wife liked the feel of a Turkish made Charles Daly Superior Hunter II. They both have been virtually flawless and someday I'll do a review on the Charles Daly but today I'm reviewing the Browning B-2000.

The price on the B-2000 was $400 but because we signed up for the Cabela's club they knocked $50 off each gun. After getting home and searching the internet I found a lot of people that had bad things to say about the B-2000, mostly based on hearsay, but I found even more people who actually owned a B-2000 and had very good things to say about the gun. Searching the internet I was also able to decipher the C47 part of the serial number as 12 gauge made in 1974. I was a little shocked that I had purchased a 38 year old shotgun! I was 16 when this bad boy was made!

The following day it was off to the local gun club. I honestly didn't know how to load a shotgun. The B-2000 with the loading port on the left side is different from anything else. I did read that the port on the left was for loading and you push the shell half way into the magazine, let it go and let it spring back and it pops up into the chamber. Once I got this down loading one round at a time for trap was a snap.

Almost right from the start shouldering this gun felt natural. Shouldered and looking down the barrel quickly seemed like looking down my arm at my pointed finger. I'm not a little guy, 6' 2” with short alligator arms and in need of losing more than just a couple of pounds and the gun just seems to fit me. It is a little heavier than the Charles Daly but I kind of like the little extra heft. I hit 15 of 25 clays my first time out. Now after close to three months I'm hitting around 22 of 25. I seem to have the most difficulty hitting the clays that fly off to the left.

Cleaning the B-2000 is a little more, okay, a lot more complicating than the Charles Daly. However the key is to look through the manual, which can be downloaded on-line, and study how the gas assembly comes apart and goes back together. Once you have this down cleaning is a snap. However a slow snap due to all the parts but it really isn't that hard. The action spring is long, the first time I figured out how to remove the action the thing went flying and smacked into the ceiling of my man cave. Pieces were all over the place and I nearly crapped my pants with fear on getting things put together correctly. Once I did get it all put back together I took it apart again. My feeling was that I needed to figure out how to get this thing apart and back together while it was still fresh in my head.

I had put close to 500 rounds of light target loads without any issue until fathers day. My wife, son, future daughter in-law and myself went to the club to have a little fun. I shot once and everything seemed good. The second shot there was no bang, the trigger acted like the safety was on. I pulled back on the operating handle and it wouldn't lock in place. I knew my day was done.

When I got home and took the gun apart the firing pin wasn't in the bolt like it was suppose to be. It had somehow popped out the back of the bolt. After doing a little investigating it was obvious that the firing pin bushing was worn and needed to be replaced. Midwest Gun Works is a pretty good place to find parts for a Browning B-2000 and they did have the firing pin bushing that I needed. I had to drill a little notch into the side of the bushing so that the bushing pin would hold the bushing in place once installed into the bolt. Other that that it was an easy procedure.

Today I had a chance to get out to the club and do some shooting. I only had time for 25 rounds but once again the old B-2000 worked flawless. I got home and stripped it down and everything was where it was suppose to be. I know it is going to take a lot more shooting to declare this fix a success but so far so good.

I give the Browning B-2000 high marks for overall feel, shouldering, recoil, easy to load with the side port, weight if you like a shotgun with a little extra heft and lastly it just looks good in an old school way. I'll have to give it low marks for being overly complex and parts can be a little tricky to find. I like shooting this gun so much that I'm thinking about joining my son and father in-law for some pheasant hunting next fall.

Post subject: Re: Browning B2000 review
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

i am glad to hear you are having fun with your gun. i have two b2000s a 20 and a 12. have had good luck with both of them. my buddy has a b2000 slug gun that has put many deer in the freezer in all hinds of weather with no problems. good luck when you go pheasant hunting thats my favorite also!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the review. I had a 12 gauge Browning B-2000 for a lot of years. Never had a problem with it. I didn't put a lot of rounds through it, but when I did shoot it, it worked perfectly. I was always amazed at how little felt recoil it had with the plastic buttplate that had the FN initials on it.

