CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage 410ers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:04 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a pair of Savage 410ers that I bought directly from the Savage Parts Dept. years ago. Was planning to use them for 410 skeet in a old O/U but the results were kind of spotty. Sometimes I could shoot a "reasonable" round (20 or 21) but there were too many 12s and 13s as well. What has your experience been with Savage 410ers? Do you think 3" 410s might be better than the usual 2 1/2" 410 load?

Post subject: Re: Savage 410ers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They were a novelty, and if you're shooting 20's and 21's with them, you are doing about as well as anyone...

Post subject: Re: Savage 410ers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do you usually go 25 with a .410 gun?....What carrier gauge gun are your inserts for?...... I think both of those factors have a bearing on the question.

I have two pairs of Savage .410ers, one pair that fits a 20ga gun, and another pair that fits a 12ga gun....my results vary with both sizes, just like yours do.....
Although my pair for 20ga seem to do much better than my pair for the 12ga.

I believe the greater difference, insert to bore, would have an adverse effect on patterns. I'd guess the gas doesn't get sealed in either size, and the shot probably leaves the cup while still in the barrel.....again I'd guess this would result in poor patterns in comparison to patterns from a .410 barrel......I've done no testing, just empirical experience.

The bottom line, as I see it, is that I have much more often got all 25 with my .410 skeet gun or full length Briley tubes than with the 20ga Savage .410ers.....
and I have never gone straight with the 12ga .410ers.....
I think any short inserts are poor performing replacements for either, full length tubes, or an actual .410 chambered gun.....

But I believe the 12" length of the Savage .410ers give them an edge in functioning (pattern wise) over any of the available inserts that are only chamber length.....real testing would need to be done (perhaps has?) to determine if there actually is an edge and how great it might be.

As for the 3" shells.....more shot certainly should fill more holes....if it would be worth the extra expense (or trouble if you're reloading) is something you need to decide....

:lol: After all this criticism of them, I right now happen to be shopping for a pair of .410ers to fit a 16ga gun.......Art