CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mauser Bauer 72-E skeet
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:54 am 
Utility Grade

Hi guys I'm new to shotgunworld and i came here because i would like to sell a shotgun i have owned for a while but i have no idea what it is worth.
it is a Mauser Bauer 72-E skeet. i used the the gun for only a year or so back in the early 90's. i shot competitive skeet and took it to the junior world skeet tournament in 1995. i was 13 and have used it once or twice since then. i have tried to take very good care of the gun and keep it as clean as possible. i have no use for it and also have no idea what it is worth.
if i can figure out how to post pics i will asap.
thanks guys

Last edited by DonkBisser on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mauser Bauer 72-E skeet
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:08 am 
Utility Grade

btw how do i post a pic in here..... lol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:22 am 
Presentation Grade

It is a bit akward posting pictures. You can Search for instructions in the Search Bar above right.

Basically you upload your pics to a hosting site like Photobucket. Then right click the pic and copy its address. Then open a window under your post (or Edit an older one), click on Img above and you should see something like [Img][Img]. Put the mouse pointer between the two '][' and Right Click/Paste the address. You should see the pics after you hit Preview or Submit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:38 am 
Utility Grade

thanks Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Its my understanding that Mauser-Bauer in Michigan was primarily an importer and sourced most, if not all, of their shotguns from F.lli Gamba in Italy. The company also imported Mauser pistols manufactured by Renato Gamba (a relative of Gamba brothers) under license by Mauser Werk in Germany.

Some importers assigned model numbers or names which differ from the original makers model names/numbers. The photos which you posted do not resemble the F.lli Gamba Model 72/Montreal (also sold as the Rottweil Model 72). Does the F.lli Gamba name appear anywhere on the barrels or frame? Some additional photos may help I.D. the maker and establish a value. Remove the barrels from the frame and post some clear, close-up pix showing the breech end of the barrels and all markings thereon, as well as, pix of any markings on the frame or under the barrels. A good view of the locking lugs would also help.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:37 pm 
Utility Grade

ok... i found where it says "original Boehler stahl made in italy" on left side lower barrel. just above and to the right it has "KG1450" ... both barrels labeled "skeet 18 3" ... on the bottom there are many marks. looks like two different serial #'s "828" is stamped on barrel, trigger guard, forehand, and receiver . "54082" stamped on barrel and receiver. " cam.70" on barrel. "finto" on both barrel and receiver. "psf" or "pse" alsoe on both.there are other markings that i can not replicate in txt. pics will be up soon.
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:02 pm 
Crown Grade

DonkBisser,

Hmmmm, identifying the maker of your gun is not as easy as I had hoped.

The barrels are stamped, "Original Boehler Stahl" which is a premium steel favored by F.lli Gamba. Looking at the underside of the breech end of the barrels, I see the usual Italian proof marks and a date code of XXVI which translates as 1970, the marking CAM70 = 70mm chamber. Below the CAM70, there is a mark which appears to be intertwined letters; perhaps"GA" but, I can't tell for sure (the letters GA in a different arrangement were used by F.lli Gamba as a logo). Interestingly, there is also an Eagle with spread wings holding a rifle or shotgun in it's talons. IIRC, a similar logo was used by the firm of IAB (Industria Armi Bresciane). However, I don't recall IAB producing an O/U with the same type of action as your Mauser-Bauer (they marketed a high frame O/U having fore and aft underlugs which established an impressive record of gold, silver and bronze wins in European skeet competition during the 70's and 80's).

The action of your Mauser-Bauer Model 72-E uses the typical "Brescia" action of the 1960's and 70's (similar to that employed by the Zoli firms) and differs from the F.lli Gamba/Rottweil 72 action. Your gun employs a low profile frame with dual Purdey extensions secured by a crossbolt. The Gamba/Rottweil Model 72 design has a higher frame and features a sliding underbolt which engages a divided bottom barrel lug somewhat similar to Browning. Interestingly, your gun has parallel underlugs which appear to protrude through the bottom of the frame similar to F.lli Gamba's earlier Models 594, 610 and 620 imported by Mauser-Bauer but, those models feature a modified Kersten crossbolt lockup in place of the dual Purdey extensions and crossbolt.

If the gun was produced by either maker, it is now an orphan with replacement parts made of unobtainium. Without positive I.D. of the maker, I would estimate the value to be in the $350.- to $650.- range depending on condition and demand.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I joined SGW just to reach this posting. I'm new to Trap and just tried Skeet and Five stand for the first time this last weekend. Can't wait to get better at those.

I have a Mauser Bauer 620 Trap that I got 6 months ago. Love it when it's in a good mood but it can be extremely frustrating other times; however, I think I'm finally out of the woods with it. Here's what I think I've learned about this brand in my quest to get mine fully reliable. The brand was imported for only a few years, 72 - 74. Have been told and read several unofficial opinions that it came out of the Gamba factory. If you look at the parts break down of the Gamba Daytona (you can see it in the ad literature on line), the trigger assembly is very close. Supposedly, the business relationship went bad and Gamba purged their records. Gamba has never returned a phone call or e-mail for a parts request. As far as other parts sources go, there are a few lines that are close (Rottweil) where you can have those parts smithed to keep function. The hammer springs are inside of spring cans instead of over guides which basically eliminates any "off the shelf" springs from working e.g. the outside coil diameter is less than 0.200". If your's has a removable trigger group, it probably utilizes leaf springs which is supposedly an even more difficult fit. I can't say this for certain.