Mine had the fixed Mod choke, but it shot a tight Mod pattern........ about like an IM or Light Full.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:14 pm 
Utility Grade

I should have mentioned that it has a full fixed choke barrel. I ordered some extras of the plastic parts like the receiver buffer, forearm buffer and gas piston buffer, and for those who own a Browning b2000, be sure to order a replacement firing pin bushing or two as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:36 pm 
Limited Edition

Mike,

Great review, for a first time shooter/gun owner, you clearly have some mechanical aptitude.
The B2000 IS complex and a bit tricky to tear down, but IMO one of the softest recoiling
semiautos out there.

There are apocryphal stories about them, cold weather and safety failures
seem to head the list, never had any problems with the 3 I've got, but then I don't leave them lying around loaded.
The LH speed feed is certainly different, my shell bag at the clays course hangs to the left, and I load left handed, once you get the hang of it, it's very quick!
Hunt around for barrels, I've got quite a collection. If you've got a full, try and find a Mod and an IC or Skeet. Personally I prefer the Non rib, or matted version, better balance and handling.

Now that you're hitting 'em at the trap range, give sporting clays a go! Be warned, very
addictive. And then there's reloading, WARNING WARNING! Once you start that you'll
be hooked for life.

I feel the B2000 is one of the "sleepers", great value for the money. Like many of the Browning designs, complex; but elegant and reliable once you figure them out.

Take care and have fun!

Cheers,
R*2

Last edited by Rrusse11 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:03 am 
Crown Grade

used to be mine. The workmanship on the B2000 is world class, also hand checkered. Mine had a 28" Mod barrel. First gasser built by Browning in Herstal...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GLDG ... 50-001.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--FBZ ... 63-001.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-54Id ... 66-001.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-LhIR ... 54-001.JPG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Slugo, thanks for the pictures. I just don't understand how some people out their say this is a plain looking gun, I love the looks. Rrusse11, I was thinking about having the barrel threaded for chokes but the wall thickness is too thin. Maybe it's a sign not to mess with a good thing. Prehaps a mod or ic barrel is the way to go or maybe I need to add something new to the stable???

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:38 pm 
Crown Grade

I think it's one of the three most beautiful autoloaders ever produced. All hand built and hand checkered. Fit and finish is equal to an Auto-5...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:00 pm 
Limited Edition

Mike-B2000 wrote:
Slugo, thanks for the pictures. I just don't understand how some people out their say this is a plain looking gun, I love the looks. Rrusse11, I was thinking about having the barrel threaded for chokes but the wall thickness is too thin. Maybe it's a sign not to mess with a good thing. Prehaps a mod or ic barrel is the way to go or maybe I need to add something new to the stable???

Mike,

Choke tubes are over rated IMO. The design predates the screw in choke systems now common, and the idea was to have different choked interchangeable barrels. Dig around on Ebay, Gunbroker, etc. You should be able to find the plain barrels for <$100. Be aware that there are 3" Mag barrels, and these will not cycle 2 3/4" loads, the gas port is 1 hole vs 2 holes on the standard chambering. I standardly walk around the clays course with an extra barrel. Eg., last week with an early Sweet Sixteen, I shot most of the stations with a skeet barrel (.005" constriction). But for a longer range bird I changed to an IC, (.010"). Not much more time consuming than changing a choke tube.

If you start to reload, you can also tailor your loads for specific ranges and targets. Don't buy into the ammo salemens stock answer, "It ain't worth reloading". Where can I buy a 20ga 3/4oz #7.5 shot shell doing 1350fps that is death on rabbits? Birds in the air get the same load with #8.5.

If you can tear down, and get back together a B2000, you'll have no problem learning how to run a reloader. All part of the fun!

Cheers,
R*2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:58 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I am going to disagree with R*2. Choke tubes are not overrated. They are easier to carry and change than Barrels. The full choked barrel would be good on really long range shots like 4o+ yards with turkeys. My full chokes mostly just sit there and get very little use.

Mike B 2000: Welcome to Shotgun World. I bought a B 2000 in 1979 and it came with two barrels mod and full. I later bought a skeet barrel. I used it for ducks, upland birds and even took my first wild turkey with it. The advent of steel shot forced me to go to a 3" gun and now the B 2000 is a a back up gun. I will never sell it. I took more quail with it than any gun I have ever owned. I even took four bob whites on a covey rise at the first covey and the second and went fishing for an hour as my partner finished up.

