CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Restoring a LC Smith Field grade, bluing shop recommendation
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Shotgunworld Colleagues,

Recently discovered this site. Lots of good information and discussions. Need some advice:
I purchased an LC Smith filed grade SxS 12 gauge with 30 inch barrels recently at a gun show for a super price of $200. The gun is mechanically sound and still locks very tight. The actions is in great shape and there are a very few minor pits on the barrel. Bluing is nearly gone and the gun has been reblued before, as the sideplates are blue and not case hardened. Stock has a few minor dings, the classic chip out on the bottom of the action and someone added a poorly fitting rifle pad to the butt. The bores have some minor pitting near the chokes but I think it can be polished out using the bore polishing devices available from Brownells. I plan to restore the gun back to shootable condition and will hunt with it after by refinishing the stock. I’ll probably add a Pachmayr pad, as I need the length and will have the barrels and action reblued. Any collector value, which was low to begin with, has already been destroyed. I’m experienced in the stock work but am looking for recommendations on gunsmith/bluing shops that can reblue the barrels and action. The barrels are soft soldered I believe so they will have to be rust blued. The action can be standard salt blued. Anybody have a favorite shop that they use for their bluing needs.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations
Paul

Post subject: Re: Restoring a LC Smith Field grade, bluing shop recommenda
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:29 pm 
Field Grade

reedap 1,

There is a guy in Ohio (i think) named Oscar Gaddy. He is a cold blue genius and has worked on dozens if not hundreds of LC's. He is also very reasonably priced. He will be the best one to aks about getting new case colors on your reciever. He will probably recomend a place also in Oh. called Ohio Case Color. If I remember correctly they charge about $110-150 to do an already prepped reciever.

In the past several months I have read a couple of articals about re-handening older recievers. There are several fellows out there that seem to think that older recievers should be rehardened ONLY if there is an apparent need and not just to get nice new colors back. Their thought is that every one of these old guns were hand fit and a good tight reciever/barrel combination can and will most likely be degraded if there is any distortion during the reheating and subsequent cooling of the part. Their thoughts do have merrit in my book. But then again I don't have anything nice enougf to warrent shelling out the $$$ for such a project.

If you e-mail me I'll send along oscar's E-mail and phone #.

Joe