CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 12 ga hammer octagon double barrel shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:08 pm 
I have a 12 ga double octagon barrel shotgun. It is a hammer side by side with 27 3/8 inche barrels. It has matching engraving on each side of a hound and a rabbit. It has Alexander Gun Co stamped on one side. It has matching markings stamped on the underside of the barrels under the forearm. The markings are 18.4, four designs, a diamond with 12 and another symbol in it, a crown with an oval attached. In the oval are the letters ELG and a 5 pointed star. I was told it was made in Belgium cira 1890 and may have been imported by the EK Tryon of Philadelphia. Hence the Alexander Gun Co. I was curious if this is right and would like to find out the original maker and an approx value. All I know is this gun came from my great grandfather.

Post subject: Re: 12 ga hammer octagon double barrel shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:10 pm 
Crown Grade

You've got about the same info that I have on it as far as E.K. Tryon.
These old hardware guns haven't piqued many collectors interest yet so most are priced as shooters but this octagon barrelled one might be a different story, there's a couple of guys lurking around that should know.

Post subject: Re: 12 ga hammer octagon double barrel shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:51 pm 
Brian wrote:
I have a 12 ga double octagon barrel shotgun. It is a hammer side by side with 27 3/8 inche barrels. It has matching engraving on each side of a hound and a rabbit. It has Alexander Gun Co stamped on one side. It has matching markings stamped on the underside of the barrels under the forearm. The markings are 18.4, four designs, a diamond with 12 and another symbol in it, a crown with an oval attached. In the oval are the letters ELG and a 5 pointed star. I was told it was made in Belgium cira 1890 and may have been imported by the EK Tryon of Philadelphia. Hence the Alexander Gun Co. I was curious if this is right and would like to find out the original maker and an approx value. All I know is this gun came from my great grandfather.