I think that Briley Manufacturing down in Houston can tap your full barrel for their thin wall chokes and that would make that 38 year old gun serve you will for another 40 years. Another option would be to have the choke reamed out to open it up to Light Mod. That would make it a far more useful shotgun.

Briley is first rate. see http://www.briley.com/gunsmithing.aspx

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The B2000 is rated by Browning for small steel shot,,if you have your choke reamed to light mod.

I am just crazy in love with my B2000's. My 30VR full barrel was reamed to .015 (light mod) and it is a corking good trap, skeet, and sporting clays gun,,,far more usefull than when it was a full choke. Try opening up the full to light mod and you won't think about choke tubes,,,I promise.:)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:59 am 
Crown Grade

a B2000 with a mod barrel will do just about anything, with the exception of skeet. Sending the gun to Briley for a thin-wall choke job will exceed the value of the gun! And, what's the point, you can't shoot skeet, BFD! Also remember, there are about a half dozen parts (some plastic) within the assembly that you cannot replace anymore. How many miles do you really have left in the gun.

Just sayin'...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I used to say there were five plastic parts inside the B2000,,,but I forgot the firing pin bushing,,,which would make it six. They are very wonderful shotguns though, Brownings very best gas guns, and IMO worth fooling with.

A Light Mod .015 12 gauge gun can shoot skeet with hot, soft #9 shot skeet loads and sixty yard crossers with hard 7 1/2 shot trap loads. Or you can just use#8's for both.

We miss by feet, not inches. It's a lucky target that flies through a swarm of #8's too, at any reasonable distance. I recommend light mod, but improved cylinder may even be better.

With my Polychoked guns,,,they stay set one notch tighter than IC almost all the time. I think we make too much fuss over choke.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the input. I'm leaning toward having it reamed out to a light mod. I also like the idea of thin walled chokes but like someone said, how many more years can I get out of it? I'm thinking it will out live me and I plan on passing it down to my son at some point. Being cheap and a "best bang for the buck" kind of guy I'm thinking the light mod seems more cost effective.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Can someone list the plastic parts?

Are they gauge specific?

Thinking about getting a 20ga but I'm concerned that if they are gauge specific those parts could be even harder to find.

Thx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:02 pm 
Utility Grade

I asked that question to Midwest Gun Works, customerservice@midwestgunworks.com, and they replied, receiver buffer, forearm cap buffer and gas piston buffer and they do have these parts in stock. I had the fire pin buffer wear out on my b2000 so I would include that as well. There are two or three other plastic parts but Midwest didn't mention them. This was for my 12 gauge and I would have to assume that the 20 gauge would have most of the same parts.

Mike.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mike-B2000 wrote:
I hit 15 of 25 clays my first time out. Now after close to three months I'm hitting around 22 of 25. I seem to have the most difficulty hitting the clays that fly off to the left.

I'll leave the B2000 comments to the B2000 owners, but as an occasional trap shooter, I'll say ... good shooting!!!

Enjoy!
Dave

http://www.thesunontheweb.com
http://www.thegunowner.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:14 am 
Utility Grade

About the old style fixed chokes that Browning made before the advent of screw in interchangeables was that Browning used a parrallel style of choke that very often made them practically rifle accurate out to 100 yards, sometimes further, with a favorite foster type of slug. Of four different Browning barrels I own of that design, three modified and one full, I can keep all my shots at the above mentioned range inside of a softball sized group. Two of the modified tubes could hold that performance out to 120 yards. Even the full choke was very accurate. Again, all with a favorite foster type slug. I can only guess that the areal do design swagges down the slug and the last parrallel section of the barrel sends them off on a very uniform, that is accurate flight path. Should you be tempted to go deer,or hog hunting this gun may just be ready right now for you. Test and see with three or four types of ammo to see what shoots best. You might be lucky and have a good slug barrel already on your gun. My old style Brownings have followed that rule. I have taken several bucks at 100 yards or better with my fixed parallel choked Brownings'. Good gun and I shot well with it for a full year when I was forced to shoot right handed (rotator cuff surgery a month before hunting season forced me to mount the gun to my only remaing good shoulder) and within a couple of days I was connecting almost as well with my B2000 as I had been from the other side. Good gun.