CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Charles Daly O&U
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Charles Daly (KBI inport from Sabatti Field Hunter II) on atrade for this gun 20 ga. with case colored reciever extractors not ejectors, says it 98%. have not seen it yet whats it worth? Are they as good as Charles Daly(Miroku) thanks for the help

Post subject: Re: Charles Daly O&U
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:49 pm 
Crown Grade

IMO, not as good, but better than the Turkish guns they imported.

If I'm reading your post correctly, the gun you're asking about is a Charles Daly, 20 ga. Field Hunter II, manufactured by Sabatti in Italy. Correct? Fixed chokes? Barrel length?

Found this on-line"

"Sabatti made Charles Daly Superior II Hunter O/U

According to the Service Department at Charles Daly / KBI, Sabatti made O/U's for them in the late 90's to 2005. One of the model lines they made for them was the Superior O/U's including the Superior II Hunter O/U. Some of the older articles I have read and people I've contacted that own this line of Charles Daly's believe they are as good as or better than the Japanese made Miroku Charles Daly shotguns of the 60's and 70's. Sabatti may have also manufactured their Empire line of O/U's, but I am not totally sure of that. Sabatti is one of the oldest, in continuous business as an arms manufacturer since 1674, and best Italian shotgun makers that currently manufactures Remington's Premier O/U shotguns and the Browning Medalist. I have read articles and reviews from European sources that state that Sabatti's own line of shotguns are as good as or better than Beretta and Browning. They also do custom work for some of the best shotgun manufacturers in the world including Perazzi."

Source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_sabatti_m ... z20XcDY9M1

As far as price goes, I would think it should sell somewhere in the $400-500 range in 98% condition.

I based this estimate on the fact that I picked up a 99.9% Charles Daly (Miroku) Venture Trap gun for $600 this past spring. The Japanese-made Daly's seem to be in much greater demand than the Italian ones.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:42 am 
Crown Grade

Whilst I have no experience of them in 20g I owned a 12g Sabatti for a couple of years and 3 shooting buddies had 12g Medalists.

Good points: Inexpensive, good handling and.......sorry, can't think of anything else.

Bad points: Awful triggers, cheaply built and 2 of them suffered broken (snapped) ejectors.

Absolutely not even in the same solar system as Miroku built guns. I know this because I traded my Sabatti in for one.

Robert Browning

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:37 am 
Crown Grade

also, limited or no parts availability for the KBI guns here in the states. And that includes the CD Miroku models. I know Michael Kassner (KBI) right here in Harrisburg, PA...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are a great number of parts available for CD Miroku's, between Weisners and B&C Gunsmiths in Lake Havasu, AZ.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:54 am 
Crown Grade

What part would you need for a Miroku? Pins & Springs for preventative maintenance? Maybe a top lever spring at 100,000 rounds? All available.

Back to the OP... my father had one of the Italian CDs in the 90s. It was an OK field gun, light and went bang, but generally a poor fit and finsh. Nothing like a Miroku - new or old.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'd steer clear, and buy a gun with a better reputation. Sabatti has been around a long time, and they have managed to stay in business, but aren't known for exceptional quality. There's also the issue of parts that was already mentioned.

As you probably know, CD never manufactured anything, they were simply an importer. Historically, they imported pretty decent stuff, but in their last years they imported sub-par stuff, trying to squeeze those last few drops of blood from the stone that had been their reputation.

If you have the desire to own something with the CD name on it, hold out for a Miroku.

Post subject: Re: Re: Charles Daly O&U
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:54 am 
Diamond Grade

drsfmd wrote:
I'd steer clear, and buy a gun with a better reputation. Sabatti has been around a long time, and they have managed to stay in business, but aren't known for exceptional quality. There's also the issue of parts that was already mentioned.

As you probably know, CD never manufactured anything, they were simply an importer. Historically, they imported pretty decent stuff, but in their last years they imported sub-par stuff, trying to squeeze those last few drops of blood from the stone that had been their reputation.

If you have the desire to own something with the CD name on it, hold out for a Miroku.

Yea. There are alot of miroku guns out there for cheap..

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by clink83 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:38 am 
Tournament Grade

The Miroku is a much better made gun then the Sabatti,I certainly would prefer it over any Turkish made gun.The Baikal Is at the same quality and cheaper,but for a single trigger I trust the Sabatti better.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:07 am 
Crown Grade

I have a 20 Gauge extractor side-by-side. I like the gun and its handling, but it's the last extractor gun I plan to acquire. Ever. The smaller the bore, the more emphatic I am about that. Food for thought...