CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning 725 and subgauge tubes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Can the 725 be used with 28 and 410 tubes??

Post subject: Re: Browning 725 and subgauge tubes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes,and since it has the FIRE LITE MECHANICAL TRIGGER, it does not require trigger work to reset the trigger on the smaller gauges.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

Dano523 wrote:
Yes,and since it has the FIRE LITE MECHANICAL TRIGGER, it does not require trigger work to reset the trigger on the smaller gauges.

This is not so. I have NO personel experience, but someone posted on this BB somewhere that their 725 would NOT reset the trigger with sub-gauge shells.

Would fire twice when empty, but NOT with sub-gauge shells.

A search on here will find it, sorry I don't know how to link it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Kgunner wrote:

Would fire twice when empty, but NOT with sub-gauge shells.

That's interesting, as it makes absolutely no sense at all. If the gun will fire both barrels empty, without a strong slap on the butt pad, then it presumably has mechanical triggers. No reason putting tubes in it would change its operation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

My Daughter just got one of the first in Aussie, had Briley 28G tubes fitted, she has shot about 4 slabs since and not an issue, but I can't comment on .410 although one would think due to the mechanical triggers it should be OK? the 725 was very light with 28" barrels at 7.5lb's so the 28G tubes and a nice custom fitted balance system in the stock made the whole unit just a tad over 8.5lb's as my Daughter only shoots dedicated 28G or Tubed 28G guns, once balanced we don't have to worry about it and just leave it as is, as I said not an issue with 28G shells, smokes targets and hasn't missed a beat yet.

Chers

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hope this works.

viewtopic.php?f&t=295127

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I just got my 725 back from Briley with a full set of Ultimate Ultralites. A trigger job was needed to get the 410 to fire. I don't know a lot about triggers, but my understanding is that it's not truly a mechanical trigger (see the link in the post above)...I know there is a video of the trigger mechanism running around somewhere, maybe someone with more experience than me can chime in.

On the positive side, Briley did a GREAT job! I had the the gun back in 2 1/2 weeks! And it performs fantastic! I'm very happy...you won't regret it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

Kgunner wrote:

That's wierd Simon, as I said my Daughter uses 28G with full length Briley Ultra Lites, we have not had an issue at all, I wonder if it's related to the shorter tubes or maybe shells, just seems wierd that it works on an empty chamber yet not on live shells, mechanical is mechanical it should have no effect if fired on or off shells, but I'm not an expert and can only say what we experienced which was no trouble to date, she gets the .410 next week and I'll send you a post as to how we go with that, it's realy wieard, but funnier things have happened with guns..

Cheers

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:47 pm 
Crown Grade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyL5y-_gvQI

Look at this video about 18 seconds in,

Note that when the action closes (lock goes forward to lock into the monoblock lugs), the lock back section clears the FCG parts forward.

Now with the gun locked without the tubes, note the position of the lever.

Now load the tubes, drop in a rounds, close the action, and note the lever position again.

IF the lever position is not back to gun empty position with tubes or ammo, then you have a problem with the tubes not allowing action not completely closings, Hence the lock still interfering with the FCG and why you are not getting the second trigger reset.

Bottom line, if the gun will fire both barrel empty, then it should do so with 410 ammo as well. If the gun will not dry fire both barrels empty, then it time to send the gun back to Browning to correct the problem instead.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:58 am 
Tournament Grade

I noticed they never actually said mechanical trigger in that video. It's always mechanical firing mechanism.

Looks like the same inertia block on all their citoris.

Probably has the same trigger piston spring as well.

Looks like the 2008 parts catalog is still the current version.

104 B1334496 TRIGGER PISTON SPRING 12-16-20 GA $2.75
104 B1334499 TRIGGER PISTON SPRING 28 GA $2.75
104 B1334495 TRIGGER PISTON SPRING .410 BORE $2.75

$2.75 plus shipping and about 10 minutes of work should get you there.

Briley did the original work on my citori. They simply clipped 3 or 4 coils off of the 12 gauge trigger piston spring. I've since replaced it with the .410 spring and the triggers work even better.

Brad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Brad F wrote:
I noticed they never actually said mechanical trigger in that video. It's always mechanical firing mechanism.

You may be right, with the trigger still Bump mechanical, instead of true mechanical reset. I have taken another look and there is nothing tied to the trigger that is driving the inertia block back via the trigger pull to reset the triggers, so it still comes down to a light enough "release" tension that the sears will disengage from hammer jarring to the receiver alone.

At 2:28, it states a lighter load needed, meaning that you still have to swap the trigger base spring with a 410 spring to get the block to come back for reset for 410 loads in most cases.

But on the positive note, the 410 spring is only around $4, and take just a few mins to swap out, or just tie the trigger into the block so it drives it back during the last of the trigger pull instead.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

If you want to see how the parts are moving pull the stock and then pull the trigger twice on an unloaded but cocked gun. You should see the trigger connector lift the sear of the first hammer, hammer falling, sear falling away from the trigger connector. Release the trigger and the trigger connector should connect with the second sear. Pulling the trigger a second time, the trigger connector lifts the sear of the second hammer and the hammer falls. The inertia block doesn't have to move or at least not very far since the trigger connector is also connected to the inertia block