CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Browning A5 16 gauge serial number date guide
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:10 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently received a Sweet Sixteen from an estate, and have two questions, please...

1) I cannot match/date the serial number on this shotgun. The serial number is located just forward of the loading port and is 'A427', exactly as written (i.e. the 'A' is not above the rest of the numbers). This serial number does not seem to match any of the examples.

2) The shotgun came with an attached 'Poly-Choke', the type of which I've never seen before, nor can I find any info on how it works. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have photos I can post for both questions, if that would help.

Thanks!
Jon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:38 pm 
Limited Edition

I suspect it may be the Remington made Browning. The links below offer more history. The three digit serial number may also indicate a 1940 gun

****1940 – 1953**** "A" Prefix American made Browning by “Remington Arms.”

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=239495

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=280763

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/ ... f=7&t=7746

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:30 am 
Utility Grade

Goad wrote:
I suspect it may be the Remington made Browning. The links below offer more history. The three digit serial number may also indicate a 1940 gun

****1940 – 1953**** "A" Prefix American made Browning by “Remington Arms.”

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think this is it... The serial number is just forward of the loading port (not on the receiver as these serial numbers are) and the number is way outside the range listed for the Remington-made shotguns. Also, my shotgun does have the FN stamp, so I'm making the assumption it is Belgian-made.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:01 pm 
Crown Grade

According to Shirley & Vanderlinden there were two Belgian 16-gauge A series production runs. A-01 to A-958 from September 1953 to November 1954; and then a later A series in late 1957 and early 1958 -- A for light or T for heavy 1300 to 10900.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:11 am 
Limited Edition

Hi Jon,
Very cool first post in the forum. Thanks for the information rich question. I revised this guide to prevent future confusion. The Belgium "A" series guns I have seen, most on GB and other online auctions, have the "A" above the serial number. The Remington/Browning A5s had the A preceding the number.

Thanks Researcher01 for referring to the book.

"Details about dates, transitions, exceptions, and other nuances can be found in the Shirley/Vanderlinden book, Browning Auto 5 Shotguns."

I now believe with certainty that your gun is a 1953 production Browning, post war, made in Belgium, Sweet Sixteen with a Polychoke. We may be able to determine if it was Browning - Choke code #11or FN - Choke code #9 factory installed choke. If you unscrew the choke you may reveal a choke code number stamped into the metal just in front of the threads. I have one (1946) with a choke code #15. I have no idea who had that code but I have seen two others with that code.

Thanks for the pictures. With your permission I would like to post the pics with the close-up of the serial number and choke code as an example for others to see.

Polychoke

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=316763
viewtopic.php?t=171121

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:41 am 
Utility Grade

Many thanks to both Researcher01 and Goad. I appreciate the further information...

Goad - yes, you have my permission to publish the photos. Also, I removed the PolyChoke and found a stamped "#18" between the threads of the choke and the front sight at about the 2 O'clock position relative to the sight. Does that help? Thanks also for pointing out the crack in the forearm - I plan on taking it to a gunsmith to have them glass it internally to prevent further cracking/damage. Any advice along those lines? Your links for the PolyChoke were spot-on, as well. Why I couldn't find that myself initially is beyond me (a forehead slapping moment to be sure). I was able to contact the manufacturer and was able to translate the settings to their modern equivalent (for those that care, here they are):

'Old' PolyChoke position
FULL (fully tightened)
MOD
IMP CYL
FULL (backed out 1 rev)

'New' PolyChoke equivalent setting
XFULL
FULL
IMP MOD
MOD
IMP CYL
SLUG/SKEET
CYL BORE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:19 pm 
Limited Edition

We have not been able to locate a source to determine Poly Choke dealer codes other than Browning and FN. Poly Choke is still open but it has been reported here that they don't have the old records for choke dealer codes. Unfortunately Poly Choke dealer code #18 will be another mystery until more information comes to light.

Here is the pic of the 1953 Belgium Sweet Sixteen A series with the "A" preceding rather than above the serial number. Thanks Jon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:54 pm 
Limited Edition

Dechief4 wrote:
Thanks also for pointing out the crack in the forearm - I plan on taking it to a gunsmith to have them glass it internally to prevent further cracking/damage. Any advice along those lines?

Some A5 forends crack others don't. Proper maintenance, handling and application of the forend cap tension may prevent cracking but under the best conditions, some are gonna crack others under the worst conditions wont, cant and seem to refuse to crack. It seems to be a fact of A5 life.

For your consideration, I am aware of three lines of thinking regarding cracked forends.

1. If it is a numbers matching gun some collectors/buyers prefer "As is" and "original as found" do not touch it. The crack ads character, tells a story, and is ok. Other collectors will pass on a cracked forend.

2. Some collectors/buyers prefer restored to near as original as possible. Have it done by a reputable professional. Once bubba does his magic with the Walmart glass kit the gun will be worthless to some collectors.

3. Its your gun, if you want to call it a shooter and its gonna see a lot more action replace it or have it fixed/reinforced. That gun may go through a few more forends before it is no longer serviceable.

There is no official A5 collector category for "A" series guns. Unofficially a few of us appreciate the A5 and its many secrets for rarity and collectability.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

*doink*

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

TtT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

again

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

BTPg1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Need some help identifying a Browning A5 16 gauge shotgun.

The serial number on the bottom of the receiver says 'T' then below the T is 329

This gun was inherited from my grandfather and my son now uses it but he was interested in the age and history of the gun.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:47 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks for another great question. You made me dig a little deeper. According to the S/V book, the first "A" series guns were produced and accepted in the warehouse with serial number A1 on September 19, 1953 and ended with Serial number A958 November 4, 1953. There was no distinction in the first "A" series between the Sweet Sixteen and Standard weight as both were marked only "A." The second series in 1957 was made with the distinction; A = Sweet Sixteen and T = Standard weight gun. Yours appears to be a 1957 standard weight.

I edited the guide to clarify these serial numbers and dates. Thanks for your contribution to improve this work.

Last edited by Goad on Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

sticky...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

again

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

*doink*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Just got a 20 gauge from my late friend's estate and I would like to know as much about it as I can. I do know it is a Browning 20 gauge auto. The numbers I have found are above the feed ramp(?). It says 1Z 46447. The right side of the barrel says "Made in Belgium" in tiny letters. There are other proof marks on it but I have no idea what they mean. Should this be a shooter or a hanger? It is very functional and would like to use it for this year on some terrorist turkeys.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:42 am 
Limited Edition

Welcome to the forum. PM sent {hs#

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ole'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next