Here's two links as to the possible value.

http://books.google.com/books?id=MWFXRD ... ue&f=false

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =292785986

The second one had color case hardening which is preferred by some.

All that said, I like them and enjoy having something that's a little different. If you're serious about selling it, please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you.

Much Thanks,
Scott F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Scott,

Check your e-mail for a pm.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:16 pm 
Field Grade

I have the same model with the black receiver. Mine is proof marked RG. It is my understanding that Renato Gamba made both the Mauser 71 and Mauser 72E shotguns. (We call these Mauser-Bauer guns because that is how they are marked. Bauer in Warren Michigan was the US distributor for Mauser firearms at this time and the guns are marked Mauser-Bauer.)

Gamba Armi may have made the gun above.

My understanding of Gamba guns*:

Side by side guns: 1960-1988 Fratelli Gamba, Gamba Armi and Renato Gamba side by side guns were made by the firm of Zanotti. In approximately 1988-1990 Renato Gamba buys out the right to produce Zanotti side by side shotguns.

Prior to 1959-1960, Guissepe Gamba proof mark encountered (Guiseppe passes away leaving the firm to his sons Guido and Renato in ~1959-1960)

Over under guns:

~1960-1969 Fratelli Gamba marking on Gamba O/U guns.

1970 onward- Guns are encountered marked both Gamba Armi and Renato Gamba. The firm of F'lli Gamba becomes Gamba Armi about 1969-1970. Gamba Armi continues to be owned by Guido and Renato Gamba. The Firm of Renato Gamba is owned by Renato Gamba only (??). There is still mutual cooperation going on between the two firms. The exact nature of the cooperation no one outside the family understands completely. Gamba Armi employed about 250 employees in the factory and another 200 finishers and engravers outside. It appears that at this time Gamba Armi was one of the largest shotgun producers in Gardone V.T. (if not the largest). Gamba Armi appears to have only produced guns on their own receivers.

The firm of Renato Gamba was much smaller perhaps a dozen employees? Renato Gamba appears to have produced guns for Mauser and Mannlicher as well as their own brand. Renato Gamba models appear to utilize guild (what we would call "to the trade" in the USA) receivers from Gamba Armi, Angelo Zoli, Franchi, Armi Techniche (Emilio Rizzini) and others.

Gamba Armi continues to make model 610, 620 guns.

1972- Gamba Armi begins production of Rottweil M72 in 1972. Some 620 guns are encountered marked RG though. Apparently some Rottweil M72 guns are encountered that are proof marked Renato Gamba as well. Rottweil M72 is produced until 1986-1988 when the model is discontinued by Rottweil. The Model 72 is made only for Rottweil. (In approximately 1992 Rottweil introduces the Rottweil Paragon model made in Germany by the company that would be renamed "Krico" in 1996.)

1981- Gamba Armi begins production of the improved Model 81 guns as a Gamba Armi model. The Gamba Model 81 is mechanically identical to the Rottweil M72. Externally the Model 81 has scalloped side to the receiver and Gamba Army also produces the M81 in a deluxe model with false sideplates. The Gamba Armi Model 81 is produced until 1988.

In 1988 Gamba Armi introduces the Model SR88 Daytona. Both Gamba Armi and the firm of Renato Gamba produce the Model 88 from 1988-1990.

1990-1991 Renato Gamba buys out the intellectual property rights on the model 88. Gamba Armi ceases full scale production and Guido Gamba goes into the used machine tool business full time.

I hope this helps.

* The above synopsis is based on personal visits that I had in a visit to Gardone in August 2012. Two days I visited with Guido and Tomaso Gamba (Tomaso is son of Guido). I bought some parts for Gamba Armi models at Gamba Armi. Two days later I had a separate visit with Renato Gamba and Carlo Gamba (Carlo is son of Renato and now President of BREMEC, SRL) regarding the Daytona Model and repair parts for Renato Gamba arms.

The synopsis is also based on a collection of Fratelli Gamba, Gamba Armi and Renato Gamba Company catalogs that I have put together over the years. I have also put together a catolog of photos from gun listings on Gunbroker, Auction Arms, Gun List, Rock Island Auction etc.

I also have 9 Gamba guns in my reference collection. I have examples of Gamba 620, Konrad Wirnhier 67 marked 'Made Especially for Harry A. Willsie' (620 trap variant sold by Konrad Wirnhier at his school in Alaska), Rottweil M72 AAT, Mauser-Bauer Model 71 (x2), Mauser Bauer Model 72E (x2 1 trap, 1 skeet), Renato Gamba Edinburgh (Franchi 451/2003 SBT receiver), Renato Gamba Mannlicher Edinburg (E. Rizzini ?? SBT receiver), High Grade Renato Gamba Daytona 1991 Model Pigeon/ Heavy Game Gun, non-SST, 30" F/F (custom engraved receiver inlaid gold dragons in inlaid silver clouds in panels with excelsior grade scroll surrounding, Grade 4 Eng/Circ Walnut wood) photo of this gun here http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewit ... 6/lid/1684 These phots do not do the gun justice. RIA uses too bright lights. Gun was dirty as received from RIA auction. Previous owner had covered the wood on the butt stock with a product like Old English furniture polish. Some of it had gotten on the edges of receiver and smeared across the cameo grip cap. A quick wipe with denatured alcohol cleaned this gun up and it is much prettier now.