CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington Sportsman 58 Action Spring Stop
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:37 am 
Utility Grade

First time poster with a question or two.

I recently picked up a Rem SPT-58 on the cheap that needed some attention. In the process of taking it down and giving it a good healthy cleaning, I found that the "Action Spring Stop" was cracked and broken into three or more pieces.

After doing some online research I'm wondering what I need for replacement...I noticed that there are two different "Action Spring Stops" listed in the parts breakdown in the owner's manual from the Remington site: http://www.remington.com/~/media/Files/Owners-Manuals/Model%20Sportsman%2058.ashx

Does anyone know how different the Magnum Grade Action Spring Stop and the regular Action Spring Stop are?

After poking around online for a while I ordered Product No. 74140A from Numrich. I hope it's the proper part.

Next...how in the heck am I going to get that darn thing back into the magazine tube. With the tension from the magazine spring it would appear that it is going to be a major PITA.

I just put in a new firing pin and firing pin spring in this nice ol' girl and am really looking forward to test fire.

Any help from the knowledge base here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Image courtesy of http://stevespages.com/ipb-remington-58.html.

Post subject: Re: Remington Sportsman 58 Action Spring Stop
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a SPT 58 20 gauge, but I am not the authority on the guns. Contact David Snoap the58sportsman@comcast.net, or (616) 235-0295. he knows a lot about them, and also sells hard to find parts for the gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:23 pm 
Utility Grade

papaac, thank you for the information. After a couple of e-mails with David Snoap, he is sending me an action stop for $10 shipped.

I tested the new firing pin with a shell that I had cut off below the wad and emptied out the powder. Worked very well, nice deep dimple. Now to make sure it cycles properly. I wish my part was here...I am looking forward to shooting at and maybe even breaking a few clays with this gun.

Could someone explain the purpose/use of the follower latch (# 26 in the above parts breakdown) on the mag/piston tube?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rhubarb wrote:
papaac, thank you for the information. After a couple of e-mails with David Snoap, he is sending me an action stop for $10 shipped.

I tested the new firing pin with a shell that I had cut off below the wad and emptied out the powder. Worked very well, nice deep dimple. Now to make sure it cycles properly. I wish my part was here...I am looking forward to shooting at and maybe even breaking a few clays with this gun.

Could someone explain the purpose/use of the follower latch (# 26 in the above parts breakdown) on the mag/piston tube?

Glad David had what you needed. I can't answer your question, but I know he can.