CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ISIS Recoil Reduction
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:15 am 
Presentation Grade

Questions for ISIS users.....how do you like system? How much recoil does it eat up? Does it add any weight to gun?

I shoot a 391 gas gun, but would like to totally eliminate what little recoil it has. I see several people using the ISIS unit, but I am not familiar with it.

Thanks, Matt

Post subject: Re: ISIS Recoil Reduction
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Get a hold of "Jacksback" he has the ISIS on his Beretta semi's and should be able to help you out.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:45 am 
Tournament Grade

Matt,
I had one a few years back on my Kolar. Liked it a lot. By the time they take out some wood and depending on the type of recoil pad you have on now and what you LOP is it might not any but a few ounces to your stock. I believe the ISIS unit is around 6-8oz. My LOP is around 15 1/4 so with removing a 1 1/8" Kickezz pad and cutting about 1/2" off my stock it only added about 3 oz to my gun weight. I used a 1/2 Kickezz pad on the ISIS. Just as a reference a 1 1/8" Kickezz pad weighs about 5.5 oz's by it's self. S&S in Montana did mine and I highly recommend them.
CMT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

hopper810 wrote:
Get a hold of "Jacksback" he has the ISIS on his Beretta semi's and should be able to help you out.

Yup, in fact I have had them on 4 guns total now and do love them. Two are on 391's and 2 are on O/U's -- I sold one and the ISIS helped sell it, and the other O/U is primarily used as a tubed sub-gauge gun. They soak up significant recoil on both action types -- enough that I can shoot 1 oz 1280's in the O/U or 1-1/8 oz 1300's in my 391's without any recoil fatigue. (Note I don't shoot 1-1/8th boomers regularly, rather 1 oz 1280 is my normal load, but I can shoot the boomers without issue in the 391/ISIS.)

As re weight, in all 4 guns I did them on the ISIS basically weighed the same amount as the wood removed to install it. The unit is a little over a inch long, so that much butt gets cut off for same LOP, then some internal inletting required to make room for the hydraulic mechanism. When all said and done, all of my guns were within +/- 1 oz of the weight prior and didn't need any re-balancing. In fact, adding lightweight adjustable comb hardware adds more weight than an ISIS does.

Two important notes: In all of my guns, I used the largest "Trap" model ISIS and I do recommend it for all shooters unless you have a very short LOP (under 13-1/2") and are installing on an auto like the 391 with the mainspring tube in the stock. Here you would probably want to consider the regular sporting model which has a shorter hydraulic cylinder to clear the internal stock retaining bolt. Second item is springs. The ISIS comes with 4 sets -- extra light, light, med and heavy. I reco and use the extra-light in ALL of my guns and would stick with it even if I shot the boomer loads in the O/U. Final note is the ISIS takes about 100 rounds to break in. The first few shots the mechanism is pretty stiff and may feel like it isn't doing a lot, but it definitely loosens up after your first round of clays.

Seriously, once you've shot with one, you'll never go back. There are guys I know that love them so much they have them on their 20ga 391's! I am not that addicted to them, but don't diss them for it either. (Actually, the ISIS is two parts, the mechanism and their proprietary pad which they also sell separately and in multiple thicknesses. The pads themselves are very light and very durable AND soak up recoil all on their own, and I DO have their pads on my 20ga 391 and 410 O/U!)

617422, I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:12 am 
Limited Edition

I have a low rib F3 that has one about 3-4 years ago and no problems, I put one on my new Hi rib F3 this yr the thing I like is it doesnt move much so recovery for 2nd shot is just like a solid stock you should be able to use lite springs or med. on semi-auto's.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:55 am 
Field Grade

Well, I'm looking too for a recoil reduction for my OU
right now I have on my 682 the Gracoil and it's OK.......
Yesterday at the range I shot 3 guns, shells speed 1200 FPS
Perazzi with Gsquare (8.6 lbs)
Perazzi with ISIS (8.8 lbs)
Blaser with Gsquare (8 lbs.)
The Gracoil and the ISIS to me feel the same, like a medium soft punch on the shoulder (spring mechanism) and more muzzle jump
The Gsquare was like a soft push no muzzle jump (I like it), (air mechanism).
The price are very different from $250 up to $1300
I guess you get what you pay, but friend of mine he told me about the Air-Tec Stock
I googled and I think I found what I'm looking for
Fabrizio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bruce Ney installs a system similar to the G squared for about $500. I have it on my 391 and the gun is recoil free. Will work on O/U's too. I have shot the G squared and prefer the Ney unit as it uses springs and hydraulics vs air spring which is progressive.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

G squared is air only on mine no spring and the entire unit weighs about 3 oz.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

Illini Shooter wrote:
G squared is air only on mine no spring and the entire unit weighs about 3 oz.

The Ney unit is the same one Anthony used for years. When installed on a 391 with a Briley cap up front it balances nice. If weight is an issue then the isis or g squared are the choice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

David Izzard makes a superb product, I have his units on most of my guns and swear by them, but you guys in the US have quite a few other options, I would look around and source something locally, but for me and many other Aussie shooters the ISIS is a great product and works very well, sucks up recoil like no other system, well non that we have here anyway. I have nothing but praise for the ISIS set up.

Cheers

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:18 pm 
Limited Edition

I have an adjustable SofTouch and it works very well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have been looking at the ISIS because the gun still looks like a gun. The Precision Fit, G-Square, Soft Touch, etc. all work great; I have owned most of them over the years. Even though they help recoil - to me, they ruined the appearance of the gun.

The ISIS just looks like a long recoil pad. I know appearance doesn't break targets, but I do like the "gun look" - not a prosthetic piece.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:17 pm 
Field Grade

I've used an ISIS on a 391 for about 7 yrs and absolutely love it. I now have 3 of them and several friends have started using them after they tried mine. You will not regret placing the ISIS on your gun. Mine is working as well or better than when it was installed.
Joe O

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:12 pm 
Utility Grade

I own two ISIS units. One is on a 391 and one on a K-80. I am a big fan.

The add very (if any) weight and looks better than the other options. Significantly reduces recoil. I do not notice the movement of the comb.

You won't be disappointed.

NCShooter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Ney system is simply a Counter Coil with a sliding comb.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have the isis on a k-80 and one on a pizza gun. I chose it because it is weight neutral. Contact Dave directly. I got them cheaper from him shipped from england than I could buy them here.
Oh, I think they are great, tried several others.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:42 am 
Limited Edition

DrtRdr, At last you have seen the light! 8) You have the makings of a
serious shooter at last :lol:
I have to agree with you on Dave Izzard he is a qualified engineer who
was/is a great shooter who suffered from recoil, so when he retired designed the Isis system and recoil pads etc.,
Now you will have NO excuses for shooting badly at the Worl Fitasc at Northover and it will be Good Ole American target setters setting the targets! I am sorry that I won't be there to kick some setters asses in shape! :( I'll still bet on George to win it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:33 am 
Presentation Grade

Has anyone had any experience with Isis' new adjustable but plates used inconjuction with their recoil reduction system?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

LongRanger wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with Isis' new adjustable but plates used inconjuction with their recoil reduction system?

I have on on my O/U to address toe and it works great. It adjusts up, down, left right and pivots. It's also very light for an adjustable pad plate, but adds another ounce or two to the butt. The unit itself is about 5mm thick though comes with a pad attached. It uses the same pads and they can be swapped, but the one mounted on the plate has 2 additional holes for accessing the adjuster screws in the plate, so other pads need to be drilled for those holes.

617422, I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

What about Ken Rucker's system?......Jack